Sinularia green finger leather not doing well

Jonathan.T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, this is my first green leather coral. It looks like it’s wilting. I was told they like strong flow and current please advise

4DD040DD-8402-4DF5-99A8-D75C5A3A8810.jpeg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, this is my first green leather coral. It looks like it’s wilting. I was told they like strong flow and current please advise

4DD040DD-8402-4DF5-99A8-D75C5A3A8810.jpeg

If it was recently acquired, it maybe adjusting to your tank. If so, just give it some time.during this time it may "molt", slough off skin. Normal.

Things to look for would be discoloration like grey or black areas, open wound looking spots. This would be a indication of infection requiring attention.

If infection is observed, two ways to deal with it. One frag away the dieing tissue and or dip it in Lugol's solution as directed.

Hard to tell from you picture. Give it time and it should recover.

VictoryBell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine likes a lot of flow and gets super fluffy when put next to the wavemaker. Yours look like it has muck all over it which would make it unhappy. To me it looks like it needs some flow to clean it off.

AltitudeReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My leathers are constantly shedding and changing shape, and sometimes look bad. It used to alarm me but now as long as I see polyps from time to time I don’t worry about it. They do seem to be sensitive to any kind of change but adjust with some time.

OP
OP
Jonathan.T

Jonathan.T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I move it to a place which has much higher flower? Or just leave it, i just got it last week from the LFS. My tank is now 8 months old

OP
OP
Jonathan.T

Jonathan.T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did it look at the lfs?
Did it wilt as soon after you put it in your tank?
Do you have a wave maker going

It looked very good at the LFS all puffed up. It looked deflated the second it when into my tank but it did puff up back to 70% the next day but never like it did in the LFS. Now it just looks down and wilting, I should probably move it somewhere else right?

EDIT: It is placed in somewhere with rather high flow and high light area but NOT crazy high flow

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looked very good at the LFS all puffed up. It looked deflated the second it when into my tank but it did puff up back to 70% the next day but never like it did in the LFS. Now it just looks down and wilting, I should probably move it somewhere else right?
Your water parameters / temperature may be quite different to the lfs. Find out what theirs are & compare to yours. How intense was the lfs lighting compared to yours?

OP
OP
Jonathan.T

Jonathan.T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your water parameters / temperature may be quite different to the lfs. Find out what theirs are & compare to yours. How intense was the lfs lighting compared to yours?

My lighting is much more intense as compared to the LFS as am keeping SPS corals above. Parameters are stable but yeah it might be different at the LFS

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, i will give it another week and see before moving it somewhere else

That's okay. If you can lower your intensity a little for a short time, it may help. Your SPS should be fine with that short term.

Best of luck and once again it should recover.

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, it is a cool coral if it wasnt soft and bendy that much one would think it is an SPS with the tiny polyps opening up. mine was like your when I first got it and it took some time until it adapted to the tank, it wouldnt open up polyps just a tiny dot and no more. I left it in the tank and let it setle in. took around 2 weeks until I saw it opening up polyps fully to do its thingy. to me mine dont like high flow but like light.

Good luck with them and keep us updated :)

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always found leathers to be pretty hardy. Just keep moving/leaving until you find the right flow/light for them. Ultimately if they are unhappy they'll wax over and you just have to move them to a better spot. Of all the corals we've kept our leathers definitely the survivors of multiple house moves and tank moves. I wouldn't stress to much they'll come back.

OP
OP
Jonathan.T

Jonathan.T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, unfortunately I lost 95% of the colony. However the remaining 5% has been doing really well and has grown into 5" tall frag. Although I'm disappointed but i'm glad I managed to save it from dying.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back