Sikryd's Mixed Reef

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an awesome idea! When I setup a new tank I will have to do this. Now did you still push the rock down so it touches the eggcrate? I like it because if a rock would fall the eggcrate should absorb the weight if the sand doesn't this way the glass does not break.

OP
OP
Sikryd

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an urchin that has been chillin' in my sump for who knows how long. I only found him about a month ago and haven't see it again till tonight. It was probably a hitchhiker on some rock and was super tiny and I just never noticed it. I don't know the species or if it is reef safe or not yet, so any info would be cool. Either way it'll be a sump buddy though.

Urchin.jpg

gnoles

Equipment Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff Chad. On your RODI, you need to mount the extra DI chamber vertically instead of leaving it horizontally. You will get more contact as the media will not settle to the bottom when laying flat.

I needed to hear that about six months ago! When I finally gave up on the ro/di unit and replaced it I found a nice little channel that was completely useless to reducing TDS. One day I'll learn to post pictures.

OP
OP
Sikryd

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got the new APEX controller in the mail yesterday. It is pretty sweet. I LOVE the control module. It has a nice big screen, and is only ~3/8" thick - finally a nice flush mountable display for outside the stand.
I also thought they forgot to send the power cord. Then I figured out it was USB powered from the Powerbar which is a nice touch - one less plug.
I'll post some pictures and stuff when I get a chance.
Off to another 5 hour tattoo sitting on my back piece.

OP
OP
Sikryd

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple of our new buddies we added to the tank from QT the other day. We picked up 4. It looks like 1 big male, 1 big female, 1 smaller female (3.5"), and a Juvi 3". It might be 2 males, I'm not 100% sure yet. I haven't had too much free time lately!
They are definetely the coolest fish! We love watching them swim around, kind of hovering, then the male will flash every once in a while. They are definetely fun to watch and have cool personalities. They all come right up to me when it is feeding time.

Flamebucket.jpg

Here is the new APEX controller getting hooked up.
The display is sweet, but hard to get a picture of.

Ape.jpg

OP
OP
Sikryd

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a bad picture of a couple of the new gang - they swim right up to my hands, so it is HARD to get a picture of them since they are quick too.
They are cruisers though, definetely one of our coolest fish in the tank. The wife and I LOVE sitting on the couch and watching them cruise around. Its fun when they sort of hover there with their rear tail pointed down.

I didn't have the camera on the aquarium setting - so the WB is all off -

Flamewrasses.jpg

Sunbursts.jpg

I-K@ndY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow very nice addition and love the zoa pic

El Camaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice fish man, love the zoas too. I got some very similar that grow like weeds.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice addition... HI Flames are the coolest... just wait when they become a true harem... it's so much fun to watch them interact with each other... my pair does the dance every night... :)

rocko918

I wanna be a rock star
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice addition... HI Flames are the coolest... just wait when they become a true harem... it's so much fun to watch them interact with each other... my pair does the dance every night... :)

yes, they are awesome. Nice pickup.

Mine use to chill together but the female jumped. Now i have a single male looking for love.

OP
OP
Sikryd

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Say goodbye to Mr. Foxface - I just caught him munchin' on my acans....buh..bye!
I have him up for sale on my local forums now - I like him a lot too. He was wayyy cool.

Foxface1.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My buddy's foxface got a taste for zoas and wiped out a lot of his in one day!

OP
OP
Sikryd

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome set-up. great pics.

Thanks.

It only took me ~3 min. to catch him thankfully. I knocked one frag off the glass - a fragmag.
I saw him munchin' on them when I was eating dinner, and called the wife (she is on a business trip) - she wasn't thrilled at ALL to hear that. She thinks I'm making it up since I have wanted to get rid of him for a while for a few other reasons.
After dinner I got the net and went to work.

My favorite rainbow acan has been all pulled in for the last couple months. I figured it was related to my alkalinity. I guess not!

I'm glad I'm good at catching fish.
Thankfully, otherwise it could have been disasterous.

cay85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, you just answerd my question about foxfaces. great reefer and psychic!very nice tank and corals and fish and pics.

OP
OP
Sikryd

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, you just answerd my question about foxfaces. great reefer and psychic!very nice tank and corals and fish and pics.

Lol - thanks!

Well it looks like the Foxface's sidekick was feeling spunky and munchin' on my acans -

HE HAS A GUILTY CONSCIENCE! He knows he's next!
He's going to take a little more to catch, so I'm going to wait till I do my re-aquascaping in the next couple days to catch him.

He's already on the run!

IMG_2917.jpg

OP
OP
Sikryd

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broke down and spent some of my MACNA money on some new fishies!!!

Divers den had a changing phase Pink Margin - it is turning white, a Cebu Blue Flasher, and a linear blenny to top it off.
So I am really stoked to pick these up. Hopefully the wife will kick in some money so I still have a couple bucks to bring to MACNA!

I'll post pictures when I have them in QT. I forgot to save the pictures before I bought them, they take them down once they are payed for.

Here are some stock pictures of similiar ones -

The one I picked up is changing to this, it has a lot of white but still some pink -
It should look like this sometime down the road.

Changing-phase Pink Margin
pink03401.jpg

Blue Flasher Wrasse - the one I picked up has better color and distinct lines

p-39687-Blue-Flashe-Wrasse.jpg

Linear Blenny - the picture of the one I picked up has distinct lines

p-26169-linear-blenny.jpg

Last edited:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 115 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back