Sexy Shrimp Feeding Frequency

AstroCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often are you feeding sexy shrimp? The reason I ask is that my eviota nano goby only gets fed pellets twice a week, the reason being that he/she eats a large amount of copepods on a daily basis. I like the low nutrient load that my twice weekly feeding is providing my tank, I don’t have a strong desire for this feeding regimen to increase significantly but also was contemplating on adding a sexy shrimp as my eviota nano goby is rarely outside of the live rock. Is this just a disaster waiting to happen if the sexy shrimp turns to eating my frags if not fed enough? How infrequently can you feed a sexy shrimp without them going hungry/turning on coral?

OP
OP
AstroCoral

AstroCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sexy shrimp will eat corals if they are not kept well fed. I used to feed my tank twice daily and the sexy shrimp I had at the time still ate my corals.
I should probably avoid sexy shrimp then, I greatly appreciate you sharing your experience. Not sure if there are any other shrimp options that stay relatively small for a Pico tank, I’ll have to keep looking around for something better suited for my tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AstroCoral

AstroCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with above, they munch on corals and seem to love zoa's, I can't keep zoa's in my main tank anymore.
I was reading they tend to eat zoa’s in some articles. I don’t have any zoanthids but I do have some euphyllia that I also read were targets of sexy shrimp.

Upvote 0

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I should probably avoid sexy shrimp then, I greatly appreciate you sharing your experience. Not sure if there are any other shrimp options that stay relatively small for a Pico tank, I’ll have to keep looking around for something better suited for my tank.
Glass anemone shrimp?

Screen Shot 2023-05-28 at 3.44.50 PM.png

Upvote 0

Acroconut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine don't seem to bother my Zoa's. They get most of their food stealing from my rock flower anemones, and occasionally pick on my cup coral, but have never done any lasting damage.

Upvote 0

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is the first I'm hearing of sexies eating coral, we sure this isn't rumors about dead tissue being eaten?

Mine didn't so much as even leave their mushroom coral host let alone pick at anything, I've never witness them catch any food when I fed the tank, not roam off the coral to get any. They tend to just eat the waste produced by their host or food that you spray into in.

For alternatives I'd recommend bumblebee shrimp, spotted anemone shrimp (Periclimenes brevicarpalis), or a blue coral banded shrimp (stays small so its significantly less threatening to fish).

Upvote 0

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This thread is the first I'm hearing of sexies eating coral, we sure this isn't rumors about dead tissue being eaten?

Mine didn't so much as even leave their mushroom coral host let alone pick at anything.
Nah, they'll eat the skirts off zoas, and are known to pretty reliably go after various corals if not fed very often. This isn't a case of scavengers getting blamed, sexies really do pick at corals.

Honestly, any shrimp that aren't also scavenging algae should generally be fed pretty frequently, and most cleaner-types won't eat algae. If you can get one, a plume shrimp/Donald Duck shrimp should do fine- mine didn't get fed for months (couldn't find it, thought it was dead) and it ate... something. Not corals.

Got any hermits? I like scarlet reef hermits- they're picky about shells, but fun to watch, and are about the most peaceful hermits you can get.

Upvote 0

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, they'll eat the skirts off zoas, and are known to pretty reliably go after various corals if not fed very often. This isn't a case of scavengers getting blamed, sexies really do pick at corals.

Honestly, any shrimp that aren't also scavenging algae should generally be fed pretty frequently, and most cleaner-types won't eat algae. If you can get one, a plume shrimp/Donald Duck shrimp should do fine- mine didn't get fed for months (couldn't find it, thought it was dead) and it ate... something. Not corals.

Got any hermits? I like scarlet reef hermits- they're picky about shells, but fun to watch, and are about the most peaceful hermits you can get.
Interesting, I wonder if that's the case for other symbiotic shrimp as well. Particularly white spot anemone shrimp.

My biggest disbelief is that a sexy shrimp would leave its host to go scavenge, but I supposed if there's a zoa garden nearby it wouldn't have any issues going near it and picking. My White spot anemone shrimp I see roam the whole tank, even swimming around at night but staying on the anemone during the day, I wonder if it would do something similar. There's too much GSP for me to notice any damage.

Upvote 0

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine haven’t shown any interest in my zoa’s. They hosted a hammer coral and seem to live on detritus. I saw one catch a mysis when I sprayed some in once.

Upvote 0

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t feed them. They seem to be scavengers/grazers

Attachments

• E1537B27-D328-4CFF-A03E-4CF3D9791E4E.jpeg
    E1537B27-D328-4CFF-A03E-4CF3D9791E4E.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 134F4D6E-7037-4CA0-819B-10F0BE0A2521.jpeg
    134F4D6E-7037-4CA0-819B-10F0BE0A2521.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 11
  • B1BAC829-F046-4F49-B3CE-71A316236FD2.jpeg
    B1BAC829-F046-4F49-B3CE-71A316236FD2.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 10
Upvote 0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back