Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's amazing!, im convinced you're the lion fish whisperer

Aww. That's nice to say. Thanks.

Will a new sheath grow back over the spine?

Yes, that little clump of flesh is starting to work it's way up. I expect the spine to grow some as well. I don't know about the movement of the 5th spine. I'm not sure if the new scar tissue will allow it to come forward or not in the future.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubbles? What bubbles? I don't see any bubbles.

bubbles.jpg

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now, I haven't had this happen before. Even though the tissue was starting to grow back, I guess the spine itself was dead and it "came off". It won't grow back. Sorry for the blurriness, but it's the corner of the tank. I really curious what will happen to the one behind it, because it is no longer connected by the skeletal structure, but the skin is healed. It just sort of flops about.

nospine.jpg

This is where the spine should be. I guess that extra dollop of tissue will remain now the it has not spine to "climb" up.

nospine2.jpg

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm calling this QT the "BEAST MAKER". He eats A LOT, is very assertive and doesn't know when to call it quits.

I think he's going to absorb the blob of skin, because it is smaller than yesterday. Still curious what will happen to the spine behind it. I'm not sure how much blood supply the skin can provide and if it's enough to keep the bone alive or not.

Today's picture show something that happens frequently to newly acquired radiatas. They look like they have HLLE. It goes away as they settle in to captive life.

hlle-ish.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta know, what camera are you using?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what's this near his face/eye? Almost looks like flukes. Or is that the HLLE you're talking about (the blue arrow confused me)?

hlle-ish-jpg.381143

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what's this near his face/eye? Almost looks like flukes. Or is that the HLLE you're talking about (the blue arrow confused me)?

Oh sorry, that picture where you were questioning the blue arrow. That was for a different discussion and I didn't realize it was there. The arrow is just pointing to the spine that is broken within and flopping about.

The pics are just to show the progression of the healing process.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't the "HLLE-ish" thing weird? It's not only radiatas that get it, but they seem to always have it. They come with it and it resolves as they settle in.

Being predators, their lateralis system is fine-tuned, I'm sure, but I'm so curious what causes the pits and sometimes the canals themselves to become so visible at the beginning.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my old radiata when I first got them. Not as bad as the current one, but the current one was also sick. Stress related maybe?
hlle2.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 104 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 82 33.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back