Skimmer Q&A Thread

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by mojo, Jul 16, 2009.

1. reeftivo

reeftivo skim junkie R2R Supporter

sorry, missed the pic
    [​IMG]

2. mattzang

mattzang Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

IMG_0974.JPG

i left that one out because i didn't think it showed much hah, i can try to take some more pics later if that'd help.

yeah i could definitely raise the water level, it just seemed like it wasn't doing anything at that level so i added the egg crate and lowered the water level which seemed to help. bubbles near the top better than tiny bubbles barely above the water line i figured heh

so you think raise the water level and then open the gate more? and that should give me a wetter skim?

3. reeftivo

take out the black light diffuser panel from underneath and see if that gets your foam head in the body of the skimmer higher (without adjusting). That looks like just one piece of panel but it still should get you skimmer lower in the water a half inch or so. Unless that stand is deeper than it looks ;-).

the recommended depth is 7.8 but i would run that skimmer at 9 inches.

mattzang likes this.
  4. mattzang

ok thanks for your help man!

yeah it's really small, i'll remove that and i can slowly raise the water level in the sump to a decent level

5. reeftivo

my pleasure

i have a little experience with the aquamaxx CO1 ;) and the smaller shark pumps (sicces) perform a little better when run a bit deeper in my experience. Sicces are fantastic skimmer pumps and i've had them on the last 4 skimmers i've used.

report back after adjustments.

Happy Reefing and have a Merry Christmas and happy New Years!!

mattzang likes this.
  6. mattzang

alright egg crate removed and i raised up the water level a bit, i'll let it go for a day or two and see how it's doing

you have a great holiday as well!

7. darinsmall86

darinsmall86 Member

I am shopping for a new skimmer for my 180 gallon. Sump space is no issue and I am planning a sps tank so it will be heavily fed. My main point is it needs to work well and be quiet. I am looking at a Nyos quantum 160 or 220. Not sure is the 160 will be big enough. Any other suggestions.

8. New reefer11

New reefer11 Member

Hey guys! How was everyone Christmas? I hope it was good for all. I have a 20gal. Nuvo and I’m look for a good protein skimmer to add. Also do I just add one skimmer or do I need two?

9. Sapper Ski

Sapper Ski Member Build Thread Contributor

Ok, I’m going to be a bit lazy here and instead of reading through the 112 pages of skimmers I’m going to ask for a suggestion. I have a 90g tank with a 20g sump. I’m currently looking at a SCA-302 180g in sump protein skimmer. I plan on having a high bioload, though at the moment I have live rock (that’s it). Is there a better skimmer out there for $200ish? Am I doing overboard with a skimmer rated for 180g on a 110g system? Suggestions appreciated.

10. Jshiloh

Jshiloh Member

Reef octopus makes good quality skimmers and they are roughly around your price point. Also take a look at eshops. I know this is out of your budget but on my 120 I’m currently running one of the new deltec 600ix and love it no problems as of yet.

11. Mordie101

Mordie101 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

Anyone ever put a tubing line between their skimmer and pump to help with sump room..? Skimmer is too large for sump that I have and I really wanted this skimmer. Could I add a line and set the pump behind the skimmer and it still work the same??

12. MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster Active Member R2R Supporter

I have a Octopus 200 Int Elite Skimmer with DC Pump on my 180 gal tank. I love this skimmer. Silent and skims like crazy. Yes, it is pricey but well worth it! I've never had any problems with it in the 4 years I've owned it.

13. biecacka

biecacka Active Member

I think one thing to consider seriously is the definition of “high bioload”. Buying a skimmer properly sized is important and having a companies idea of what a light, medium, high bioload only helps size a skimmer correctly.

Corey

14. reeftivo

my LFS has an SCA on one of their independent frag tanks and it skims like crazy. Beware they come with atman pumps and i have had some BM skimmers that had them cr@p out on me. Atmans are hit or miss but mostly miss in my experience.

15. reeftivo

no need for a skimmer unless you want some peace of mind in case something dies off while you're away. One gallon weekly water changes should keep up fine.

if you're dead set on a skimmer I would recommend the newer tunze DOC 9001 nano and use it "in chamber" as opposed to hang on. There are good little hang ons too but you most likely will need an ATO if you dont have one already.

16. reeftivo

skimmers should all be matched to perform based on their tested component dimensions. if you change anything (length/direction of tubing, pump, impeller etc..) expect some differences in performance (good or bad).

Mordie101 likes this.
  17. reeftivo

if your pretty set on Nyos then 220.

The Bubble magus curve 7 elites run with psk600's and are priced very well. There is also the reef octo elite and regal series that get great reviews but you would need to decide where your 180 would fall into their light/heavy load ranges. it appears 180 gallons is kind of in the middle for 6 or 8 inch elites.

Not sure what your budget is, but take a hard look at the aquamaxx Q2 or Q3 space savers and the aquamaxx Cone CO2 and CO3 with pumps outside the body. The outer body pumps will handle larger tanks than space savers since there is more volume in the skimmer body.

18. reeftivo

lifereef and MTC are also options if you aren't energy conscious and can run a larger pressure pump for mazzie injectors

Don Lidtke likes this.
  19. New reefer11

New reefer11 Member

5EC3DC17-4016-454E-9573-C66EDE2DF348.jpeg 28A93905-D3F6-445F-8AF4-352FA9A1BAB7.jpeg
    Will the newer tunze DOC 9001 nano fit in the chamber of the Nuvo 20? I bought a Hydor Slim Skim and it won’t fit so now I’m back to square 1 lol

20. Yanos

Yanos Member

Hi guys,

I’ve got Aqua Medic Evo 3000 protein skimmer for my 200G tank

I have had it connected as external skimmer.
    Now to save some space in cabinet, as I need room for my calcium reactor installation, I installed it inside the sump.
    Since I’ve done it, the skimmer, produces very little bubbles. Not enough to build up the foam.
    What am I doing wrong?

Draft saved Draft deleted