BIG Changes happening.

In the past, all my aquariums have been run the exact same way. Lots of light, lots of flow, big skimmer, refugium, sandbed, dosing, and more.

What am I missing with this tank? Sand and a fuge.

Well today that changed, I added in a layer of crushed coral and a layer of aragonite on top. I also removed about 90% of my coral. It’s being held and taken care of by a friend.

This week I’m going to try to add in a 20 gallon tank to the system which I’ll fill with macro algae and live rock.

Now having said that, my nitrates are bottomed out. I NEED to raise them. Ordered some ammonia bicarbonate. Hopefully arrives tomorrow.

Pics of the tank as it stands. The sand really brightens up the tank and illuminates the fish so much more.


IMG_9785.jpeg
IMG_9771.jpeg
 
Oh man I also just realized I didn’t tell you guys the real cause of my issues. I had a heater fail and was electrocuting the tank! I suspect there’s also some heavy metal in the tank and will be running some cuprisorb.
 
Glad I found this thread! Happy to follow along!

Sorry to hear of the heater issue, but glad
You identified and taking steps to resolve! I’m a big fan of sand beds, and glad to see it on this set up! That purple tang is a beaut!
 
Glad I found this thread! Happy to follow along!

Sorry to hear of the heater issue, but glad
You identified and taking steps to resolve! I’m a big fan of sand beds, and glad to see it on this set up! That purple tang is a beaut!
Thanks for following along. I too am happy I found the issue. Makes me feel better knowing it wasn’t something I did or didn’t do. Having said that, I need to protect against this happening again. Some sort of monitor/controller is now a must.
 
Tank shot from today.

Amazing how this sand and fresh carbon has really cleared up the water column.
IMG_9811.jpeg
 
Ah, sand bed looks great-really adds to the overall look of the tank. More
Complete.

Glad the water is clearing up!
 
BIG Changes happening.

In the past, all my aquariums have been run the exact same way. Lots of light, lots of flow, big skimmer, refugium, sandbed, dosing, and more.

What am I missing with this tank? Sand and a fuge.

Well today that changed, I added in a layer of crushed coral and a layer of aragonite on top. I also removed about 90% of my coral. It’s being held and taken care of by a friend.

This week I’m going to try to add in a 20 gallon tank to the system which I’ll fill with macro algae and live rock.

Now having said that, my nitrates are bottomed out. I NEED to raise them. Ordered some ammonia bicarbonate. Hopefully arrives tomorrow.

Pics of the tank as it stands. The sand really brightens up the tank and illuminates the fish so much more.


IMG_9785.jpeg
IMG_9771.jpeg
I love the way the sand looks in there!
 
Posted using the new app! Love it.
 
Alright. First dose of ammonium bicarbonate is in the tank. As well, I’m starting another two day blackout. Fingers crossed!
 
Two day blackout worked wonders and nitrates are way higher… too high actually… oops! 15ppm.

Having said that I’ve turned the skimmer back on.

Some photos for your viewing pleasure.
IMG_9910.jpeg
IMG_9900.jpeg
IMG_9883.jpeg
IMG_9871.jpeg
 
Turned my skimmer on yesterday to see if nitrates would stabilize with it on and combined with dosing. Happy to report n03 is stable at 15ppm. So far anyway.

First day in a long while my toadstools have some actual polyp extension and not covered in Dino. We’re getting somewhere!
 
Added a juvenile chocolate tang and a couple pistol shrimp so my two watchman gobies can hopefully make some permanent burrows and stop fighting.
 
Days now with no Dino’s. Diatoms on the sand but that’s normal. Nitrate and phosphate slightly high as I have very little coral but I’m very okay with that.

Fish are all getting along.
Good times.

IMG_0014.jpeg
 
Going to pick up all my coral in a few hours. Can’t wait to have them
Back in the tank!
 
I added a stunning scopas tang about 3 weeks ago. Problem is the purple was being a giant butt and shredded the poor thing.

It’s been in my sump for 3 weeks and I was finally able to bring it to Alex’s today. Forgot how stunning these fish are. Almost looks like a hybrid of some sort!
IMG_0223.jpeg


While I was catching the tang I realized my Trochus had been having babies for so long that I had about two dozen in the sump that were large enough to be moved to the main tank. Left some smaller ones in the sink for them to get bigger before theyre moved.
IMG_0220.jpeg

IMG_0217.jpeg
 
ANOTHER HEATER FAILURE!!! What a pain In the butt. Luckily we’re in summer and I don’t really need one right now but oh my god that’s annoying.

Picked up big bag of polyester floss today, going to do a big water change. Also decided to get back into sps with some easy peasy montis. On the hunt for some old school Monti cap!
 
The tank is responding so well to the water changes. Corals are looking fantastic.

Visited a local reefer today and picked up a frag or orange Monti cap which I’ve glued to the back wall. Will add some awesome depth once grown.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new