Show Off and Discuss Your Red Sea Reefer Series

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Broadfield, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Raptor72

Raptor72 Active Member TRC Member

Really? Such a thing exists? I went crazy for 2 weeks trying to find just the right hose. I have a braided one right now that seals 98% with the tightest hose clamp

M4rtin likes this.

2. AMEE

AMEE Active Member

I also changed the top adaptor for one I found in Home Depot. [​IMG]

I’m using 3/4” silicone hose from brs.

M4rtin likes this.
  3. jimmyzshack

jimmyzshack Member

my new 625 xxl deluxe is suppose to be in tomorrow. Can't wait it's been back ordered for a month

4. jk3

jk3 New Member

Hi Guys,

I just set up a second hand reefer 350 however accidentally cracked the emergency drain pipe tube. It's unable to be glued back together and red sea says a replacement is 3 months away! does anyone know of any replacements i could purchase? Or alternatively has any changed the proprietary drain tubes at the bottom of the overflow to be like a normal drilled tank?

Thanks

5. kinetic

kinetic Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I know someone who took their whole overflow out, and sealed the bottom with another pane of glass. They then drilled and attached a Shadow overflow kit instead. A few upsides: you can use whatever plumbing you want, you have more space without an internal overflow.

6. gammarho55

gammarho55 Member Build Thread Contributor

Was planning on mounting a DJ strip similar to your photo... How'd you go about mounting it to the side wall? Screws from opposite side thru to wood blocks, or were you able to find an actual mount that works? Thanks.

7. M4rtin

M4rtin Member

Run into a little problem, emergency drain pipe is leaking.
    Any tips ?

8. gammarho55

gammarho55 Member Build Thread Contributor

Figure I should join in on all this fun you guys are having, as I just purchased a XL 425. Come checkout my new build thread and let me know what you all think of my equipment list so far, and if there's anything I'm forgetting. Have already gotten a lot of inspiration from this thread, and I'm only on page 109 ;) . Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the knowledge sharing.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/gammarho55s-rsr-xl-425-build.347454/

20171230_125755.jpg 20171231_084343.jpg

jasonamyers likes this.
  9. saltwater newby

saltwater newby Active Member

Hello
    I used screws going from the inside out into the wood. I’m not crazy about drilling my cabinet but those holes will never show unless you tuck your head in there purposely looking for them.

gammarho55 likes this.
  10. renwah

renwah Active Member

Recommendations on a skimmer for a 425xl?

11. reefpulp

reefpulp Member

I've been lurking on this forum for a while and now I am in need of some advice. I have a RSR350 and am wanting to convert to the Triton method. I have a few questions. I have the ability to do a remote refugium in the room behind my tank. I'm planning on using a 20 gallon tank. Should I do an easier setup and run the fuge off a tee from the return line or should I route the overflow drain from the DT directly into the remote fuge? If I do that, do I just re route just the primary drain or the primary and the emergency drain? (I am a noob to plumbing but have learned a lot reading on R2R and BRS) How important is it that the refugium is before the skimmer and return when running Triton? Will dosing into the return chamber be a problem?
    Also, I will need to upgrade my return pump. I currently have the Sicce 5.0 and have been happy with it but I will need more flow to run a manifold and the remote refugium. Would adding a second Sicce 5.0 be too much flow and create too much back pressure? I am considering the more expensive option of using a larger DC pump such as Varios 6 or 8; Sicce 7 or 9; Eco Tech m1. Any advice is appreciated, I'm fairly new to the hobby but I'm not broke yet.

12. Gil03

Gil03 Active Member

Curious to know what people with the reefer 525xl are doing for external skimmer collection? the sump that comes with the tank albeit nice and functional leaves zero room to put some sort of collection container that's connected to the skimmer collection cup to prevent overflowing back into the sump. As far as I know my only option is to drill into the stand a hole lower than the collection cup for gravity to allow it to drain into a container that unfortunately will have to be housed somewhere other than the sump part of the stand.

13. R&J Reefs

R&J Reefs Member

Picked up the VCA random flow generator...

59D444D5-682F-4390-95D8-3ECBB5404E5A.jpeg

revhtree likes this.
  14. rishma

rishma Member

Interested to see your review.

15. mta_morrow

mta_morrow shoes & purses vs. coral & fish R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Can someone please tell me what size hose clamp (plastic one) will be needed for the return line that will connect to my return pump on a reefer 525

16. andyg1960

andyg1960 Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I just empty the cup

jwt1603 and mta_morrow like this.
  17. finallysalty

finallysalty Member

Just ordered 625 xxl and a great list of other goodies. I have been waiting a while to go all out on a set-up. Can't wait to get it up and running.

andyg1960, mta_morrow and R&J Reefs like this.
  18. andyg1960

andyg1960 Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Congrats. I think you will love it

finallysalty likes this.
  19. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Great tanks!

20. TX_Punisher

TX_Punisher Active Member

750xxl about 7mo in. Waiting on my reef brite xho to arrive. Also installing 18g reservoir with osmolator asap to replace the Red Sea top off. 17g or so should last me almost two weeks. Just started dosing sodium nitrate to get the nitrates up as the biopellets were stripping too much out. IMG_3699.JPG

Clayton Jessup and jwt1603 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted