STJ1229

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've noticed that a lot of people are turning the ATO tank into a fuge. Did anybody turn it into a algae scrubber? I'm thinking about doing this. Same style with the drilled holes just on the short sides of the tank; one hole for inlet with pvc pipe into the bulkhead with a cap and mesh screen, other side drain hole and an emergency drain hole above it.

fredjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've noticed that a lot of people are turning the ATO tank into a fuge. Did anybody turn it into a algae scrubber? I'm thinking about doing this. Same style with the drilled holes just on the short sides of the tank; one hole for inlet with pvc pipe into the bulkhead with a cap and mesh screen, other side drain hole and an emergency drain hole above it.
I would love to see some pictures of that when you're done.

Wet_Fretboards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would love to see some pictures of that when you're done.

As would I.

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've not seen it done by I'd think it would be pretty cool. So +1 on the pictures if you do it!

Wet_Fretboards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys think the Sicce 2.0 is large enough for the 170? Will have MP10 or equivalent. Possibly an algae scrubber wyed off from return line.

ReeferSurf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 MP40's on the back wall... here's my current settings and yes, they can create the wave movement.
Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 1.59.51 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 2.00.14 PM.png

Wait, you run 2 mp40s? off the back wall of a 250 and can go at 60%??? Here i was thinking that was too much for a 350.

If above is true, time for me to get some mp40s. I got a mp10 which i would think would be exellect off the back wall but it dont hold :( I was thinking all this time the mp40 will be too much flow.

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys think the Sicce 2.0 is large enough for the 170? Will have MP10 or equivalent. Possibly an algae scrubber wyed off from return line.

If you go off Red Sea recommendation of 530gph, then no. Accounting for head the Sicce 2.0 with drop you to somewhere in the ball park of 350gph. I would suggest the Sicce 3.5 and dial it back as need if you wanted to keep with Red Sea's recommendation.

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, you run 2 mp40s? off the back wall of a 250 and can go at 60%??? Here i was thinking that was too much for a 350.

If above is true, time for me to get some mp40s. I got a mp10 which i would think would be exellect off the back wall but it dont hold :( I was thinking all this time the mp40 will be too much flow.

I was running into the same dilemma. I didn't think mp10's would be enough and I thought mp40's would be too much. In the end I was concerned with the mp10's holding and I would rather run low then high so I went with the 40's. I'm not sure I would recommend cranking them up to 60% necessarily, but I don't think they're too much for the tank to handle and you should definitely be able to make them work in a 350.

ReeferSurf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was running into the same dilemma. I didn't think mp10's would be enough and I thought mp40's would be too much. In the end I was concerned with the mp10's holding and I would rather run low then high so I went with the 40's. I'm not sure I would recommend cranking them up to 60% necessarily, but I don't think they're too much for the tank to handle and you should definitely be able to make them work in a 350.

What do you have them cranked up to most the time?

I think I will be running lagoon and reef mode, waves scare me

I'm running 4 mp10s with no issues. 2 on the back wall, 1 on each side.

I can get my mp10 up against the back wall, tried it once and it fell off. :( dunno if certain mp10 have variations in the magnet or what

You using a reefer 350?

STJ1229

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the algae scrubber idea-this is what I'm thinking. Here is a quick mock up drawing of what I have in mind. I could do it a few different ways! Option A:would be with the drain hole drilled right above the filter sock( in the bottom piece of glass) so any loose partials fall straight down into the stock filter sock. Option B: drill the hole on the side with a piece of pvc to drain down in front of the filter sock and catch nothing. This would cause some water build up in the container unlike option A where it all falls out. And I would also have to drill another hole above that for emergency build up.
7857a938097c8e5b5e42c5a49c68dad4.jpg

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the algae scrubber idea-this is what I'm thinking. Here is a quick mock up drawing of what I have in mind. I could do it a few different ways! Option A:would be with the drain hole drilled right above the filter sock( in the bottom piece of glass) so any loose partials fall straight down into the stock filter sock. Option B: drill the hole on the side with a piece of pvc to drain down in front of the filter sock and catch nothing. This would cause some water build up in the container unlike option A where it all falls out. And I would also have to drill another hole above that for emergency build up.
7857a938097c8e5b5e42c5a49c68dad4.jpg

I definitely think having it drain into the filter sock is ideal. It would help prevent algae escaping to your main display. I can also see a fair amount of noise being made by the water trickling into the filter sock. Just my thoughts.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back