OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bad news:
The infection seems to be progressing. Fish is eating and swimming, but the thing is that I don't even know what they normally swim like. I know they kinda swim like an eel.

Had been using Kannaplex for 3 days, I'm going to stop it. Maybe wait for my nitrofuracin and sulfaplex to arrive to do a powerful trio-antibiotic bath?

Can I use Paraguard to dip him?

I'm planning on doing an FW dip for now, then applying some Erythromycin ointment to the wound and letting it sit in a med-less waterbody.

Is this kind of bacterial infection contagious? The other fish looks fine and I don't want them to have it. If necessary I can euthanize the high hat.

Pics attached.

@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 @Tamberav

Attachments

• 6420c244b9f848192ecbfa2d31e99f7.jpg
    6420c244b9f848192ecbfa2d31e99f7.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 22
  • d2ca7e4c1690ac431c4d18309488c1f.jpg
    d2ca7e4c1690ac431c4d18309488c1f.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 27

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have bad news:
The infection seems to be progressing. Fish is eating and swimming, but the thing is that I don't even know what they normally swim like. I know they kinda swim like an eel.

Had been using Kannaplex for 3 days, I'm going to stop it. Maybe wait for my nitrofuracin and sulfaplex to arrive to do a powerful trio-antibiotic bath?

I'm planning on doing an FW dip for now, then applying some Erythromycin ointment to the wound and letting it sit in a med-less waterbody.

Is this kind of bacterial infection contagious? The other fish looks fine and I don't want them to have it. If necessary I can euthanize the high hat.

Pics attached.

Again - Maracyn 2 will do wonders which is mincycline hydrochlor based and is a gram-negative bacteria treatment, as well as sufficiently absorbed through the skin to treat internal infections. Since most bacteria that cause disease in marine fish are gram-negative and can quickly become systemic, Maracyn 2 would be the most effective choice. This should be done in quarantine. Increase oxygen during treatment , even with an airstone. . Bacterial infections can stem from many causes, even combinations of contributing causes, and can be topical . . . internal, external or both. Healthy fish have a strong, natural resistance to bacteria and can usually fight it off on their own, but weak, sick and/or stressed fish can be very susceptible to this illness.

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again - Maracyn 2 will do wonders which is mincycline hydrochlor based and is a gram-negative bacteria treatment, as well as sufficiently absorbed through the skin to treat internal infections. Since most bacteria that cause disease in marine fish are gram-negative and can quickly become systemic, Maracyn 2 would be the most effective choice. This should be done in quarantine. Increase oxygen during treatment , even with an airstone. . Bacterial infections can stem from many causes, even combinations of contributing causes, and can be topical . . . internal, external or both. Healthy fish have a strong, natural resistance to bacteria and can usually fight it off on their own, but weak, sick and/or stressed fish can be very susceptible to this illness.
If I remembered correctly, maracyn 2's effective ingredient is minocycline?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think the dips will just further stress him. You can try painting the wound with topicals if that’s all you have on hand. Even iodine but it will wash off.

Whatever you can get fast is what I would use. Any LFS? Not sure what pecto or petsmart has on hand

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bad news:

Pics attached.

Skip the paraguard, that will just irritate the skin further. It typically takes 3 to 5 days for a fish antibiotic to stop an infection. Cutting the treatment short and trying something else may not always be the best idea - that’s why bacterial infections are so tough to deal with.
Jay

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip the paraguard, that will just irritate the skin further. It typically takes 3 to 5 days for a fish antibiotic to stop an infection. Cutting the treatment short and trying something else may not always be the best idea - that’s why bacterial infections are so tough to deal with.
Jay
Well I did the FW dip, and it seems that the fish can't balance itself now.

I'm kinda beaten up now, a lot of my friends just told me to get rid of this fish, they said that this kind of infection wasn't treatable and I should just dispose of it before it gets to other fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I did the FW dip, and it seems that the fish can't balance itself now.

I'm kinda beaten up now, a lot of my friends just told me to get rid of this fish, they said that this kind of infection wasn't treatable and I should just dispose of it before it gets to other fish.
I still think the root cause of this was trauma, therefore it won’t be contagious in the typical sense of the word - the other fish would first have to suffer an injury. Many bacteria that infect wounds are normally found in aquariums.
Jay

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not contagious... freshwater also offers no help for an infection :(

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not contagious... freshwater also offers no help for an infection :(
There was one stupid mistake: my friend (who I entrusted a lot) told me to wash the wound with FW and apply Erythromycin, but he made a typo and I thought he wants me to do a dip...(we text in Chinese so this can happen)
I feel sorry for the fishie

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back