Shoals ...

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont blame them, Louisvilles a hoot!

Looking forward to hear how they fare in your dt.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are Azure’s the least aggressive or the whole Chrysiptera family ok? I want to eventually add a group to my 93 cube. Royal grammas would be nice too.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have ended up with the following - 35 yellow-tails, 5 azure, 3 rollands and 2 talbots. Rollands may actually be my favorite. The tuxedos did not survive the extra night in Louisville.

anbosu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuxedos tend to be a little touchier IME anyway, which is unfortunate given their cost compared to most of the other damsels in that genus.

U

User1

View Badges
So I have ended up with the following - 35 yellow-tails, 5 azure, 3 rollands and 2 talbots. Rollands may actually be my favorite. The tuxedos did not survive the extra night in Louisville.

Odd question but with that many yellow tails are you able to see the azures and rollands? I've not owned Rollands before but seem to recall they look somewhat similar to Talbots. Well in that both are lighter in body color light tan, white, or a purple hue. The others are mostly blue. Are you going to try the tuxedo's again?

I know while diving I see them behave similar to Anthias in which lots of different types are mixed together. Once my current tank matures more I plan on buying several of each to see if I can replicate that.

Reefaddict1979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many anthias did you try. I have 6 lyertails, 6 barletts and 4 biamacs they all seem to be getting along its been a year so far only 1 carpet driver so far.
Well getting along as far as annthias are concerned :)

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd question but with that many yellow tails are you able to see the azures and rollands? I've not owned Rollands before but seem to recall they look somewhat similar to Talbots. Well in that both are lighter in body color light tan, white, or a purple hue. The others are mostly blue. Are you going to try the tuxedo's again?.

The azures have essentially integrated themselves in with the yellow tails, though they're pretty easy to spot given the additional yellow on the belly. Rolland's tend to keep to themselves and are quite distinct. Talbots are a bit bland frankly. I may try to add some more Rolland's but two Talbots is enough LOL. I do plan to try the tuxedos again, but not until the weather cools down a bit.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many anthias did you try. I have 6 lyertails, 6 barletts and 4 biamacs they all seem to be getting along its been a year so far only 1 carpet driver so far.
Well getting along as far as annthias are concerned :)

Well, they're all in the 'larger' anthias category so they will do ok. Bimacs are the calmest of three, bartletts more continuously 'chippy' and Lyretails mor occasionally murderous. I currently have 10 Bartlett, 4 bimacs, 4 resplendent .... and a trio of Pictilis in QT. No more Lyretails for me.

Reefaddict1979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good think is my lyertails tend to chase the other anthias around. So they don’t murder each other. I even have 2 males in the tank. Females after 4 years finally turned male.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bass Pro in Springfield has a big cylindrical tank, with a large school of small bait-fish. Not sure what kind, kinda look like anchovies or herring. Anyway, in the same tank is a small smooth hound shark (or at least that's what I think it is) and a small scalloped hammerhead. Both the sharks probably 3 feet or so. Nothing else, tank is otherwise empty, no decorations, dim lighting... Trying to simulate open ocean. View-able from two points along the sides, and a dome from directly below the tank.

The constant swirling school of baitfish is mesmerizing. It'd be a real challenge for a home aquarist, but man, I love that tank.

Baitfish.jpg

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, they're all in the 'larger' anthias category so they will do ok. Bimacs are the calmest of three, bartletts more continuously 'chippy' and Lyretails mor occasionally murderous. I currently have 10 Bartlett, 4 bimacs, 4 resplendent .... and a trio of Pictilis in QT. No more Lyretails for me.

What's your QT regimen for anthias?

When you tried the Royal Grammas, how many did you have and how long?

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have continued to add damsels. Now up to about 45 yellow tails, plus the others. What I thought, and bought, to be talbots were something else. Still not entirely sure what. Up to about 60 overall.

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ca1ore , did you ever end up getting some tuxedo damsels in your tank?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have continued to add damsels. Now up to about 45 yellow tails, plus the others. What I thought, and bought, to be talbots were something else. Still not entirely sure what. Up to about 60 overall.
Where is your proof?
Not done unless you show us a VIDEO.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the tangs, you should trade the Yellow and purple in for much younger ones. Then you can have the Gem and Black in your tank. That is the only way to get Black, Gem, Yellow and Purple in your tank without risk loosing the Gem or Black.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is your proof?
Not done unless you show us a VIDEO.

You can peruse my build thread .... proof there in spades LOL. FWIW, the 60 odd I started with doesn’t seem to have materially winnowed over the last two years. Impossible to count that many smaller fish of course.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can peruse my build thread .... proof there in spades LOL. FWIW, the 60 odd I started with doesn’t seem to have materially winnowed over the last two years. Impossible to count that many smaller fish of course.
Yest. I seen it but forgot. You got tons of fish in your tank.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back