Not sure why I didn’t think of this before…… my lights were on way too high! I turned out the intensity by 40% and shortened my photo period. Should help with algae.
 
Did some testing this week. Nutrients are sky high AGAIN.

In order to combat this before im able to lighten my livestock load. I'm going to start introducing some vinegar dosing.

Starting tonight. Will monitor the n03 carefully.
 
Well one week of vinegar dosing and nitrate has increased haha… keep on keeping on
 
You got a good skimmer? Refugium? I have similar bioload and if I cut down on fat fish feedings at all my nutrients go way down.
I have a great skimmer. Way too high of a bioload though in my personal opinion. I’m actually adding some water volume very soon with added rock and macro algae. Should help a ton.
 
Gotya. I have 18 fish and some largish bodied fish (not as big as yours mind you) and between the refugium, skimmer, and coral growth I’m usually battling the other side of nutrient issues (too low/maybe zero) even keeping all fish fat and healthy with multiple daily feeds. I can only get nutrients to rise if I focus on heavy feeding and I mean really focus. Like wrasses literally not being able to stuff another shrimp in.
Sounds like you have a good plan laid out!
 
Gotya. I have 18 fish and some largish bodied fish (not as big as yours mind you) and between the refugium, skimmer, and coral growth I’m usually battling the other side of nutrient issues (too low/maybe zero) even keeping all fish fat and healthy with multiple daily feeds. I can only get nutrients to rise if I focus on heavy feeding and I mean really focus. Like wrasses literally not being able to stuff another shrimp in.
Haha lucky you!! I’d much rather deal with low nutrients. It will get there though I’m not too concerned.
 
Nitrates slowly starting to drop. Found a good price on a brute can. Going to pick it up this weekend and add a trash can refugium. More water, more rock, macro. Going to be great. Not giving up on this tank, it is going to be AMAZING.
 
With a large can for mixing I’ve started doing some much needed larger water changes.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1722.jpeg
    IMG_1722.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 65
With a large can for mixing I’ve started doing some much needed larger water changes.
How many gallons are you doing? I was going to say you could get another brute trash can or something like that if it would be easier on you than toting a bunch of buckets around, haha.
 
How many gallons are you doing? I was going to say you could get another brute trash can or something like that if it would be easier on you than toting a bunch of buckets around, haha.
Haha you’re not wrong. I’ve got the big mixing barrel but use the pails for waste water. I’ll get a better system eventually
 
Finally got a proper magnet scraper…. The tank has never looked better. Going to stick to weekly 25% changes for a while.
 
Is it weird that I’m proud of myself for doing the absolute minimum? Haha

Regular water changes are making such a dramatic difference. Obviously….
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1851.jpeg
    IMG_1851.jpeg
    243.1 KB · Views: 77
Added a bunch of gorgonian and toadstool today. As well, a nice chunk of cyphastrea.
IMG_1889.jpeg
 
More coral added! Tank is doing quite well. I also started dosing a bit of bacteria, I think the tank needs it. Some may say it’s snake oil, I’ve had success with it in the past, so here we are.

IMG_2112.jpeg
IMG_2110.jpeg
IMG_2111.jpeg
 
Started dosing Coral Essentials Gro and Amino today. As well, Iodum by Aquaforest.

I used to dose iodide in tanks of old and found that my leathers, Gorgs, and mushrooms all responded very well.

Pic of my chocolate tang transitioning into adult colouration.

IMG_2159.jpeg
 
I’m also seriously considering a large change to my aquascape. This scape was great for sps but obviously my stocking plans have changed.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 4.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new