Skunk cleaner shrimp behavior?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this skunk cleaner shrimp 5 days agom hes been very active espcially when i put food. 2 days ago he started to hang at the bag when i put food he barely gets active. Im worried. He spend most of his days hanging in this corner upside down. Should i stop treating the shrimp like a fish and they eat when they eat or whats the deal?

Attachments

• 20221002_110722.mp4
    30.3 MB
OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
usually they 'eat when they eat' - i.e. treat them like a fish. Additionally - when getting ready to molt - they often go away to a corner, etc. EDIT - or after they molt
He didnt molt. Hes just hanging like the video. He usually goes around and etc. My system is stable and nothing changed.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp are rarely active when there’s fish in the tank. It’s often a survival skill (I can’t see your video on my phone unfortunately so I’m just assuming).
Another reason as said above is due to potentially starting to molt. This can take a while to do and often once molted they vanish to harden off their new exoskeleton.
The other reason I can think of, he’s set up a cleaning station. He will sit here and do a what seems to be a dance, this is him trying to attract fish to get cleaned. Mine often cleans my Foxface and Tang. Here’s a photo of what I mean (Lysmata amboinensis cleaning a Ctenochaetus binotatus).
12E49C65-B298-496F-A430-70C893E2AE80.jpeg

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp are rarely active when there’s fish in the tank. It’s often a survival skill (I can’t see your video on my phone unfortunately so I’m just assuming).
Another reason as said above is due to potentially starting to molt. This can take a while to do and often once molted they vanish to harden off their new exoskeleton.
The other reason I can think of, he’s set up a cleaning station. He will sit here and do a what seems to be a dance, this is him trying to attract fish to get cleaned. Mine often cleans my Foxface and Tang. Here’s a photo of what I mean (Lysmata amboinensis cleaning a Ctenochaetus binotatus).
12E49C65-B298-496F-A430-70C893E2AE80.jpeg
Understandable. Can you check the video now

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is what shrimp do. It could be sick - or about to molt - or has molted - and you didn't notice.... I would not worry - and even if you are worried unfortunately - there is not much to do about it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Got this skunk cleaner shrimp 5 days agom hes been very active espcially when i put food. 2 days ago he started to hang at the bag when i put food he barely gets active. Im worried. He spend most of his days hanging in this corner upside down. Should i stop treating the shrimp like a fish and they eat when they eat or whats the deal?
May be going into molting period which it will be less active with cruising around and eating

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came to my tank this morning and i see a dead shrimp on the ground i freaked out screaming hea dead till he showed up behind a rock. Man almost lost it..
Just wait till you catch them eating their molt. That's when the true discomfort sets in!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Came to my tank this morning and i see a dead shrimp on the ground i freaked out screaming hea dead till he showed up behind a rock. Man almost lost it..
As mentioned. . tell tale signs of a molt

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back