Skimmers which one to get

CraigG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I think its time to ditch the ASM G4+ and go with something more modern. 1st of all I way over sized with that beast on my 120 sps dominate tank with a moderate bio load and bio pellets, the skimmer struggles to form a head. Anyways, I was eying up the new Vertex omega 150 or the SRO xp2000I 8" cone. Which skimmer should I get I'm open to other models as well.
Have a Happy Holiday :bigsmile:[h=1][/h]

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I liked my ASM G4. I switched to a Bubble Magus and hated it so I went back to the G4. Sorry I couldn't help with your quest for a new skimmer. Merry Christmas!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to bust on the "getting" spirit, but I'd also stay with the G4. Lack of skimmate is your success, not the skimmer's failure. Roll with it...enjoy! (Daily neck cleanings will help with head-building, btw....but only a little. Nutrient levels are the main thing.)

(The other skimmers will not be any better, BTW.)

-Matt

OP
OP
CraigG

CraigG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, I am always looking to 1 up my setup lol. I got that G4 MODed to the teeth recirc, gate valve, mesh mod, enlarged venturi and bio pelet injection port. So you guys think I should keep it? I do run 0 NO3, and water is very clear. These new reef toys are so tempting, I just want to buy something really great for the tank and hopefully take it to the next level.
Merry Christmas All

OP
OP
CraigG

CraigG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I know you told me it won't be any better but I just ordered the omega 150 vertex. I can justify it in its vastly more efficient motor. 90 watt sedra 9000 to the 19watt vertex.

Wildman926

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I know you told me it won't be any better but I just ordered the omega 150 vertex. I can justify it in its vastly more efficient motor. 90 watt sedra 9000 to the 19watt vertex.

So you are justifying a brand new line of skimmer, with a exclusively modified Sicce pump (meaning no off the shelf impeller), that has not even been out in the public better than what you have now?

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with bubble king about a year plus or so and think it is great. Super expensive but great. I also hear terrific stuff about reef octopus. I do think power usage is really important because this is an expensive enough hobby without a huge electric bill. Technology has changed with skimmers from shape to power efficiency, so by all means do your homework. And lastly, an oversized skimmer seems to have a problem with building up a head although I am not sure of the physics involved. Good luck and choose wisely.

OP
OP
CraigG

CraigG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wild man, premium aquatics will have the replacement pump parts so I've heard. It's a gamble but as stated bellow I've struggled with to large a skimmer for sometime now. Btw, my reef power consumption is very low on my 120. Mainly due to my LEDs and done to a more efficient pump. I love effiency!

EpicWin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny. I used to be really into the efficiency game. 1st gen LED. Very concerned with pump wattage. At the time I was in a physics class and we were working on current ( watts amps etc). When I did the calculations to see how much my low watt tank was saving me I was horrified. I realized the savings from my LEDs were about 15$ per year over my halides. Think of it like this a 40 watt bulb left on for a year 24/7 costs about 11$.

OP
OP
CraigG

CraigG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epicwin,
You are so right, but I think were you win with LEDs is in your cooling cost and bulb replacement frequency. As for the 19 watt pump it could put less heat into the water column as well which would be significant.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only people that thik the ASM skimmers are as good as the more modern skimmers are fooling themselves. While they may be sufficient for some set-ups, they just can't keep pace with the airdraw of many modern skimmers. They're also made of much cheaper materials than even many of the chinese knock-off skimmers on the market.

I think upgrading was a good call.

Last edited:

Wildman926

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wild man, premium aquatics will have the replacement pump parts so I've heard. It's a gamble but as stated bellow I've struggled with to large a skimmer for sometime now. Btw, my reef power consumption is very low on my 120. Mainly due to my LEDs and done to a more efficient pump. I love effiency!

I did not word my post as clearly as I should have, but I was more concerned with you choosing an untried skimmer. Upgrade, yes. In fact, I have the SRO 2000's on both of my tanks (110g, 150g), and Current USA LED Pro strips. I chose both for performance, and efficiency at the time (almost 2 years ago). Good luck and looking forward to your thoughts on the new Omega 150.

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed ... I would have done the same thing .. U should at least keep a foam head now .LOL

OP
OP
CraigG

CraigG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not word my post as clearly as I should have, but I was more concerned with you choosing an untried skimmer. Upgrade, yes. In fact, I have the SRO 2000's on both of my tanks (110g, 150g), and Current USA LED Pro strips. I chose both for performance, and efficiency at the time (almost 2 years ago). Good luck and looking forward to your thoughts on the new Omega 150.

Well its not totally untried, the guy over at Premium aquatics has one out there running and he is speaking very highly of it.

Wildman926

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but one skimmer, and a pre-production model at best, does not make it tried and true. That is my point. I know Jeremy at Premium Aquatics has tested it, and likes it, speaking highly of it. He even recommends it over the SRO 2000 in some instances, which I find irresponsible. However, it is still his opinion of a preproduction model. Too early to tell. and I would not want to be a guinea pig trying it out. Vertex thought the INS were great. They are replacing that line with the Omega. ??

Wildman926

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides, Jeremy has to sell the units, so I would take his advice with a grain of salt.

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but one skimmer, and a pre-production model at best, does not make it tried and true. That is my point. I know Jeremy at Premium Aquatics has tested it, and likes it, speaking highly of it. He even recommends it over the SRO 2000 in some instances, which I find irresponsible. However, it is still his opinion of a preproduction model. Too early to tell. and I would not want to be a guinea pig trying it out. Vertex thought the INS were great. They are replacing that line with the Omega. ??

I am unsure on that comparison as the SRO 2000 is a foam cannon with too much pump for that body . It just doesn't run good unless the sump level is 5..5 to 6.0 inches . As far as ASM are , u really gotta love and hate the sedra pump just like the INS series .The new sicce pump has been out for a lil bit so there really shouldn't be an issue with it .
Correct me if I am wrong but it is a sicce 1000 pump which is used on a lot of skimmers out there now . Seaside Aquatics , BM option , Coralvue, Avast , rebranded Skimz Aka CSC . , I don't think the risk is that bad being a guinea pig for the Omega .It is definitely less than the 1st gen Vertex or my EuroReef CS 12-1 . Both skimmers suffered from swollen or locked impellers .I have not seen this with the newer sicce units. It is still early in the week so hopefully someone will post their Omega soon .To the OP congrats n keep us posted ....

Sent from my Moto HD on Jelly Bean

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back