Should I get a Bubble Tip Anemone?

Hugo Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks, how is it going? I’m here to ask if you guys think it’s prudent for me to add a Bubble tip Anemome to my 30 gallon tank. I’ve had the tank for almost a year and I’ve been using tap water conditioned with Prime and running lots of carbon, GFO, Purigen and a Bio pelette reactor. I keep the salinity at 1024 and temperature at 78°F.

I currently have 2 small clown fish, one spotted parem goby, one Royal Gramma and a Spoted tail bleny. Also several hermit crabs and 2 shrimps, a cleaner and a peppermint.

I also have a small frag of GSP that a added maybe 3 months ago.

All my parameters are good and I make regular water changes, every 2 weeks or so.

I run 2 A60 Kessil lights and a Innovative Marine refugiam light in the back for Cheato Algea.

The guy at my LFS said the because I use Tap water I might have issues with the anemone. Would you guys agree? I don’t have space at my New York apartment to run a RO/DI system. So if it’s not prudent to add the anemone, I just wouldn’t.

Please let me know your thoughts! And if you have any suggestions of what I should add next, they would be greatly appriciated!

Best,

Hugo Garcia

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks, how is it going? I’m here to ask if you guys think it’s prudent for me to add a Bubble tip Anemome to my 30 gallon tank. I’ve had the tank for almost a year and I’ve been using tap water conditioned with Prime and running lots of carbon, GFO, Purigen and a Bio pelette reactor. I keep the salinity at 1024 and temperature at 78°F.

I currently have 2 small clown fish, one spotted parem goby, one Royal Gramma and a Spoted tail bleny. Also several hermit crabs and 2 shrimps, a cleaner and a peppermint.

I also have a small frag of GSP that a added maybe 3 months ago.

All my parameters are good and I make regular water changes, every 2 weeks or so.

I run 2 A60 Kessil lights and a Innovative Marine refugiam light in the back for Cheato Algea.

The guy at my LFS said the because I use Tap water I might have issues with the anemone. Would you guys agree? I don’t have space at my New York apartment to run a RO/DI system. So if it’s not prudent to add the anemone, I just wouldn’t.

Please let me know your thoughts! And if you have any suggestions of what I should add next, they would be greatly appriciated!

Best,

Hugo Garcia
I would agree with that statement. Anemones, along with SPS corals are very finicky. Softies and lps can handle a wider spectrum of water conditions, but sps and anemones tend to like stable, pristine water. There are RO/DI systems such as the ro buddies that are compact, and can be attached to a faucet, and then unattached and stored away when not in use so there is no hard plumbing or permanent installation necessary. Otherwise check with your local fish store, many will sell ro/di water for you to use. Might be worth looking into :)

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always find it amusing to hear about how picky anemones are... I got my BTA when my tank was around 4 months old. She's still going strong, over a year later, despite all the new tank problems I've been having. Maybe I just got lucky - her lineage has been living in tanks for quite a while.

My hesitation here is the size. My BTA gets HUGE before she splits and I wouldn't want to have her in a smaller tank. I think she's fill half a 30 gallon.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would def suggest a cheap rodi unit if u want to be successfull with most corals.
many will sell ro/di water for you to use. Might be worth looking into

These are great suggestions.

If you do decided to place a bubble tip in the system, remember feed it. Your clowns my not feed the anemone a small piece of raw shrimp, at first and the anemone will starve without being feed. I had two that grew pretty big , stinging the corals around them. I had to remove one and tried to remove the other but it grew back:eek:

I was feeding twice a week, and now I just let the clowns do the feed and it and the anemone is staying relatively under control.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a BTA in a 10g tank for almost 6 months, no problem. However, it did get too big for the tank. I moved it to my 220g, and it continued to grow. Then it split. So now I have two BTAs that stayed close to each other, and ehen fully opened take up about an 18" diameter space - which would be a lot of space in your tank. Something to consider longer term ...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back