Sick Radiata Lionfish

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a radiata arrive with a crack and unsheathed 4 dorsal spine with a infection that seems to be coming onto the body and affected the nearby spines.

I'm rolling with some Furan-2 for now and am waiting for the hospital tank to cool. Too bad I can't put Wound Control on it. I swear by the stuff.

Anyway, here's the hot mess.

IMG_4673.jpg

IMG_4676.jpg

IMG_4680.jpg

IMG_4681.jpg

IMG_4683.jpg

IMG_4684.jpg

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awwwww, poor lil' guy! :(
Hope he gets better soon!
He really pretty though!;)

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He'll be a beautiful fish if he pulls through and I can get some vitamins in him. He has a beautiful pink coloring all over that you can't really see in the picture. Probably hurts like a son of gun :-/

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would pick up some kanamycin aka Kanaplex in the next day or two. Combine that with Furan-2. Kanamycin is more readily absorbable by a fish's skin than nitrofurazone.

P. S. What is "Wound Control"? Is that the same stuff as Bio-bandage?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor baby! Hope he pulls through for you! Keep us updated.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's right! They went out of business. Remember good ole Aquatronics? They made Wound Control. When they were going out, I bought every bottle within a states drive. LOL! It doesn't expire, because it's mercurochrome. I feel like a child again when I see the color.

We used it on seahorses all the time. I have yet to use it on a lionfish for very obvious reasons. LOL!

Last edited:

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He'll be a beautiful fish if he pulls through and I can get some vitamins in him. He has a beautiful pink coloring all over that you can't really see in the picture. Probably hurts like a son of gun :-/

What's the plan for getting some vitamins into him? Is it eating? If not, Radiatas are "shrimpers" and you might try the following - put a few drops of vitamins (I use liquid baby vitamins) on a freeze dried krill and drag the krill across the bottom of the tank. I use a 1/4" piece of acrylic rod with some fishing line attached on the end. Poke the fishing line into the krill and drag away.

Hope this helps...

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there. I was updating a different thread on this guy, but I should do it here. Later I'll take some pictures, but the infection does not appear worse today.

I got him on frozen foods yesterday, that is HUGE as far as his potential outcome. I use a bunch of different enrichments and use a dehydrator for the shrimp.

vitamins-jpg.333838

diet-jpg.334553

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Renee, I look at this damaged fish this way.....It's a Godsent that this injured fish went to you. I know if I would have gotten it, or 99% of all other aquarists, it would be as good as dead. You are knowledgeable in the care and obviously have all the right goodies to put this guy back into the game. Who else has a dehydrator and vitamin loaded mysis? I have no doubt that this little guy will make a full recovery. You got that fish for a very good reason, not because you picked it, because it picked YOU!

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I did the one round of Furan and then put him back in the QT and am dosing the tank with vitamin C (to support collagen formation in addition to the immunity boost). I'm pouring everything I can into his diet and was really lucky to get him trained in time.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops, I probably should have wiped down the glass, because there's like a film on condensation on there. He's in a hot garage.

He's probably going to be a little "herp derp" as his 5th spine stays back. I turned off the bubbles for the video. Bubbles are beautiful for wound debridement. I love oxygen.

Last edited:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 107 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 83 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 40 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back