Simple quarantine poll

If you can’t quarantine inverts and corals, is quarantine worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 27 65.9%
  • No

Votes: 14 34.1%

• Total voters

Patrick.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I understand the pros and cons of quarantine pretty thoroughly. I’m not trying to start another debate, I just feel like this is a question a lot of people must have. With my new build I would likely have the resources to start a qt but also feeling less able to set up separate one for inverts. Does this devalue the whole process? I feel like the best option might be going all the way with ich management in that case.

OP
OP
Patrick.S

Patrick.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a 10% chance of cancer better than a 30% chance?
Not sure this is an apples to apples comparison. There are risks to the fish with copper treatment. Would you undergo chemotherapy if there was a chance you might have cancer?

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For coral/invert QT I usually just use a 5g bucket with a sponge filter, power head and a light. No n Ed to be anything fancy unless you are QTing a lot of things at once.

OP
OP
Patrick.S

Patrick.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cor
For coral/invert QT I usually just use a 5g bucket with a sponge filter, power head and a light. No n Ed to be anything fancy unless you are QTing a lot of things at once.
Corals can survive for 72 days without light? Not being snarky, truly curious.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t qt anything. In fact, I just bought a regal angel from my lfs and as usual, floated to temp and dumped it in.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need a separate QT for inverts, you can use the same tank just at different times.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure this is an apples to apples comparison. There are risks to the fish with copper treatment. Would you undergo chemotherapy if there was a chance you might have cancer?

Sure its probably not the best possible metaphor but the point being made is you can never speak in absolutes, even the best QT methods are not guaranteed (neither the fish coming out the other end or preventing introducing pathogens to the day)

The point of the whole exercise (QT) is to reduce your risk profile to the point where one feels it’s an acceptable trade off between the likelihood of livestock loss vs. pathogens being introduced to the live stock vs likelihood they have been eliminated/where never present.

OP
OP
Patrick.S

Patrick.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Respectfully trying to prevent this from turning into a yes or no quarantine discussion because I think it’s been covered thoroughly.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted no on the question that was asked, but I do fully support a introduction/isolation tank until the fish eating prepared foods and are not skittish anymore. This seems to help them get bold and be able to hold their own with their tankmates. Beyond this, they go into the tanks.

I will not do a full QT of corals or inverts for fish diseases for 70-80 days, but I do QT them for coral pests. Therefore, I have no illusions that my tank will never get pathogens. However, my tank is teeming with bio diversity and ich tomonts and other things will need to fight for their own lives against the microfauna in the substrate and other places. I find it somewhat ironic that people who start new tanks with bare bottom, dead/dry rock, etc. to keep out "pests" have created the perfect breeding ground for fish parasites.

OP
OP
Patrick.S

Patrick.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted no on the question that was asked, but I do fully support a introduction/isolation tank until the fish eating prepared foods and are not skittish anymore. This seems to help them get bold and be able to hold their own with their tankmates. Beyond this, they go into the tanks.

I will not do a full QT of corals or inverts for fish diseases for 70-80 days, but I do QT them for coral pests. Therefore, I have no illusions that my tank will never get pathogens. However, my tank is teeming with bio diversity and ich tomonts and other things will need to fight for their own lives against the microfauna in the substrate and other places. I find it somewhat ironic that people who start new tanks with bare bottom, dead/dry rock, etc. to keep out "pests" have created the perfect breeding ground for fish parasites.
Thanks. This is kinda where I’m ending up.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordering a good amount of real live rock from Fiji or The Gulf will help a bunch. It is all man made and is not cheap, but weigh that against some fish losses and it does get very cheap later on.

When people say that fish do better in mature tanks, these mature tanks have ecosystems teeming with biodiversity and life beyond bacteria in a bottle that will crush anything that it can.

While this is not eradication, it does a pretty good job if you can get the fish non-skittish and eating and able to fend for themselves.

I would not purposefully drop an ich-infested fish into my display tank with the others, but I think that if I did, everything would be Ok and not spread to a place where it was a problem. This is not smart, however, and why I have an isolation tank for exactly this stuff.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
21+ years and never QT, however I do recommend it.
I focus on my accilimation and selection process in lieu of QT and have been "LUCKY" over the many years.

Malevolent

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what the original question really is that’s not already part of debates. Doesn’t matter if you use a QT or not. Do I recommend it? Yes. No matter what your feelings are on the QT debate is, you should have the bare minimum required to set one up. I don’t care if it’s a 5 gallon bucket with a small heater and you robbed someone’s fresh water tank for their pump/air stone. Having those in standby is a win win in my book.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fully QT all my fish. Have never done it for corals inverts. It’s a gigantic pain and I have lost some fish, but the ones that make it do very, very well. I get about 70% through. I have done copper and ttm method. When I think about it, the ones that don’t make it are usually impulse purchases. I did just buy a pair of Bellus angels from tsm aquatics and dumped them
In, but they assure me their qt protocol is the same as mine. I guess I’ll find out if that is true

jreece11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need a separate QT for inverts, you can use the same tank just at different times.
I have previously read you can’t repurpose a QT/med tank you’ve been running copper in to QT inverts.

I buy a lot of Acros and the 32G Biocube LED’s won’t support them for a 45 day QT anyway.

I’m in the same boat as the poster with a dedicated QT for fish but rolling the dice on snails and just dipping corals. Had to compromise with the wife on number of tanks.

Looking forward to seeing others decisions on this.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have previously read you can’t repurpose a QT/med tank you’ve been running copper in to QT inverts.

I buy a lot of Acros and the 32G Biocube LED’s won’t support them for a 45 day QT anyway.

I’m in the same boat as the poster with a dedicated QT for fish but rolling the dice on snails and just dipping corals. Had to compromise with the wife on number of tanks.

Looking forward to seeing others decisions on this.
The OP said quarantine tank, which I differentiate from treatment tank. I agree, probably wouldn’t use a copper tank for inverts, but I’ve never been a copper user. If it were just for quarantine, once it’s empty of fish for a few days, can introduce inverts and begin invert QT.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back