Sick haddoni, maybe not bacterial

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I made the mistake of feeding my pufferfish and anemones human grade oysters. I did freeze them to eliminate parasites, but now I’m thinking another pathogen was introduced. My puffer had GI issues for days which thankfully he recovered from, but now one of the 3 anemones that are oyster is showing all the classic signs of an infection. After 48 hours of full strength color treatment I’m not seeing any change and I’m wondering if it might be viral infection, or if I should try another kind of antibiotic? I have access to a wide variety of medications if need be.

10600EEF-6DB9-4CD4-860E-D9ABC5460682.jpeg

(Photo as I post this, t5 only, halides not on yet this morning). The whole tank is getting 10mg/L cipro)

I’m open to suggestions @OrionN @Eagle_Steve

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case it was viral or protozoan I gave it the dip I give all new coral and Zooanthids, clove oil and iodine, for ten minutes, roughly following a published protocol from some research I’ve found in treating protozoan infections in goniopora. I constantly circulated the water with a turkey baster including gently flushing the mouth and upper body cavity. It attached to the bucket during the dip, so when putting it back in I have it a bowl to sit in and attach to. Here’s a photo about 15 minutes after the dip. Cipro is still being maintained at 10mg/L. Prayers are welcome.

58A608F0-91F0-48D5-B3D3-18F4401F494F.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OrionN You mentioned you chose cipro due to it being wide spectrum and easily available. I also have levofloxacin, would it potentially be better to use that instead? I also have a variety of other antibiotics if you think something may be more effective in this case. Thanks.

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, it’s attached to the glass. It seemed like it was open larger earlier but I wasn’t home. (This is halides off again). I added sand to the bowl, and just turned off the T5s early and dosed today’s cipro. Not sure if this is useful to know, but they have no money is expelling Brown pellets every few hours, sort of how they do when they’re infected.
29EAB391-92EF-4BCD-978D-8448782C0967.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night it deflated further and I gave it another iodine bath and gently flushed out its body cavity again for ten minutes. This morning right after T5s came on:

87884FAD-0870-44F0-BAF2-DD8995E4734D.jpeg

An answer to prayers! It’s looking a lot better.

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I am tentatively saying it’s fully cured, mouth is completely closed and it’s inflated and looking normal. An answer to prayers

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mouth still isn’t as tight as it should be and it hasn’t attached well but it’s doing much better overall. Today marks the 5th day of cipro treatment so we will see.

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haddonis are weird, they change size and shape all the time, and sometimes have loose mouths. It’s the mouth + entire body behavior I pay attention to, as well as what’s “normal” for a given individual over time. In this case, mouth is still a little loose and it’s not attached, so it’s still a little peeved.

Pillahump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that has been my experience as well. With my haddoni everything about it is perfect except sometimes the mouth does show shpingos from time to time. Usually seals closed after feeding

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still not all that happy. Today was the end of the 5 day cipro treatment. It only seems better after dips. If it’s the same tomorrow I’ll try dips again. It’s only a little bit attached, enough to stay out but not like it’s happy. I just piled sand and a rock around it to see of that helps.

t5s only
504C14AC-2435-4E57-8D04-6B660FDD1AC0.jpeg
A7CB4A38-0216-4BE0-9AFB-D19716E85A53.jpeg

Pillahump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would you be able to run the cipro for longer? If i remember right I have seen some people do it for seven days. not sure if that would even help based off what you're saying about the dips.
Hopefully it turns around! Its beautiful!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I did not see this until just now.
@MartinM
I would pull him out and treat him with antibiotic. If you have Levaquin I would use Levaquin at the same dose.
good luck with him.

From the experience of loosing several perfectly healthy anemones that got infected with sick anemone, I hope your other anemone will not catch this illness from the sick anemone.

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I did not see this until just now.
@MartinM
I would pull him out and treat him with antibiotic. If you have Levaquin I would use Levaquin at the same dose.
good luck with him.

From the experience of loosing several perfectly healthy anemones that got infected with sick anemone, I hope your other anemone will not catch this illness from the sick anemone.

Thanks, I do have Levofloxacin so thanks for the advice.

@Pillahump also solid advice. You’re right though, the only significant improvement I’ve seen is post iodine dips.

I may try more dips today and see how he looks.

bacc2bacc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
I would get that nem into a seperate tank for cipro treatments. Dipping it and putting it back in the same water isn’t gonna help

it should be isolated and treated for a week and then reintroduced back into the tank water.

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get that nem into a seperate tank for cipro treatments. Dipping it and putting it back in the same water isn’t gonna help

it should be isolated and treated for a week and then reintroduced back into the tank water.

It’s been at full dose of Ciprofloxacin for five days, no real improvement. I treated the whole tank, thinking it might jump to the other anemones. I’m not dipping it in Ciprofloxacin, using iodine and clove oil in case it’s viral/dinoflagellate infection of some kind. IME, I’ve never had just one anemone infected by something bacterial, it’s always spread, and always required every anemone to be treated with Ciprofloxacin. That’s not the case here, they’ve all been living together and suddenly the purple one went downhill inexplicably meanwhile five other anemones were/are fine. That’s when I started Ciprofloxacin, got no response, started dips, got a response, and then it just sort of has been in this halfway state since. :(. Right now it’s looking bad, I will try to separate it and use Ciprofloxacin and pray that will help.

Last edited:

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always believed things other than bacterial infections we can treat with cipro , etc were killing certain anemones I had..Some even went for yrs after cipro .. and were fine ..only to retreat behind a rock and slowly shrivel up over a yr or 2..no inflate/deflate , just slowly wither away... We need to learn more..Orion and others paved the way on ABX treatments ..now we need to know the full range of how to treat these other mysterious illness they often get ...

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • None.

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.7%
Back