Shipwreck/Decor???

(Poseidon)

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'm currently considering getting back in to the fish keeping hobbie and debating setting my old 125 gallon back up as an freshwater cichlid tank. Going through my Dad's garage, I found an old decor we used in the tank many moons ago. Its a large sunken warship that's broken in three sections. I'm not a fan of fake decor, but I must say this thing is pretty detailed and I may just use it to take up some center space until i can get something better. My question to you folks that aquascape, how would you go about aquascaping a shipwreck and make it look decent or at least semi-natural?
Also, Any history buff out there, is this vessel based off any ship you can recognize? Just curious! :)
Thanks!

s-l1600.jpg

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put some rocks in and make a cliff then left piece on top the cliff.
Middle piece half hanging off verticle so nearly slipping off the edge ( use epixy to position it)
Then right piece ( front of ship) down at bottom of cliff on sand bed or Gravel whichever you having.
So the effect is like its sunk then hit bottom then broken into pieces.

On my crude drawing the black is rocks and red is the ship
Sorry quick 20 seconds sketch as watching film

20211006_215253.jpg

OP
OP
(Poseidon)

(Poseidon)

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you end up using the ship wreck and running it freshwater, I would stock it with nano fish. The smaller the better, that way you can have some nice scale against the shipwreck. I think that would look really cool.
I'll consider it! Especially some schooling fish.:D
Put some rocks in and make a cliff then left piece on top the cliff.
Middle piece half hanging off verticle so nearly slipping off the edge ( use epixy to position it)
Then right piece ( front of ship) down at bottom of cliff on sand bed or Gravel whichever you having.
So the effect is like its sunk then hit bottom then broken into pieces.

On my crude drawing the black is rocks and red is the ship
Sorry quick 20 seconds sketch as watching film

20211006_215253.jpg
I see what you were doing, like it sank on a slope. Note taken my friend!!!:);Shamefullyembarrased
The fish and inverts will love it - if they ever come out, that is!
Indeed;) It's hull is full of holes and space they can take refuge in!

Last edited:
OP
OP
(Poseidon)

(Poseidon)

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wanted to, you can put some Christmas or Java moss on parts of the ship to put some “age” to it.
Good idea, make it look like its been there some time. I was considering letting algae build up on it, but I'll consider this!;) Thanks!
They need some encrusting plants in the fw world. I love the look of moss but I hate when it grows out and starts floating/growing everywhere.
Right, it'd be nice!
Make the battleship a feature, aquascape around it and then put in a half dozen black long spine urchins to look like naval mines.
LOL creative I must say!

OP
OP
(Poseidon)

(Poseidon)

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SC017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, Any history buff out there, is this vessel based off any ship you can recognize? Just curious! :)
Thanks!

s-l1600.jpg
I don't think its based on any specific vessel, at least not your typical WW2 Pacific theatre ones that I usually deal in.

The rear with the stepped deck suggests a modern ship with a helicopter landing, as do the (hard to tell) Single turrets.
The superfiring auxillary gun mounts above the main battery is kinda odd though.

Stevel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old WWII Japanese zero airplane with broken wings . Coral growing nicely on it and looks cool with my fish swimming in and around it.

Attachments

• C326D884-4938-44C3-A86D-979C436C2716.jpeg
    C326D884-4938-44C3-A86D-979C436C2716.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 205
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 192
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 188
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 201
OP
OP
(Poseidon)

(Poseidon)

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think its based on any specific vessel, at least not your typical WW2 Pacific theatre ones that I usually deal in.

The rear with the stepped deck suggests a modern ship with a helicopter landing, as do the (hard to tell) Single turrets.
The superfiring auxillary gun mounts above the main battery is kinda odd though.
Thanks:cool:! I always wondered if the creator of these products ever took inspiration from actual ships that existed or if they just came up with whatever's off the top of the heads. Especially with the typical galleon decors floating around out there.
I have an old WWII Japanese zero airplane with broken wings . Coral growing nicely on it and looks cool with my fish swimming in and around it.
I absolutely love your set up! The plane is literally becoming apart of the reef. Love the broken wings, did it come like that? Or did you break it? Either way its really cool! Giving me some inspiration... Not just the plane, but the aquascape overall!;):)

OP
OP
(Poseidon)

(Poseidon)

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A few closer photos! I believe the turrets are double. Just a few broke off near the stern.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpeg
    thumbnail.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 176
  • thumbnail (1).jpeg
    thumbnail (1).jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 149
  • thumbnail (2).jpeg
    thumbnail (2).jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 127
  • thumbnail (3).jpeg
    thumbnail (3).jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 123

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I typed in f241 battleship on google and a turkish war ship came up.not checked to see if same as yours but its got the heli pad at rear of ship same as yours correct? I will check after post this,couple screenshots incase link doesnt work ^_^

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211007-222659_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211007-222659_Chrome.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 115
  • Screenshot_20211007-222708_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211007-222708_Chrome.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 124

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
neat looking ship!

the trouble with artificial decorations in saltwater tanks is that coralline algae eventually covers them up (unless the decoration is regularly taken out and scrubbed).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back