Single Acro STN - JF Fox Flame

prcardinal91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a JF fox flame that starting to look bad out of no where about a week ago. Washed out looking and just not that deep red. Yesterday I noticed some STN going on.

I know this can be a number of things and can be extremely difficult to identify a single or multitude of causes. Just curious if anyone running SPS dominant systems has had single acros that seemingly start to die for "no reason". I'm thinking its probably a bacterial infection of some sort. Everything else looks good.

My calcium was a little low (367) and since has been brought up (415), but I do not think that would really have that drastic of an effect on the coral. This was about a month ago.
Par on the Fox Flame roughly 300

I did start Reef Moonshiners about 2 months ago and have seen overall positive results. ICP testing done every 4 weeks. I attached my most recent test. 20220505_204458.jpg 20220505_204517.jpg

Attachments

• Analysis result.pdf
    55 KB · Views: 30

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a JF fox flame that starting to look bad out of no where about a week ago. Washed out looking and just not that deep red. Yesterday I noticed some STN going on.

I know this can be a number of things and can be extremely difficult to identify a single or multitude of causes. Just curious if anyone running SPS dominant systems has had single acros that seemingly start to die for "no reason". I'm thinking its probably a bacterial infection of some sort. Everything else looks good.

My calcium was a little low (367) and since has been brought up (415), but I do not think that would really have that drastic of an effect on the coral. This was about a month ago.

I did start Reef Moonshiners about 2 months ago and have seen overall positive results. ICP testing done every 4 weeks. I attached my most recent test. 20220505_204458.jpg 20220505_204517.jpg
You may get a response on the RM FB Group page.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes I think we all have had such issues the longer your in the hobby.
Bacterial is always what I think when it happens.
What lights do you run?
It also looks like its may not be getting enough light and may be fading from it.

OP
OP
P

prcardinal91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have 3 coral care gen 2s over the tank which is 5 ft long 150. I run them at 85 percent. I mapped the par and at the top of the rocks its about 550 par at peak. Where the Fox Flame is at 300 ish. Sould be plenty of light

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 coral care gen 2s over the tank which is 5 ft long 150. I run them at 85 percent. I mapped the par and at the top of the rocks its about 550 par at peak. Where the Fox Flame is at 300 ish. Sould be plenty of light
Yes 300 par should be good.
Mine was under 500ish in my 120. But it was halide lit and directly under a 250 14k.
Its now in my frag system under 16hds and is slowly starting to show the color at the tips.

Looks to be pretty well encrusted so you cant move it.
Also saw your iodine is low.
I do not have any experience with moonshine system but do dose trace elements that has iodine.

If you havent already I would get it back in range and see if it helps.
I like mine to be at the higher end of the range per my last icp test.

One other thing I like to use is KZ flatwormstop. I dont have them but it dose help with keeping corals healthy from my experience.
I

OP
OP
P

prcardinal91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes 300 par should be good.
Mine was under 500ish in my 120. But it was halide lit and directly under a 250 14k.
Its now in my frag system under 16hds and is slowly starting to show the color at the tips.

Looks to be pretty well encrusted so you cant move it.
Also saw your iodine is low.
I do not have any experience with moonshine system but do dose trace elements that has iodine.

If you havent already I would get it back in range and see if it helps.
I like mine to be at the higher end of the range per my last icp test.

One other thing I like to use is KZ flatwormstop. I dont have them but it dose help with keeping corals healthy from my experience.
I
Thanks for the feedback. I do dose iodide from brightwell and have been slowly bumping it up. I've heard from a few reef moonshiners to do this slowly. I've also heard other refers talk about the kz flatworm stop. What benefits does it have?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. I do dose iodide from brightwell and have been slowly bumping it up. I've heard from a few reef moonshiners to do this slowly. I've also heard other refers talk about the kz flatworm stop. What benefits does it have?
Quote from their site:
"Rapid regeneration of harmed corals as well as increased basal encrustation".
I only dosed 5ml a day in my 120.
Now 3ml a day in my 80 that replaced the 120.
1ml a day in my nano and 3ml a day in my 45 frag system.
My 120 before I broke it down.
20211127_153023.jpg

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. I do dose iodide from brightwell and have been slowly bumping it up. I've heard from a few reef moonshiners to do this slowly. I've also heard other refers talk about the kz flatworm stop. What benefits does it have
I'm currently dosing 5 drops in a 175

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure there is a problem? That piece looks fine to me. Mine is about that color and grows like a weed. I think if you want the deeper red color, it needs to be in lower light.
KIMG1129.JPG

OP
OP
P

prcardinal91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You sure there is a problem? That piece looks fine to me. Mine is about that color and grows like a weed. I think if you want the deeper red color, it needs to be in lower light.
KIMG1129.JPG
I'm not as worried about the color, but if you look closely on the left you will see some tissue loss. There are a few.spots like this

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I see what you are talking about. Take a good look at everything else in the tank. If it's just that one piece, I wouldn't get in a hurry and start changing things in the tank. Focus on what things are specific to that piece. I see that it has encrusted off of the plug, so it was happy there that one point. The color still looks good, so that is encouraging. Every time mine has been stressed, it lost the yellow tips and turned purplish. Could it be damage from a fish or invert? Have you made any changes to lighting or flow that could affect that area of the tank?
Also, keep in mind that it is an acro. Even the pros have a piece go south sometimes for no apparent reason.

OP
OP
P

prcardinal91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think I see what you are talking about. Take a good look at everything else in the tank. If it's just that one piece, I wouldn't get in a hurry and start changing things in the tank. Focus on what things are specific to that piece. I see that it has encrusted off of the plug, so it was happy there that one point. The color still looks good, so that is encouraging. Every time mine has been stressed, it lost the yellow tips and turned purplish. Could it be damage from a fish or invert? Have you made any changes to lighting or flow that could affect that area of the tank?
Also, keep in mind that it is an acro. Even the pros have a piece go south sometimes for no apparent reason.
No changes what so ever since the start up of this tank other than RM method. Just going to monitor at this point and try the KZ flatworm stop

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In answer to your opening question: Yes. I have many times over the years had an acro piece or even colony just die on me. Sometimes overnight while the rest of my acros just keep cruising. Maybe one death every 4-6 months. Some were newer pieces while others I have had for years. Unexplained.

Only once can I recall a pattern building up with some accelerating loss levels. Base recession that would work its way up on several different Millis. I was advised to dose Interceptor for a white bug infestation. That seemed to level the wings for me.

But for one piece/colony to die every six months or so does not change my methods.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Fox Flame does look very stressed out. The only things that stood out to me on your ICP test is that your PO4 is extremely low at .01 and your Flourine is very low. I'm guessing you probably did your correction dosing to get Flourine back up. I keep mine at 1.50. My PO4 is also higher than yours at .09.

My Fox Flame is in 475 PAR. It's done well there.

D1390892-BA99-4DD6-B1FF-BCA0DEA0D111.jpeg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Fox Flame does look very stressed out. The only things that stood out to me on your ICP test is that your PO4 is extremely low at .01 and your Flourine is very low. I'm guessing you probably did your correction dosing to get Flourine back up. I keep mine at 1.50. My PO4 is also higher than yours at .09.

My Fox Flame is in 475 PAR. It's done well there.

D1390892-BA99-4DD6-B1FF-BCA0DEA0D111.jpeg
Gorgeous!

Good catch on PO4 levels. Bouncing around zero is a dangerous place.

That said, phosphate measures by way of ICP are notoriously low relative to a Hanna ULR value. I wish I could recall the author of an article here on the subject. His paper was tagged into a thread I started on the subject. I will dig around for it.

But moral of the story is trust Hanna ULR for phosphates. Yes, it has an error range of +-.02 but my ICPs were coming back low by .06 to .09

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back