AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to know what people with the reefer 525xl are doing for external skimmer collection? the sump that comes with the tank albeit nice and functional leaves zero room to put some sort of collection container that's connected to the skimmer collection cup to prevent overflowing back into the sump. As far as I know my only option is to drill into the stand a hole lower than the collection cup for gravity to allow it to drain into a container that unfortunately will have to be housed somewhere other than the sump part of the stand.
I'm using the Avast skim mate locker. Works well. Drilled a 2 inch hole just above the sump through the dividing wall. I also run the dosing lines through this hole.

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
750xxl about 7mo in. Waiting on my reef brite xho to arrive. Also installing 18g reservoir with osmolator asap to replace the Red Sea top off. 17g or so should last me almost two weeks. Just started dosing sodium nitrate to get the nitrates up as the biopellets were stripping too much out.

I'm going to replace the factory ATO in my 525. The stock one just doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence.

finallysalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS sent me this today, 625 came in quick. Waiting on a few other things, super excited!
a74c70536afcd3c90033e0db68e0d878.jpg

Night_shift_reefer_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got my 350 deluxe set up! An amazing tank but this ATO is making me nervous.

First problem I had was that the water would come out fine until the float “floated”. Once the float dropped again the water won’t drip out again.

Second problem is the water around the needle valve is leaking. Is there normally a o ring around the needle valve ? Thanks everyone!

finallysalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got my 350 deluxe set up! An amazing tank but this ATO is making me nervous.

First problem I had was that the water would come out fine until the float “floated”. Once the float dropped again the water won’t drip out again.

Second problem is the water around the needle valve is leaking. Is there normally a o ring around the needle valve ? Thanks everyone!
I have heard of repeated issues with the ATO. I have a 625xxl and I scrapped it when I set it up and added a Neptune ATK.

Night_shift_reefer_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of repeated issues with the ATO. I have a 625xxl and I scrapped it when I set it up and added a Neptune ATK.
Ya I think I’m going to do the same. Filling the ATO isn’t the easiest ether. I’ve got a osmolator nano from my old tank and think I’m going to use that instead.

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filling the ATO isn’t the easiest ether. I’ve got a osmolator nano from my old tank and think I’m going to use that instead.

The owner of my LFS said to make the drip hole in the float valve assembly a little bigger and it would help with the flow. He has three RS tanks running in his shop and all of them use the factory ATO. I just set up my 525 this past weekend so I don't know from personal experience (yet) if that will work or not but the guy hasn't steered me wrong so far. Making the hole larger was easy to do by hand with a drill bit. We'll see how well it works over the next week or so. The factory ATO makes me nervous too so I'm going watch it closely. I've got a Smart ATO on my small tank and it works great so I'll probably switch to that at some point.

Filling the reservoir is a pain. I bought a long funnel and that helped a little. I have to get one with a flexible tube and that should make it a little easier. I hope.

Arcticwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get that white cabinet?

It's just one of those simple cheap closet maid cube type cabinets from Home Depot, but I turned it sideways to hide all my equipment and to hide the fish food from the dogs. They've gone through 2 packs of food now...dunno what it is about the seaweed extreme but they want it!
white-closetmaid-wood-shelves-7070-64_300.jpg

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just upgraded from a 250 to a 350. Loving the white stand and the extra space! This is all that survived Irma though
20180107_235325.jpg

How long have you had the three different clownfish together? Do they get along? I think this is the first tank I have ever seen to mix them together. Do you have more or just those three? Thanks

Arcticwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the three different clownfish together? Do they get along? I think this is the first tank I have ever seen to mix them together. Do you have more or just those three? Thanks

Actually, I bought my old reefer 250 from a guy on Craigslist a couple of years ago and he had the thing overstocked with 7 clowns, a blue hippo tang, a chromis and 6 serpent stars. I rehomed all the clowns I could catch, including the largest who had to be kept separate from the others. The last 3 were too quick so I gave up and just kept them. The hippo tang didn't make it through Irma and and chromis struggled for a bit but really, they're the reason I wanted a bigger tank. I added the yellow tang recently and she does well with everyone. For a throuple of clowns, they get along weirdly well. In fact, once they settled into the new tank, they immediately laid eggs. I was unaware of this and tried to rearrange some rock looking for a frag that fell and they all started attacking me. Usually, they swim to the other side, but they weren't backing down. Realized I had my hand right across their eggs and they were pretty po'd. I put the rock back and noticed all 3 were guarding and tending to the eggs. Since there was such a large group of clowns of varying sizes, I wasn't sure who was male or female. Guess I have at least one female

Jcsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 750 XXL Coming in 2 weeks I would like to know how much evaporation you are getting a week. I am going to get a external tank in the basement and do not want to have to worry about it for 3-4 weeks at a time?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 92 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back