OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s now in QT with 12.5mg/L Levofloxacin.

I also have Nitozide, Ivermectin, Niclosamide, Fluconazole, Amoxicillin, Azythromycin, and multiple other antibiotics, antivirals, and antifungals. Thoughts, @OrionN ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry, I meant to say ciliates not Dinos. There are various ciliate species that are known for infecting goniopora and have caused a lot of issues on reefs, and since I have a lot of goniopora, I figured it was worth a shot. Clove oil dips, KCl and peroxide (H2O2) are used in large scale operations (not sure about hobby-scale grow out companies you see advertised on the forum here).

However, I think @OrionN is correct and that it’s bacterial. The anemone was literally dying (disintegrating), skin splitting and insides coming out. I gave it increased water flow and prayer. I came home a few hours later and it was back in one piece and back together, praise God. I saw the posts here and started QT + Levofloxacin as opposed to DT + Cipro. There were Improvements within the hour! This morning it’s looking a lot better than yesterday. I’ll continue Orions protocol except with Lexofloxacin.

I also won’t be feeding frozen oysters, which is how I suspect the bacteria got introduced.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now almost 48 hours with Lexofloxacin. Better than Thursday afternoon but still the mouth is open. Still regularly expelling brown pellets. I will do the daily 100% water change and new dose of Lexofloxacin in a few hours.

6D086443-F0B7-4326-B80B-3E143CEBE523.jpeg

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it just seems to be stuck at this point. I’ve decided to add in addition to Lexofloxacin, Azithromycin at 7mg/L. Let’s see what happens.

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, still fighting. Stuck at the same stage. I added amoxicillin to the list and also started with low dose iodine in case it’s viral. Open to suggestions!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a quick read thru. Certainly sounds related to the oysters. Happy you got it to QT for treatment. So you’re presently treating with Lexofloxacin, Azithromycin, Amoxicillin and Iodine, is this correct?
How’s the water flow in QT?

Saw you tagged Steve but I’m tagging him again as, at his advanced age, he might have missed it! @Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a quick read thru. Certainly sounds related to the oysters. Happy you got it to QT for treatment. So you’re presently treating with Lexofloxacin, Azithromycin, Amoxicillin and Iodine, is this correct?
How’s the water flow in QT?

Saw you tagged Steve but I’m tagging him again as, at his advanced age, he might have missed it! @Eagle_Steve
Ha!!! I did miss it.

I stay stay the course and keep doing what you are doing. I have had a few that required the full run, including ciipro.

Glad to hear that it is spitting out pellets. Some of that may be zoo, but always good to see them expelling waste.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha!!! I did miss it.

I stay stay the course and keep doing what you are doing. I have had a few that required the full run, including ciipro.

Glad to hear that it is spitting out pellets. Some of that may be zoo, but always good to see them expelling waste.
@MartinM - Steve and I are in agreement. Being that you’re in Japan you may already be in bed for the night. Nevertheless, sending good vibes!

Thanks for jumping in, Steve. I know I give you a hard time, ahem, once in a blue moon, but I do respect your reefing experience and input. It’s all the rest that is questionable! ;)

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MartinM - Steve and I are in agreement. Being that you’re in Japan you may already be in bed for the night. Nevertheless, sending good vibes!

Thanks for jumping in, Steve. I know I give you a hard time, ahem, once in a blue moon, but I do respect your reefing experience and input. It’s all the rest that is questionable! ;)
My buddy @OrionN was already here, so he was in good hands.

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it’s had 5 days of Ciprofloxacin, and now 5 days of Lexofloxacin, and the last 3 days has been Lexofloxacin + Azythromycin + Amoxocillin + low dose iodine + some AB+ for aminos/vitamins. Today the pooping has stopped. Not sure if that’s good or bad. It wont’ attach, I’m keeping it in place with a net on top of it while it sits in a bowl. Daily 100% WCs. I’ll do it as long as it takes!

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now it’s been like this for about 24 hours. Not dead but not at all good. Still reacts to light. I’m guessing it’s not bacterial after all these antibiotics and all this time.

should I try some antivirals or a prolonged dose of iodine? Any suggestions in dosage if so?

AB5B961E-9809-481C-963A-B36055771F64.jpeg

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s some evidence that Doxycycline is effective against some ciliates and viruses, so I’m going to try that after the WC in the morning

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It finally succumbed :(. I doubt it was bacterial. Next time if 7 days of antibiotics doesn’t do the trick I’ll do doxycycline.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It finally succumbed :(. I doubt it was bacterial. Next time if 7 days of antibiotics doesn’t do the trick I’ll do doxycycline.
Sorry to hear that, Martin. Based on how everything went, however, it is not surprising. It sure would be nice to know what exactly happened to it but, as is often the case in reefing, we can only speculate and make educated guesses.

I hope your other Haddoni(s) remain healthy and continue thriving!

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that, Martin. Based on how everything went, however, it is not surprising. It sure would be nice to know what exactly happened to it but, as is often the case in reefing, we can only speculate and make educated guesses.

I hope your other Haddoni(s) remain healthy and continue thriving!

Thanks, I agree with all of the above. The other five are healthy and happy, and I’ll be avoiding feeding oysters in the future.

@Pillahump I’ll venture a guess that it was a viral infection with secondary bacterial infection. After the fact I learned that oysters are harborers of a variety of disease and a viral infection which could have survived the freezing process.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back