Showoff Your.... Chromis?

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like everybody, has a chromis but there are no chromis show off threads? What is with that! I even searched the website and couldn't find anything, so I made this thread for all those who want to show off their chromis. We acknowledge that sometimes these fish can be mean devils, but we appreciate them nonetheless ;)

Here is a picture of my school of 5 chromis swimming around the single coral in my tank. They are still pretty young but have been growing quite quickly, with three feedings a day. Aggression has slowly been increasing but it is not terrible, at least not yet.
IMG_9148.JPG

OP
OP
SAWFISH

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea I like Chromis a very underrated family

1603741896490.png

1603741927437.png

1603742129792.png

1603742184424.png

And they make a good mixed group of fish
1603742418767.png

Don't try a group of these they just don't mix

1603742343692.png
What species are the first two pictures and the last pictures. Idk that I have ever seen any those species, but they look awesome. Also awesome looking tank, how many gallons is it?

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species are the first two pictures and the last pictures. Idk that I have ever seen any those species, but they look awesome. Also awesome looking tank, how many gallons is it?
The first picture is Chromis Vandervelt, second is C. retrofaciatus. the last is C.nitida- pretty but nasty with each other.

2500litres= 660 US gallons. That incarnation of the tank was taken down and rebuilt as a fish only.

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't try a group of these they just don't mix

1603742343692.png

I read somewhere that Chromis only really get into arguments with each other if there's nothing meaner around, but will school together if they feel threatened. Is that not true with the Nitida species, or do the Nitidas gang up on other Chromis?

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read somewhere that Chromis only really get into arguments with each other if there's nothing meaner around, but will school together if they feel threatened. Is that not true with the Nitida species, or do the Nitidas gang up on other Chromis?
I bought a group of 10 nitida, all about 1" to 1.5" and as you can from the photo, they lived happy and peacefully until they got to just over 2" (I assume, became adults). Then WW3 broke out in the tank! They just fought to the death- one on one, group on one, I didn't have one without shredded fins and chunks missing on the body. The last one standing also died of it's injuries.

They never bothered any other fish, they just wouldn't tolerate another Nitida in the tank.

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to hear more stories about in-group aggression (or non-aggression) when keeping them in groups. I'd like to get a group as my first fishes in a 240 gallon build I'm starting but I don't want to watch them tear each other apart. How large a group? Should I intentionally add a different species to keep them distracted? My other fish will be smaller ones (gobies/firefish/jawfish, cardinals), anthias and then later the tangs and possibly an angel.

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to hear more stories about in-group aggression (or non-aggression) when keeping them in groups. I'd like to get a group as my first fishes in a 240 gallon build I'm starting but I don't want to watch them tear each other apart. How large a group? Should I intentionally add a different species to keep them distracted? My other fish will be smaller ones (gobies/firefish/jawfish, cardinals), anthias and then later the tangs and possibly an angel.
Which species? Currently I think there are about 100 species recognised in the Chromis genus.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SAWFISH

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The group I had was originally 7 and 2 died in the first four weeks. I attribute the deaths to an amount of aggression. Since the two initial deaths I increased the flow in my tank significantly so that the chromis have to fight against the flow, that seemed to help aggression a little bit. Additionally I started feeding a decent amount of food 3 times a day. In my case the biggest issue was that the smallest chromis were getting out competed for the food. By feeding large amounts daily I ensure all the fish get some food and have the strength to handle aggression. I also think multiple feedings helped decrease aggression and is also a more realistic to the way chromis would feed in the wild

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@
Nice trio of fish. How long have you had them?
Thank you.
I started with 5. My maroon clown killed 2 of them. I have had these three since 2015. I have a few clutches of eggs laid during that time.

OP
OP
SAWFISH

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@
Thank you.
I started with 5. My maroon clown killed 2 of them. I have had these three since 2015. I have a few clutches of eggs laid during that time.
That is pretty cool, did you try and raise any of them? How often do they lay eggs? Are there only the two dominant chromis involved in the egg laying process or are they all involved?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is pretty cool, did you try and raise any of them? How often do they lay eggs? Are there only the two dominant chromis involved in the egg laying process or are they all involved?
Yes only the two dominant ones. Ive seen it a few times they lay the eggs on the side of the glass and they dont last long everything picks them off.

OP
OP
SAWFISH

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes only the two dominant ones. Ive seen it a few times they lay the eggs on the side of the glass and they dont last long everything picks them off.
That is interesting, do they not protect the eggs, like pairs of clownfish do?

OP
OP
SAWFISH

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite reef fish, Blue Chromis
IMG_4352.jpg
Awesome fish, I have always wanted to get some of the blue chromis. This is a great picture I really like the back drop with the red and green corals and the bright blue fish right in the center!

Thank you to everyone who has posted pics so far!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back