BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Question: I have a reefer 450, just bought an H80 refugium light for my sump. Think it’s OK to hang it on the underside of the tank / top of stand with 2 small screws? Or is putting two small screws into the panel holding the tank too risky? Thoughts? I’d like to avoid the clip on mounting arm if I can avoid it...

Jhoussock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BDB9D169-A3FF-46C5-A6AB-ECEF945FCF99.jpeg
New to the reef world but thought I would contribute a small detail to the reefers that I haven’t seen. (May be common, again I’m new!) I took a straight edge and razored off the top portion of the black background above my water line and like how it turned out. Basically the rim is clear all the way around but below the water line I kept it black. From above it looks clear from below it looks like it has a black background....it’s the little things!

Lbrod126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the reef world but thought I would contribute a small detail to the reefers that I haven’t seen. (May be common, again I’m new!) I took a straight edge and razored off the top portion of the black background above my water line and like how it turned out. Basically the rim is clear all the way around but below the water line I kept it black. From above it looks clear from below it looks like it has a black background....it’s the little things!
Looks clean! Nice reefer btw!

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: I have a reefer 450, just bought an H80 refugium light for my sump. Think it’s OK to hang it on the underside of the tank / top of stand with 2 small screws? Or is putting two small screws into the panel holding the tank too risky? Thoughts? I’d like to avoid the clip on mounting arm if I can avoid it...
yes no problem at all. I attached my manifold to the underside using pipe clamps screwed to the reefer stand.

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 170 Reefer. The photos are of the bottom side of the tank. The back and front silicones seemed sloppy, peeled and even damaged. Is this a problem or should I try to get a replacement?

IMG_2307.JPG

IMG_2305.JPG

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would. The money put into this it isnt unreasonable to expect it to be near perfect. When I bought mine someone put their initials in sharpie on the glass under the paint on the back that was clearly visible, they replaced it for me

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 170 Reefer. The photos are of the bottom side of the tank. The back and front silicones seemed sloppy, peeled and even damaged. Is this a problem or should I try to get a replacement?

IMG_2307.JPG

IMG_2305.JPG

I have the same problem and forget about all the nice things you have heard about redsea great support
It was a real shock to me the responses etc

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_2307.JPG

IMG_2305.JPG

Do what you can to replace... I highly doubt they will... it was like trying to get a free car from them to replace a broken return piece I had...

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my RSR 250, 1 year old now.

33101e851f1be651b467facaea2100cf.jpg

858e52bf79a7f9e957116fadcca1d1e7.jpg

I do have one question, apologies if it has already been answered as I haven’t been through the entire thread yet!

Does anyone cover the ATO?
I was considering making/getting made a simple acrylic lid I can slip on the top of mine to stop evaporation and detritus landing in it.
What is sitting above your chiller

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_2307.JPG

IMG_2305.JPG
They are typically pristine when they come in. I would contact them. I believe they have an active rep on Reef2Reef.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a white 350 on its way - you just inspired me to peel the black plastic off the back ;).

nyknicks2544

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my 425XL replacer with seams that looked like yours in the same spot. Took 2 emails (one to introduce the problem and one with pictures).

I now have an extra tank in my apartment I don’t know what to do with. It isn’t broken but it’s not up to Red Sea standards.

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the size of the main down pipe and over flow on the first gen reefer 525xl?? Ive seen some people say 32mm and other 35mm for main and 25mm for over flow. Not home so I cant measure??

I want to put a flow monitor on it , is there a place to get metric adapter to us sizes?? I see coralvue has 32mm to 1in. I have apex 1" flow monitor.

Thanks
It’s 32mm main drain and 25mm for overflow. Many people modify them to 1” or so to do what your wanting to do.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank was replaced on warranty for a leak after 6 months. I had also contacted Red Sea via messenger on Facebook when the leak happen, that guy was overseas somewhere I'm assuming due to how the timing on responses played out. But if you feel the US rep is not handling things up to par, I'd reach beyond the US office if you haven't already.

I can say, if this is representative of the silicone they consider acceptable my next tank won't be a Red Sea Reefer.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my 425XL replacer with seams that looked like yours in the same spot. Took 2 emails (one to introduce the problem and one with pictures).

I now have an extra tank in my apartment I don’t know what to do with. It isn’t broken but it’s not up to Red Sea standards.
Offer it on craigslist as an terrarium for super cheap. I sold my leaking 250l tank for $50 with defect pointed out in the post and offered as good for a lizard or such.

Had it sold in days, I really only charged anything because I have found someone willing to pay a little something is less likely to flake out than people wanting free stuff.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back