Sick Chevron Tang

4theloveofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water quality is great. But woke up to find him looking like this.

20170101_093747.jpg

20170101_092319.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help! What is this on my fish? It happened overnight.

Resized_20170101_092249.jpg
My first thought is that it might be Velvet or a bacterial infection, but then I saw the eyes. The eyes make me think Flukes.

How long have you had this fish and did you do anything to quarantine it before adding it to your display?

#mods
Can we get this moved to the fish disease section?

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a QT tank? I'd do a quick freshwater dip to provide some temp relief and then get him into a QT if you have one. I was just at one of the big box pet stores yesterday and they're having the $1/gallon tank sales. A quick call locally should be able to confirm which one for you and that would get you up an running on the cheap for a QT if you don't already have one #reefsquad should be able to direct you in the correct treatment.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish looks very sick! Looks like more than one thing now; parasitic and bacterial. QT asap. #reefsquad

Do you have QT, meds and test kits?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks a lot like brook. Odd for it to show up now, but it doesn't effect other fish the same as it might a clownfish. It could also be an infection - a severe one. Nothing new was added to the tank? Hermits, snails, coral, macro? Anything wet? Say within the last 3 or 4 months?

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks a lot like brook. Odd for it to show up now, but it doesn't effect other fish the same as it might a clownfish. It could also be an infection - a severe one. Nothing new was added to the tank? Hermits, snails, coral, macro? Anything wet? Say within the last 3 or 4 months?

I was thinking brook as well but didnt want to miss diagnose.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brooklynella (clownfish disease)

This is some more info on Brook. Take a look at the pictures and read about the symptoms. See if they match with what you are seeing in your tang. You can always do a formalin or freshwater dip. I prefer a freshwater dip followed by acryflavin... but you use what you have. At that point you can treat the QT with metroplex (put it in the water not the food). Watch him and see if he improves.

Edit to say: if it's brook and not just a bacterial infection, then all fish need to be treated in QT. The tank would need to be left fallow (fishless) for 6 weeks.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone my husband is on his way to our closest fish store to get meds, which is 4 hours away. Our Tang is now in the QT and hopefully he can hang in there for the meds to arrive.

Here is a list of medications he will need:
  • Seachem Metroplex
  • Seachem Kanaplex
  • Furan-2
Getting one of these would also be very helpful:
  • The following products contain formalin: Formalin-MS, Quick Cure, Aquarium Solutions Ich-X, Kordon Rid-Ich Plus.
  • The following products contain acriflavine: Acriflavine-MS and Ruby Reef Rally.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 119 75.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 13 8.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back