Sick or skinny Foxface?

naselflee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.
I’m new to Saltwater fish tanks.
I recently got a new foxface 4 days ago and he’s been quite timid. He’s now come out and eating.
I’ve noticed that he’s quite thin and looks like his skin is loose or something?
I’ve attached some photos.

E2573597-C28B-4BCD-8175-0F73EB9B6C5A.png 44FFC2F7-5241-430F-99AA-E2D0CFAF8B40.jpeg 85809817-58E0-4561-92CF-1E34D5D48F5E.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef... :)
i would say the good thing is he is eating,they eat a lot of algae,feed small portions few times a day ,nori,seaweed,macro algae,start fattening him up,i am not seeing skin peeling??,i see no spots on him.
come back here with closer pics ,if no improvement, we can call in expert help.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed him mysis shrimp until he gains some weight try and give him small amounts 3-4 times a day. Found at your local fish store as a package of frozen cubes.
If there is no algae in your tank you should add nori which comes in thin sheets. It is the stuff used to make sushi and can be found at your market. Take a 1/4th of a sheet and rubberband it to a rock at first.
If your fish is tiny cut a 2.5cm strip with some scissors across an edge of the sheet and give it half.
5btqay-M.jpg

Welcome to Reef 2 Reef

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.
I’m new to Saltwater fish tanks.
I recently got a new foxface 4 days ago and he’s been quite timid. He’s now come out and eating.
I’ve noticed that he’s quite thin and looks like his skin is loose or something?
I’ve attached some photos.

E2573597-C28B-4BCD-8175-0F73EB9B6C5A.png 44FFC2F7-5241-430F-99AA-E2D0CFAF8B40.jpeg 85809817-58E0-4561-92CF-1E34D5D48F5E.jpeg
Was the fish that skinny when you bought it? If not, then something else is going on, fish don't get that think in four days from lack of food. What is commonly seen is that fish being kept in some dealer's tanks are held at low salinity - say 1.020 or even lower. Then, they get acclimated to standard salinity in the home aquarium, 1.025 or so. Their kidneys can't keep up and fluids rush out of their tissue as they dehydrate and suddenly, they look really skinny. This sometimes kills them outright, in other cases, they recover in a few days.

Jay

OP
OP
naselflee

naselflee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would say the good thing is he is eating,they eat a lot of algae,feed small portions few times a day ,nori,seaweed,macro algae,start fattening him up,i am not seeing skin peeling??,i see no spots on him.
I’ll have to get some photos when I get back home from work.
To me, it’s like his skin is wrinkly or something?
He ate threes times yesterday. Mysis in the morning and flake food for lunch and dinner. He ate all the new algae growing from my rock

OP
OP
naselflee

naselflee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed him mysis shrimp until he gains some weight try and give him small amounts 3-4 times a day. Found at your local fish store as a package of frozen cubes.
If there is no algae in your tank you should add nori which comes in thin sheets. It is the stuff used to make sushi and can be found at your market. Take a 1/4th of a sheet and rubberband it to a rock at first.
If your fish is tiny cut a 2.5cm strip with some scissors across an edge of the sheet and give it half.
5btqay-M.jpg

Welcome to Reef 2 Reef
Thanks for that!
He ate mysis in the morning and had flake for lunch and dinner.
He also ate all the new growth that I had growing on my rock
I’ll try the nori sheets

OP
OP
naselflee

naselflee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the fish that skinny when you bought it? If not, then something else is going on, fish don't get that think in four days from lack of food. What is commonly seen is that fish being kept in some dealer's tanks are held at low salinity - say 1.020 or even lower. Then, they get acclimated to standard salinity in the home aquarium, 1.025 or so. Their kidneys can't keep up and fluids rush out of their tissue as they dehydrate and suddenly, they look really skinny. This sometimes kills them outright, in other cases, they recover in a few days.

Jay
He was on the thinner side when I brought him.
That’s exactly what I thought he looked like. Someone being dehydrated and their skin is loose and wrinkly.
When I brought him home, he wouldn’t come out of his hiding spot for 2 days when people were around, but when I was at work, I had my camera facing the tank and could see he was swimming around.
He had a large appetite yesterday and ate 3 times.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back