Shipwreck/Decor???

Stevel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks:cool:! I always wondered if the creator of these products ever took inspiration from actual ships that existed or if they just came up with whatever's off the top of the heads. Especially with the typical galleon decors floating around out there.

I absolutely love your set up! The plane is literally becoming apart of the reef. Love the broken wings, did it come like that? Or did you break it? Either way its really cool! Giving me some inspiration... Not just the plane, but the aquascape overall!;):)
Yes plane came that way and corals seem to love growing on it.

OP
OP
(Poseidon)

(Poseidon)

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me that is the goal.
It makes the artificial object seem much more "in-place" covered with algae, rather then the bright plastic look most things have.
Indeed! I dont care for fake decors, but I will say if someone could make them like semi natural... it can look decent- ish lol;Joyful
Yes plane came that way and corals seem to love growing on it.
I love it! I dont see many plane decors, its very unique. Thats kinda why I wanted to do the battleship. I dont see this particular model around much any.

OP
OP
(Poseidon)

(Poseidon)

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I typed in f241 battleship on google and a turkish war ship came up.not checked to see if same as yours but its got the heli pad at rear of ship same as yours correct? I will check after post this,couple screenshots incase link doesnt work ^_^
That looks similar! That may have been where they took inspiration at least! Thanks~ Wouldnt have ever thought! ;)
neat looking ship!

the trouble with artificial decorations in saltwater tanks is that coralline algae eventually covers them up (unless the decoration is regularly taken out and scrubbed).
Thank you, we've had it for at least 10 years sitting in my dads garage.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put some rocks in and make a cliff then left piece on top the cliff.
Middle piece half hanging off verticle so nearly slipping off the edge ( use epixy to position it)
Then right piece ( front of ship) down at bottom of cliff on sand bed or Gravel whichever you having.
So the effect is like its sunk then hit bottom then broken into pieces.

On my crude drawing the black is rocks and red is the ship
Sorry quick 20 seconds sketch as watching film

20211006_215253.jpg
1633818029367.png

1633818061234.png

DARTHROB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'm currently considering getting back in to the fish keeping hobbie and debating setting my old 125 gallon back up as an freshwater cichlid tank. Going through my Dad's garage, I found an old decor we used in the tank many moons ago. Its a large sunken warship that's broken in three sections. I'm not a fan of fake decor, but I must say this thing is pretty detailed and I may just use it to take up some center space until i can get something better. My question to you folks that aquascape, how would you go about aquascaping a shipwreck and make it look decent or at least semi-natural?
Also, Any history buff out there, is this vessel based off any ship you can recognize? Just curious! :)
Thanks!

s-l1600.jpg
Very cool. I'm in the process of setting up a new saltwater tank and used Marcos aquascaping mortar to blend the artificial with the natural rock.

Attachments

• 20211011_111646.jpg
    20211011_111646.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 20211011_111626.jpg
    20211011_111626.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
(Poseidon)

(Poseidon)

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly where i got idea from ^_^
Got 4 year old girl so watched finding nemo and finding dori like 300 times lol
I love it! And there's nothing wrong with that. I'd watch Finding Nemo any day. People think I'm weird because I love 20,000 leagues under the sea. It is what it is!;)
Very cool. I'm in the process of setting up a new saltwater tank and used Marcos aquascaping mortar to blend the artificial with the natural rock.
WOW, I love that!!!:eek:;) Love the arrangement. Is that a ornament or a model? You must be a Star Wars fan, but I must say thats not something I see everyday. Big props.

DARTHROB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it! And there's nothing wrong with that. I'd watch Finding Nemo any day. People think I'm weird because I love 20,000 leagues under the sea. It is what it is!;)

WOW, I love that!!!:eek:;) Love the arrangement. Is that a ornament or a model? You must be a Star Wars fan, but I must say thats not something I see everyday. Big props.
They're actual aquarium decors. Found them at my LFS years ago and had them in my freshwater tank before buying this awesome custom job from Glasscages. Not official Star Wars license, but good enough for me! I lucked out, the wife and I are both huge Star Wars fans. :)

OP
OP
(Poseidon)

(Poseidon)

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're actual aquarium decors. Found them at my LFS years ago and had them in my freshwater tank before buying this awesome custom job from Glasscages. Not official Star Wars license, but good enough for me! I lucked out, the wife and I are both huge Star Wars fans. :)
Wow, thats a shocker! I would of thought they were a legit model kit or a figure of some type. That's so cool. The sea is like another world in itself, so it only makes them look cooler. I think I may go with your approach with blinding the rock with the decor itself so it looks like apart of the "reef".

OP
OP
(Poseidon)

(Poseidon)

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my shipwreck. You can hardly see it now.
71E7A406-DB37-4BA6-9E0D-634402F80088.jpeg
That's just lovely! I can make out the figurehead and part of the hull, looks like a Galleon. Everything else has been claimed by the "sea". Most shipwreck decor's are really tacky, but I like yours. Where did you get it from?

Last edited:

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would look great in a reef tank, especially when it gets some coralline algae on it! I think that some reefers get a little too serious about how "natural" their tank looks, instead of just enjoying and having fun with it. :)

You have had a lot of great suggestions so far. Do let us know what you decide to do! ;)

OP
OP
(Poseidon)

(Poseidon)

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would look great in a reef tank, especially when it gets some coralline algae on it! I think that some reefers get a little too serious about how "natural" their tank looks, instead of just enjoying and having fun with it. :)

You have had a lot of great suggestions so far. Do let us know what you decide to do! ;)
Thanks! I will. And I think that's what makes the hobby so enjoyable. Its really like art in itself. I can appreciate fake decors if they are well made or realistic in a sense. Others are questionable... example:

Attachments

• 61Y9knZtesL.jpg
    61Y9knZtesL.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 77

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my shipwreck. You can hardly see it now.
71E7A406-DB37-4BA6-9E0D-634402F80088.jpeg
I was searching for a realistic large shipwreck and Found this one on EBay. (I have seen them come up once in awhile.) When it arrived, the ship was broken in half. Worked out just fine in 2 parts! I’ll look for better photos.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little off topic, but thread makes me want to incorporate Squidward’s Easter Island Moai in my aquascape! Seeing a Neon goby pair poke out of the windows would be awesome :)!
1634431269092.jpeg

SVC_117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe get some encrusting coral that'll grow on the ship

Stevel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already ahead of you . I have a nice piece of bubblegum montipora growing on body and some chalice on wings

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back