Sikryd

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the latest addition.
The wife wanted to pick it up for when the power goes out. We also have a Vortec battery backup.
This will be nice to have though to be able to run the tank, fridge, sump pump, house lights and a few other things if need be for a few days.
I am adding pig tails and a backfeed switch (so it won't go to the breakers) to a couple circuits so I can plug right into them with an extension cord from the generator.

030378_md.jpg

OP
OP
Sikryd

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is our new light I picked up on the 4th. Guy had it for a good deal, and I like having 4 lights instead of 3.

I re-wired the ballast again like the other one. It had this dual ballast and two of the new cubes that Aquamedic came out with. It was pretty easy to do myself with Bobs help over the phone this time when he told me about cutting the nuetral side with the switch.

Now Bob just needs to pick that par meter up so we can test it out
wink.gif

I put the lights back up to 14" until I can find out what kind of par it is putting out. I'll probably lower it to 13" tomorrow though.

Ballast2.jpg

It also came with the light deflectors which is nice, since we had been wanting to order some since it is in the living room. It cuts down on a lot of overflow light now.

NewLight.jpg

FTS -

FTSwithnewlight.jpg

OP
OP
Sikryd

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PBPB.jpg

Chalicecopy.jpg

Tenius.jpg

Last edited:

tater11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the same light over our tank what type bulbs are you using?

I-K@ndY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chad- Dang u have been investing a lot on your reef.. thats good :D... I also have a genarator as well and I am telling it will come handy when time comes..

you are getting good at snapping pics too .. Im scared now :D

OP
OP
Sikryd

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the same light over our tank what type bulbs are you using?

14k Phoenix's - the tank is no where near that color. Its cause I am shooting in to the halides. It is a bright white with a little blue tint in person. (To the eye at least)

Chad- Dang u have been investing a lot on your reef.. thats good ... I also have a genarator as well and I am telling it will come handy when time comes..

you are getting good at snapping pics too .. Im scared now :D

Yeah I figured if I was spending big money inside the tank, I better have a back up plan if something goes wrong. Plus with the baby coming, I want it to be virtually maintanance free and easy to take care of. I talked the wife into buying the generator, and the new light (I'll get most of my money back on the light since I'll sell my 3 bulb Aquamedic) I told her if the power goes out, her little beloved fisheeess would die :D

I just threw the camera in real quick last night and got those. Point n shoot :)
I'm learning a little though too. I realize it is better to get an infocus picture, regardless of the lighting or color. I also leave the pumps on - and all the halides and everyone on. I'm sure I could take better more saturated and infocus pictures with them off, but I don't feel like messing with that...yet

The wife said she'll get me a DSLR for the baby once I finish my office and baby room - so that should be done tomorrow! lol - not really, but soon though.

I am going to hard plumb my RODI through the floor and up to my top-off today. That way all I have to do is turn the main valve on to fill the top-off tank (it has a float valve too with autoshutoff), or leave it on and it will keep it topped off all the time. I am putting in a Y connector too so I can "plug" it into a float valve in my 30g trashcan that is on wheels to fill it up for water changes, then put it away when I'm done. Then just roll the 1/4 hose up and put it back under the tank.
Ease of operation is what I am looking for!!! A little work now saves a TON in the long run.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sikryd

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plumbed in my RODI through the basement and up to the tank/top-off through the wall today.
I attached the hose through the studs and stuff with plastic tabs than you route Rca cable with.

Here are some pictures -

Before - I had the 30g rubbermaid with the float valve on the dryer to the right.

BeginRodi.jpg

After -

FinishedRODI.jpg

RODIwall.jpg

RodiTopoff.jpg

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not hooked directly into your sump is it? I hope not. Thats a disaster waiting to happen.

BTW. Nice light. Tank looks very good.

OP
OP
Sikryd

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not hooked directly into your sump is it? I hope not. Thats a disaster waiting to happen.

BTW. Nice light. Tank looks very good.
Nope - It is hooked up to my top-off container, then my JBJ auto-topoff tops off the sump. I don't have to do anything now :xd:

Thanks - it is coming along. Now all I am waiting on is Neptune to ship my APEX out. Then I can get rid of the timers again and organize the wires and all that.
I also am getting another dosing container made once I get the dimensions.

Then all I have to do is clean the skimmer, change the carbon once a month, and watch things grow :nerd:

Last edited:

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome bro! I contacted your friend. Can't wait to get my top-down box!!!!!

OP
OP
Sikryd

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome bro! I contacted your friend. Can't wait to get my top-down box!!!!!

Yeah I am pretty stoked now that I have everything almost finished up!

Jeff does some great work. Did you ask him to buy some black plexi or are you going to paint the sides?
Maybe you can stop by on the way and we can ride over and pick up both the box and new dosing container. I live about 10min from him and you have to go by my house to get to his. Then you can check out the tank :nerd: and give me some pointers ;)

OP
OP
Sikryd

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice tank and love all the pictures of progess. =)

Thanks Richard.

I remember reading some tanks threads when I first started setting my tanks up last year, and it was nice to see what people did to get some ideas for my setup.

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff Chad. On your RODI, you need to mount the extra DI chamber vertically instead of leaving it horizontally. You will get more contact as the media will not settle to the bottom when laying flat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sikryd

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff Chad. On your RODI, you need to mount the extra DI chamber vertically instead of leaving it horizontally. You will get more contact as the media will not settle to the bottom when laying flat.

Thanks Mark - I didn't know that. It obviously makes sense though.
I am still getting 1 TDS (170 going in) right now and it has been going for about 6 months on that media - so I'm sure it is getting close and that will make a difference.

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mark - I didn't know that. It obviously makes sense though.
I am still getting 1 TDS (170 going in) right now and it has been going for about 6 months on that media - so I'm sure it is getting close and that will make a difference.

No problem Chad, I had to be told once before as well ;)

OP
OP
Sikryd

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I found out the GFCI works properly today! Thats a good thing I guess - I spilt a little water on a plug and it blew the one side on the GFCI - so that is good to know that if my lights trip the GFCI, it won't take out the GFCI that the pumps are on...

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a quick question. In the first couple of pics before full setup you have eggcrate sitting on the bottom of the tank. Did you leave it in there when you put the sand in? And if yes why?

OP
OP
Sikryd

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a quick question. In the first couple of pics before full setup you have eggcrate sitting on the bottom of the tank. Did you leave it in there when you put the sand in? And if yes why?

Yep - so the rock had a secure base to rest on. And so if I decide to get a sand digger later - he won't collapse my reef.
I was sort of testing it out to see if I like it and see if it works as I intended it to.
It has worked great - and I will do it again.

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 62 48.1%
  • Full frame

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 47 36.4%
  • All of the above

Votes: 22 17.1%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back