Show off your Tangs

dstockwell

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ctenochaetus binotatus doing what Ctenochaetus does best! By far love this fish and the amount of colours they go through in a day.

I would get a picture of mine if the dang thing would stop long enough to get one. Exactly why my wife names it spooky.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a picture of mine if the dang thing would stop long enough to get one. Exactly why my wife names it spooky.
Mine is the easiest fish I have to get a photo of. The CBB is easy… he just likely to have his face right against the glass so I can’t get a full fish shot.

guppyken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my latest "gem" tang :star-struck:

ScopasTangPhoto.jpg

LyssaRanay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3D7B03EF-D7EB-4932-8058-ACFEF7635B6B.jpeg

Our Tang Gang. Yes yes I know. We have 3 sailfins and 1 purple. (Yes 4 zebrasomas) however they all get along and no aggression. We also have a tomini tang as well. We have a 220 DT. We bought all our tangs from Petco. GASP. But we had a 130 gallon quarantine set up and run them through it fully. All 3 sailfins were little babies when we purchased all at the same time and the purple was huge (much larger than them) so he automatically became the zebrasoma crew leader. That little tomini though is the real tank boss. Small but mighty. In the wild sailfin’s school so we thought it would be cool to have multiples but we knew going into it that it may not work, however they are all doing well and get along and are fat and happy.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3D7B03EF-D7EB-4932-8058-ACFEF7635B6B.jpeg

Our Tang Gang. Yes yes I know. We have 3 sailfins and 1 purple. (Yes 4 zebrasomas) however they all get along and no aggression. We also have a tomini tang as well. We have a 220 DT. We bought all our tangs from Petco. GASP. But we had a 130 gallon quarantine set up and run them through it fully. All 3 sailfins were little babies when we purchased all at the same time and the purple was huge (much larger than them) so he automatically became the zebrasoma crew leader. That little tomini though is the real tank boss. Small but mighty. In the wild sailfin’s school so we thought it would be cool to have multiples but we knew going into it that it may not work, however they are all doing well and get along and are fat and happy.
Are they all Z. veliferum? If you can keep the trio long term then I’ll definitely be following!

LyssaRanay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they all Z. veliferum? If you can keep the trio long term then I’ll definitely be following!
Yes they are all Z. Veliferum. No Desjardini. The plan is to see how long we can keep them together long term. We know at some point we may have to separate but in a perfect world they will stay together. LOL

airvicconcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are all Z. Veliferum. No Desjardini. The plan is to see how long we can keep them together long term. We know at some point we may have to separate but in a perfect world they will stay together. LOL
hello.
are your tangs behaving in a community? i have a P sailfin and a regal tang. i have bought a blonde naso and a scopas from my fish guy however im coy to add them in my dt just yet. the new ones ive bought are an inch larger than the ones in my aquarium. do they behave well with smaller fishes of the same species?

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello.
are your tangs behaving in a community? i have a P sailfin and a regal tang. i have bought a blonde naso and a scopas from my fish guy however im coy to add them in my dt just yet. the new ones ive bought are an inch larger than the ones in my aquarium. do they behave well with smaller fishes of the same species?
It’s always a gamble adding new fish of similar body shapes but it can work out. Definitely keep an eye on them at first. In my tank I intentionally “over populated” with tangs of the same body shape. There is an occasional minor scuffle but I agree with the theory that a bigger school means less targeted aggression between individuals. Everyone has a place to hide if needed and this helps. When I introduced my yellow gang (4 of them) I rearranged some of the rockscape to add some confusion to the mix. Oddly enough the only two that don’t get along are my foxface and powder blue! Lol No harm done, he just chases the powder blue sometimes. I also feed three times a day. This adds a heavy bio load but nobody needs to compete for food.
My Tang list:
Yellow x4
Gem
Purple
Naso
Powder blue
Twinspot bristle tooth

airvicconcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s always a gamble adding new fish of similar body shapes but it can work out. Definitely keep an eye on them at first. In my tank I intentionally “over populated” with tangs of the same body shape. There is an occasional minor scuffle but I agree with the theory that a bigger school means less targeted aggression between individuals. Everyone has a place to hide if needed and this helps. When I introduced my yellow gang (4 of them) I rearranged some of the rockscape to add some confusion to the mix. Oddly enough the only two that don’t get along are my foxface and powder blue! Lol No harm done, he just chases the powder blue sometimes. I also feed three times a day. This adds a heavy bio load but nobody needs to compete for food.
My Tang list:
Yellow x4
Gem
Purple
Naso
Powder blue
Twinspot bristle tooth
@Steph72 hello. Thank you for replying. I have a pretty new system with juvenile fish. I have a 150g DT with 2 Vlamingii (will remove soon) 1 Pacific sailfin tang, a regal tang and 2 lawnmover blended (which are so graceful to watch) my lfs has a new stock, he has a couple of tangs that interests me such as Blonde naso, scopas and powder blues (which has a notorious reputation) however they’re all at least 2 inches larger in size than the ones I have. all these fishes come from the Indian Ocean hence a temperature of 27c is set throughout. I was wondering if I should buy larger fish and keep with juveniles which are well established? :))

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Steph72 hello. Thank you for replying. I have a pretty new system with juvenile fish. I have a 150g DT with 2 Vlamingii (will remove soon) 1 Pacific sailfin tang, a regal tang and 2 lawnmover blended (which are so graceful to watch) my lfs has a new stock, he has a couple of tangs that interests me such as Blonde naso, scopas and powder blues (which has a notorious reputation) however they’re all at least 2 inches larger in size than the ones I have. all these fishes come from the Indian Ocean hence a temperature of 27c is set throughout. I was wondering if I should buy larger fish and keep with juveniles which are well established? :))
That’s a tough call since the new ones would be significantly larger. Most of mine were around the same size except the Twinspot (he’s about half the size of everyone else). As far as the powder blue goes, I know a lot of people are apprehensive because they get ick pretty easily and can be jerks but mine is an absolute doll. I don’t regret him for a second lol.

Any other folks out there have experience with introducing larger fish with juveniles?

You may want to post a poll in the fish forum or reach out to some of the #reefsquad peeps about their experience with compatibility. I don’t want to give you bad advice since my experience is limited to the tang gang I have now.

Back