Skimmer Q&A Thread

NanoReefy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am not sure this question has been answered before as they are are 146 pages on just this thread alone so it is kind of hard to go through all that. I have a Fluval Sea MINI in my 13.5 reef tank. No matter how much I adjust the diel it constantly over flows as seen in the picture. Is it something I am doing or is the skimmer defective and need to be replaced? (sorry for picture quality)

Attachments

• fluval 1.jpg
    fluval 1.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Fluval 2.jpg
    Fluval 2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 58

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am not sure this question has been answered before as they are are 146 pages on just this thread alone so it is kind of hard to go through all that. I have a Fluval Sea MINI in my 13.5 reef tank. No matter how much I adjust the diel it constantly over flows as seen in the picture. Is it something I am doing or is the skimmer defective and need to be replaced? (sorry for picture quality)
You tried opening the air valve to let air into the pump?

NanoReefy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You tried opening the air valve to let air into the pump?
yes. I have opened it all the way to the point it was coming off. I have 2 tanks that are identical both have the same skimmer on them. The other one dials in and works good. it is like the bigger knob is just stripped on this one.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes. I have opened it all the way to the point it was coming off. I have 2 tanks that are identical both have the same skimmer on them. The other one dials in and works good. it is like the bigger knob is just stripped on this one.
Does pulling the pipe off the valve work?

kylemg2011

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have an aquamaxx cone s Q-1 and at night the foam head seems to just drop off and it stops producing anything? any suggestions

crispyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to upgrade from my Red Sea RSK 300 skimmer to a more silent skimmer with a DC pump.
Currently trying to choose between a Deltec 400i and a Maxspect Jump SK-400 for my 80-gallon tank. I really like the features of the Maxspect but I am not sure if it will be as quiet as the Deltec, or if it is too large (rated for 100 gallons with a heavy bioload).
Anyone have experience with either model? Thanks

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone here use an RSK 300?

I am having some problems getting this thing dialed in. It can go for a couple days with no skimmate, and then I'll adjust it very slightly and 8 hours later the thing will have bubbles coming out the holes and I have to empty water through the drain tube.. I turn it back down slightly, and nothing for days. I've never had a skimmer act like this. It's been this way for a few months now.

I thought it was my algae scrubber, took that off. Still doing it. I replaced the tube to air intake, maybe it had a hole and was taking in water, nope. I really don't want to buy another skimmer, but this thing is a headache.

Fuzzy_Dunlop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone here use an RSK 300?

I am having some problems getting this thing dialed in. It can go for a couple days with no skimmate, and then I'll adjust it very slightly and 8 hours later the thing will have bubbles coming out the holes and I have to empty water through the drain tube.. I turn it back down slightly, and nothing for days. I've never had a skimmer act like this. It's been this way for a few months now.

I thought it was my algae scrubber, took that off. Still doing it. I replaced the tube to air intake, maybe it had a hole and was taking in water, nope. I really don't want to buy another skimmer, but this thing is a headache.
I have the same problem with the same skimmer, I honestly don't think it's pulled any real, thick, stinky skimmate in a couple of months. Once in a while I'll get about an inch of slightly brown water in the cup, but that's it. Mine is hooked up to a recirculating co2 scrubber, I'm starting to wonder if that's my issue.

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the same problem with the same skimmer, I honestly don't think it's pulled any real, thick, stinky skimmate in a couple of months. Once in a while I'll get about an inch of slightly brown water in the cup, but that's it. Mine is hooked up to a recirculating co2 scrubber, I'm starting to wonder if that's my issue.
I gave up and ordered a Maxpsect SK400. That RSK is pure junk.

2 nights ago it had some good bubbles up the neck, but wasn't producing skimmate, I turned the level probably 1/16th of a turn. Next morning, thing was overflowing water, through the holes in the lid.. etc.. etc.. I'm over it. Red Sea can have their junk back.

JWright0291

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping someone can help me with my fusion 20. I recently bought an Aquamaxx NF-1 but I’m not sure it fits. Does this look like it’s far enough down?
ECDC0EB6-43C6-420D-A857-A683759C405E.jpeg

1C9BD35B-9A57-4F17-A358-6B1F3FA8C117.jpeg

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping someone can help me with my fusion 20. I recently bought an Aquamaxx NF-1 but I’m not sure it fits. Does this look like it’s far enough down?
ECDC0EB6-43C6-420D-A857-A683759C405E.jpeg

1C9BD35B-9A57-4F17-A358-6B1F3FA8C117.jpeg
the effluent looks too low or blocked off by the chamber. that's the slot at top right on body where the water comes out.

there are a few videos of this running on the tube, and some may be running in a chamber similar to yours. contact the poster of one of those videos and you can maybe get some better info. Or check here in the nano forums for other people using this skimmer.

Last edited:

ThaiVN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
đã ai dùng skim ZKSJ reef 200 chưa ? Tôi thấy bơm của zksj giống bubble king DragonX.

Translation:
Has anyone used the ZKSJ reef 200 skim? I see zksj pump like bubble king DragonX.

Last edited by a moderator:

ThaiVN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1655474706036_1655474725953.jpg
IMG_1655474601972_1655474625845.jpg
Screenshot_20220617-204756_Chrome.jpg

Tôi có 1 skim Zksj rạn 200 và theo nhà sản xuất cho biết. họ sản xuất máy bơm cho vua bong bóng. Ai đã sử dụng skim zksj?

Translation:
I have 1 skim Zksj rip 200 and according to the manufacturer said. they produce pumps for the king of bubbles. Who used the zksj skim?

Screenshot_20220617-204756_Chrome.jpg IMG_1655474706036_1655474725953.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
đã ai dùng skim ZKSJ reef 200 chưa ? Tôi thấy bơm của zksj giống bubble king DragonX.

Translation:
Has anyone used the ZKSJ reef 200 skim? I see zksj pump like bubble king DragonX.
wow. just saw those on web and wonder how they can sell them that cheap. design looks solid and that pump in their pic sure looks like the new DCs that are coming with some of the BK models. i have a double cone BK and the pump looks the same in pic. curious if anyone fires back and has one of these.

mine
1655476213780.jpeg

ZKSJ
1655476269818.png

katonge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this has been answered many, many times but I just can’t seem to find it. Maybe not using the right search words?
How do I get the skimmer (reef octopus 200sss) to stop overflowing after using algae killer & cleaning the skimmer? I’ve dialed it back as far as it can go but clean white frothy stuff & mostly clear water.
Can someone please point me in the right direction?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this has been answered many, many times but I just can’t seem to find it. Maybe not using the right search words?
How do I get the skimmer (reef octopus 200sss) to stop overflowing after using algae killer & cleaning the skimmer? I’ve dialed it back as far as it can go but clean white frothy stuff & mostly clear water.
Can someone please point me in the right direction?
Skimmer off
water change
Aggressive carbon use and change weekly (aggressive = more than recommended and frequent change outs)
Polyfilter can also help

not sure what algaecide is used in Chemiclean or other brands since most SDS just list proprietary compounds, but the combo of WC, aggressive carbon and polyfilter should help

Back