Skimmers which one to get

Wildman926

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am unsure on that comparison as the SRO 2000 is a foam cannon with too much pump for that body .

How do you come to this conclusion? Do you have any personal, first hand experience? They are max air, balanced for the body. Here is a pic of mine. You will note that there is micro bubbles in the body/transition area, slightly larger past the black ring in the neck area, and larger in the neck area of the collection cup for max removal of waste.

9F113212-3DE4-4E4D-B993-86B75864241A-3333-0000064E79999316.jpg

Since you like EuroReef, then you know that pic is correct. It can be backed up by Jeff Macare/Reef Dynamics in some of his youtube videos.

Correct me if I am wrong but it is a sicce 1000 pump which is used on a lot of skimmers out there now . Seaside Aquatics , BM option , Coralvue, Avast , rebranded Skimz Aka CSC . , I don't think the risk is that bad being a guinea pig for the Omega .It is definitely less than the 1st gen Vertex or my EuroReef CS 12-1 . Both skimmers suffered from swollen or locked impellers .I have not seen this with the newer sicce units. It is still early in the week so hopefully someone will post their Omega soon .To the OP congrats n keep us posted .

Sure, here comes the correction. Those Sicce pumps are made exclusively for Vertex, mainly the impeller. They are not off the shelf pumps. The block was in design as late as November.

I did not want to turn this into a Omega vs SRO. I was only raising a red flag for the person who bought the new Omega. Just trying to help is all.

OP
OP
CraigG

CraigG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wildman,
Thank you for your input. You've made some really good points and have given me some things to think about.

Wildman926

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wildman,
Thank you for your input. You've made some really good points and have given me some things to think about.

You are very welcome. Just trying to help.

I hope Premium Aquatics does stock replacement parts for them. I know I had trouble with getting warranty work on a Syncra 3000 (impeller), and it took over 2 months to get a part due to them coming from Italy. I never got the part and requested my money back. And this is on an off the shelf pump.

The picture above is how a skimmer should run with maximum air, without having turbulence in the neck. The bubbles should continue to get slightly larger as they converge upward in the portion that narrows. This is normal. If they don't get slightly larger, then the body could use more air for maximum scrubbing affect. Just keep this in mind when you get your Omega. The specs are that it draws 850lph per hour, as compared to the SRO/960lph, but the Omega's body is slightly smaller in volume and height. I am anxious to see how the Omega fairs. Competition is good, as we all benefit from that. :bigsmile:

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you come to this conclusion? Do you have any personal, first hand experience? They are max air, balanced for the body. Here is a pic of mine. You will note that there is micro bubbles in the body/transition area, slightly larger past the black ring in the neck area, and larger in the neck area of the collection cup for max removal of waste.

9F113212-3DE4-4E4D-B993-86B75864241A-3333-0000064E79999316.jpg

Since you like EuroReef, then you know that pic is correct. It can be backed up by Jeff Macare/Reef Dynamics in some of his youtube videos.

FWIW . I used to love EuroReef .. It was one of the greats years ago . Here was mine .

IMG_0583.jpg

Yep Like I said it's a foam cannon . which is a compliment ) a lil too much air imho . Got one and could not run it because the height became 2 tall for clearance . It went to a buddy that runs it on a 120 . He has a taller stand so he's at 6 inches on the water level and it still skims slightly wet . ( not my preference ) . The pump has been sent back 3 times .
Once for the impeller . Then just the pump was sent the second go around . Now it's on the third BB 2000 pump . Yes great support , but no so perfect right ?
If i remember correctly u gotta run it sorta wet or the neck get's too dirty too quickly.

Sure, here comes the correction. Those Sicce pumps are made exclusively for Vertex, mainly the impeller. They are not off the shelf pumps. The block was in design as late as November.

I did not want to turn this into a Omega vs SRO. I was only raising a red flag for the person who bought the new Omega. Just trying to help is all.

Wasn't trying to start a vs thread . It's just seems as if people are putting this skimmer out to the pasture before it even hit's anyone's home . It's all good though .

Last edited:

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW. As you can see the transistion of the bubbles appear different than yours. Could be anything . This is the pic of the SRO I mentioned earlier .

This pic was taken when I was visiting friends back home .

IMG950657_1.jpg

Wildman926

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got one and could not run it because the height became 2 tall for clearance . It went to a buddy that runs it on a 120 . He has a taller stand so he's at 6 inches on the water level and it still skims slightly wet . ( not my preference ) . The pump has been sent back 3 times .
Once for the impeller . Then just the pump was sent the second go around . Now it's on the third BB 2000 pump . Yes great support , but no so perfect right ?
If i remember correctly u gotta run it sorta wet or the neck get's too dirty too quickly.

Skimming wet is a good thing. You are ensuring that you are removing every bit of waste that you can. In other words, there is no chance of it falling back down in the skimmer body. The neck gets dirty quickly from removing the junk out of the system, that is what is supposed to happen.

Yes, excellent support from Coralvue, and that is my point on the new skimmers from Vertex. Hopefully, that is not an issue. NO skimmers are perfect. Look at Bubble King, and their support. There is none...and you pay so much for them.

FWIW. As you can see the transistion of the bubbles appear different than yours. Could be anything . This is the pic of the SRO I mentioned earlier .

This pic was taken when I was visiting friends back home .

IMG950657_1.jpg

There is something wrong with this pic and I can possibly explain why. When your friend recieved his new pump, did he also use the new volute that came with it, or did he reuse the old one? If he used the old one, that is his problem, as I initially made this mistake. The replacement pumps are smaller overall in size, and the impeller is so much larger than the old model. The new volutes have a smaller inlet due to the extra draw of the impeller. You can see the gray reducing ring inside the new volute in the pics I will provide. When I tried to use the old volute on the new pump, I had the exact same issue you are seeing in the pic you provided. It made it draw too much water and air. You try to reduce the input with the gate valve, but you still had too much air. I can show you pics of both of my skimmers, and they perform exactly the same way, in the proper manner.

Here are some pics of the old/new pump, and my skimmers that I just took. The old pump is on the left, and note that it only has 3 screws on the volute, and the volute is round. The new pump has 4 screws and the volute is square -

Pump Comparison
CCA69A27-FCE7-44E7-B517-3326D5B4882D-163-00000010ABFF257C.jpg

025FDF75-824F-40FA-932C-2DAD863851A1-163-00000010B5FCCEA1.jpg

66C81008-D568-44A3-BC67-09A290C5DFD0-163-00000010C29FFBA9.jpg

My skimmers with the new pumps -
150g -
DA3825FD-62E2-4A73-AF99-F201B16F1152-163-0000001589CFC70E.jpg

1ADEDFC5-32E3-433A-AB93-5898AFB1466E-163-00000016D2BC6B47.jpg

110g -
5E0E71C9-4C46-4B24-9283-36835441368E-163-0000001582D05907.jpg

16A9915A-1901-4E1D-A575-BDFD1679A0E6-163-00000016CC1EC243.jpg

Wildman926

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to add that there is a smaller opening on the new pump/volute, along with the reducing ring inside the volute. You can see this in my pics above. If you use the old volute with the new pump, that is too much opening and allows too much water/air to be drawn for that size of body.

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to add that there is a smaller opening on the new pump/volute, along with the reducing ring inside the volute. You can see this in my pics above. If you use the old volute with the new pump, that is too much opening and allows too much water/air to be drawn for that size of body.

Thanks for the tips .It is set up with all the new components. He is running dryer than u . Ur's is really wet .Yes : CV says small size bubbles under the neck n pea size in . Which is too wet for him ..U gotta good eye there :thumbup:

I have read mixed views on the ATI ...neck leaks ..I think that's fixed now . That's a pretty impressive impeller but it just scares me on the outflow adjustment .It may be solid but it looks like something I could easily break..I'm heavy handed.lol.

Sent from my Moto HD on Jelly Bean

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 56 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 46 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back