Six line wrasse

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So added my wrasse yesterday, already tried to jump out of the bucket while acclamation.

I love the look of rimless no lid to look down on my corals as I think it looks gorgeous from above but the wrass might jump out, but I was wondering once he's established in the tank after about a month of him being happy, could I remove the lid or will he still be prone to jump.

Im Willing to sacrifice the top veiw of the corals for the life of the wrasse tho lol...

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,stick with lid ;) :)

vsolovyev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of rimless tank too, but I would recommend to get a top or make a diy one especially with six lines, I just lost a yellow watch man that’s been in the tank since the beginning and a hogfish that was getting bullied and now I threw on a top because I wouldn’t want it to happen a third time.

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren’t really known to but mine was getting chased by a clownfish
Oh dang my clowns are quite calm but the female can get roudy. She accepted my wrasse and swims with him so hopefully they get along long term

I've wanted a six line for ages but I think I should have added him last incase he bullies the fish I want to add (watchman n firefish) but when I orderd my corals he was on sale so I had to lol.

He seems like a chill wrasse tho hasn't even nipped at my snails or hermits yet might just be that he's not established a territory yet

Also is there an easy way to tell if six lines are male or female?

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I HATE rimless tanks - nothing but trouble. You can't run a wavemaker without water sloshing out, you have to deal with salt creep all the time, and fish easily slip out in the corners.
I'm a big fan of fully eurobraced tanks. Even without a lit fish are far less likely to jump out. Of course, if you have spawning pairs of wrasses or other pelagic spawners that decent rapidly a net over a tank is a must. I lost a number of sixlines that hopped out during spawning.

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I HATE rimless tanks - nothing but trouble. You can't run a wavemaker without water sloshing out, you have to deal with salt creep all the time, and fish easily slip out in the corners.
I'm a big fan of fully eurobraced tanks. Even without a lit fish are far less likely to jump out. Of course, if you have spawning pairs of wrasses or other pelagic spawners that decent rapidly a net over a tank is a must. I lost a number of sixlines that hopped out during spawning.
There's a glass lid on the tank and I run the waterline about 3-4 inches from the top. I have a nice 5ft tank to setup once I get my own house lol.

The nano is basically a grow out for the fish and corals

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a glass lid on the tank and I run the waterline about 3-4 inches from the top. I have a nice 5ft tank to setup once I get my own house lol.

The nano is basically a grow out for the fish and corals
Well 60gallon cube but I still consider it a nano

fishkeepinginasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So added my wrasse yesterday, already tried to jump out of the bucket while acclamation.

I love the look of rimless no lid to look down on my corals as I think it looks gorgeous from above but the wrass might jump out, but I was wondering once he's established in the tank after about a month of him being happy, could I remove the lid or will he still be prone to jump.

Im Willing to sacrifice the top veiw of the corals for the life of the wrasse tho lol...
I second the lid for sure, even if he seems settled. All it would take is him getting spooked one good time. I'm also a huge fan of the way rimless look.

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the lid for sure, even if he seems settled. All it would take is him getting spooked one good time. I'm also a huge fan of the way rimless look.
Yeah for sure going to keep the lid.

Will he eat my snails/hermits? He hasn't even bothered with them yet.

I see a lot of negative comments on six lines but mine seems chill. I guess it's just the stocking in the tank and keeping him well fed? I do spot feed every fish.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,clowns ,jumpers too ;) start a build thread,let us see tank n follow progress ,and help along the way:cool:

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah for sure going to keep the lid.

Will he eat my snails/hermits? He hasn't even bothered with them yet.

I see a lot of negative comments on six lines but mine seems chill. I guess it's just the stocking in the tank and keeping him well fed? I do spot feed every fish.

You'll find the sixline to be a very sporadic fish, one minute mellow next minute a bully. They'll keep your bristle worm population in check but they're notorious hassling other fish in the tank.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 2 things in tank setups that make me cringe:

1. Bare bottom (I can’t ever imagine a tank without substrate but then I’m saying this as a Goby and shrimp lover and Halichoeres fan)

2. Uncovered tank (Evaporation, jumping fish)

If any LFS advocates these two practices together, I’m going to find another one. Also I really don’t see how an uncovered tank looks better? Never got that.

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 2 things in tank setups that make me cringe:

1. Bare bottom (I can’t ever imagine a tank without substrate but then I’m saying this as a Goby and shrimp lover and Halichoeres fan)

2. Uncovered tank (Evaporation, jumping fish)

If any LFS advocates these two practices together, I’m going to find another one. Also I really don’t see how an uncovered tank looks better? Never got that.
I agree on bare bottom, only exception I think is a big freshwater tank with big fish like arowanas to keep matinance minimal but saltwater has to have substrate.

Maybe if I had a lion fish which are messy eaters then that might also be an exception.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back