Sick fish bulging eye

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some help trying to figure out what this is and how it happened. Is there anything I can do for the fish? I just noticed the bulging eye today. I don't have a QT setup but separated the fish into a acclimation box.

Any thoughts?

PXL_20220210_023431777.jpg

PXL_20220210_023052474.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some help trying to figure out what this is and how it happened. Is there anything I can do for the fish? I just noticed the bulging eye today. I don't have a QT setup but separated the fish into a acclimation box.

Any thoughts?

PXL_20220210_023431777.jpg

PXL_20220210_023052474.jpg

If just the one eye is affected, this is most likely from a mechanical injury - the fish gets frightened, hits a tank wall or something and the eye swells up. Assuming no other issues, and the fish still eats o.k., this can get better in a few weeks. Sometimes, secondary bacterial infections start in, and then you should treat with erythromycin (Maracyn 1) in a treatment tank.

The just is still out as to if it is better to hold affected fish like this in a acclimation tank, or put them back into the main tank.

This fish may have multiple issues (I ca see some white marking on its sides) In order to delve into that deeper, I need some background information, as outlined in this link:

Here is an article on fish eye health that I wrote:

Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If just the one eye is affected, this is most likely from a mechanical injury - the fish gets frightened, hits a tank wall or something and the eye swells up. Assuming no other issues, and the fish still eats o.k., this can get better in a few weeks. Sometimes, secondary bacterial infections start in, and then you should treat with erythromycin (Maracyn 1) in a treatment tank.

The just is still out as to if it is better to hold affected fish like this in a acclimation tank, or put them back into the main tank.

This fish may have multiple issues (I ca see some white marking on its sides) In order to delve into that deeper, I need some background information, as outlined in this link:

Here is an article on fish eye health that I wrote:

Jay Hemdal
Thank you for the information. Unfortunately the fish didn't make it through the night. I do have a Flame Angel that has been super aggressive chasing other fish so it's quite possible it was a trauma and stress issue. Might need to find a new home for him soon.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back