Six line wrasse aggressive towards watchman goby

Squeven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a watchman goby and a six line wrasse living together in a 32 gallon aquarium for two months. I just saw the wrasse attacking the goby. The wrasse isn’t bugging my other fish. Do I need to rehome the wrasse, or is there something else I could try? Water parameters are stable, only new additions were some coral frags and a pistol shrimp.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, most six lines turn into real bullies (probably around 90%) over time. It's really hard to tell, sometimes the fish will work it out and other times things just keep getting worse. You'll have to judge for yourself if things seem to be getting worse or if you see any damage on the goby. Unfortunately, in a 32, there isn't a ton of real estate, so tempers can be even higher.

I will say my bias is that I'm not the biggest fan of six lines in these situations for this very reason, so hopefully I tried not to be too critical of the little guy :)

OP
OP
Squeven

Squeven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, most six lines turn into real bullies (probably around 90%) over time. It's really hard to tell, sometimes the fish will work it out and other times things just keep getting worse. You'll have to judge for yourself if things seem to be getting worse or if you see any damage on the goby. Unfortunately, in a 32, there isn't a ton of real estate, so tempers can be even higher.

I will say my bias is that I'm not the biggest fan of six lines in these situations for this very reason, so hopefully I tried not to be too critical of the little guy :)
Looks like the Wrasse is going to be going to a different home. Online research didn’t mention the aggression as they age

I know it’s off topic, but do you have any recommendations for a replacement fish? TheWrasse was the only fish that was actually mine.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. I'm assuming this is the biocube, but let me know if that's a bad assumption.

Here are some of the common choices that might interest you:
  • Obviously clownfish :)
  • Many of the smaller blennies (e.g. Lawnmower). You may want to avoid the fangtooth blennies given your experience, but generally they're easy going in these siutations.
  • Lubocks Fairy Wrasse (or some of the other fairy wrasses)

• Royal Gramma
  • I'd avoid most other gobies, but you may get away with a clown goby.
However, if you have any particular shapes, colors, or types of fish that interest you, I can try and tailor my answer so it's less "generic" for a 32 gallon tank :)

OP
OP
Squeven

Squeven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. I'm assuming this is the biocube, but let me know if that's a bad assumption.

Here are some of the common choices that might interest you:
  • Obviously clownfish :)
  • Many of the smaller blennies (e.g. Lawnmower). You may want to avoid the fangtooth blennies given your experience, but generally they're easy going in these siutations.
  • Lubocks Fairy Wrasse (or some of the other fairy wrasses)

• Royal Gramma
  • I'd avoid most other gobies, but you may get away with a clown goby.
However, if you have any particular shapes, colors, or types of fish that interest you, I can try and tailor my answer so it's less "generic" for a 32 gallon tank :)
Spot on with the BioCube. I might try a Blennie, and post progress to a build thread. Thank you for the advice!!

Grill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, most six lines turn into real bullies (probably around 90%) over time.
I have to agree with Andrew but I'll add another 9% and bump it up to 99% of the time they turn into bullies! Especially in a smaller tank. :mad:

SkyDoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a watchman goby and a six line wrasse living together in a 32 gallon aquarium for two months. I just saw the wrasse attacking the goby. The wrasse isn’t bugging my other fish. Do I need to rehome the wrasse, or is there something else I could try? Water parameters are stable, only new additions were some coral frags and a pistol shrimp.
i dont know if you have looked into the Carpenter wrasse, ours is pretty laid back and doesnt mess with anyone (clowns, fire gobie, pseudochromis, pistal shrimp and yellow watchman gobie). Oh and hes really pretty. He was in there before the fire gobie also, i got the fire gobie from a friend because he was getting picked on in their tank, i was worried, but havent had any issues...so far.They are in a 34 gallon red sea max

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back