RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im having the same issues. My zoas dont like to grow quick. My mushroom is multiplying like mad tho.

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like it could be a lot of turf algae and also Dino. I would work on getting the tank clean before trying to dial in the coral. The Dino itself could be causing problems. After that, toss the API. Get more accurate test kits. I would work on the algae first

HanKami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to say that algae/bryopsis/hair algae is stunting you coral growth. Sometimes test kits give false reading. What I would do is to try to control the algae, with ceirth snails and margarita snail. ( they will clean your tank but they will die shorty after) or you can go for the uv light or phosban reactor route. Once the green algae is under control your coral growth will take off. As for the purple and pink helix. At this moment they are fighting to establish themselves in a tank that has algae established in it.

OP
OP
AlexChef

AlexChef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to say that algae/bryopsis/hair algae is stunting you coral growth. Sometimes test kits give false reading. What I would do is to try to control the algae, with ceirth snails and margarita snail. ( they will clean your tank but they will die shorty after) or you can go for the uv light or phosban reactor route. Once the green algae is under control your coral growth will take off. As for the purple and pink helix. At this moment they are fighting to establish themselves in a tank that has algae established in it.
I often have to blow the algae off of my zoas and out of the branches of my cinulara since it’s such a small system I think the snails should do the trick. I do have a bottle of phosband on hand but no reactor system for this size system

OP
OP
AlexChef

AlexChef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like it could be a lot of turf algae and also Dino. I would work on getting the tank clean before trying to dial in the coral. The Dino itself could be causing problems. After that, toss the API. Get more accurate test kits. I would work on the algae first
I didn't think it was turf algae at first but the more I look at it the more I believe you are correct. UV Sterilizer is in the mail

OP
OP
AlexChef

AlexChef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like green turf but is there bubbles in the algea?
The more I look at the algae the more I think you are correct about it being Turf. I think like someone said before a combo of turf/hair/ & dinos. Thank you for all your help!

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The more I look at the algae the more I think you are correct about it being Turf. I think like someone said before a combo of turf/hair/ & dinos. Thank you for all your help!
If you can pull rocks out the best way to clean them is a water/peroxide bath/scrub with brush. Then rinse in fresh RODI water.

It will clean the rocks and not harm the beneficial bacteria in the rocks at all.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Remove the Dino first, as it can kill snails that eat it. Nutrients, blackout, UV, vibrant/dr. Tim’s. Hit it hard, all at once
+1 and in a small tank it should be easy to rip clean that bad boy.

Heres a link to @brandon429 thread about rip cleans and how beneficial they are and also how easy ;)

If you follow this you should get rid of your algea issue within the day.

some don't do it but I'm a believer in it as I've used it to combine tanks and clean a 32cube.

ttps://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-official-sand-rinse-thread-aka-one-against-many.230281/page-38

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WV had rocks similar to those shown on page 1 here under the full spec lights, agreed there are two options we currently use in the hobby on small reefs: instant cleaning, no delay where possible and then no deep cleaning, water work only, wait and delay but this method is very low work.

I hate to see our $ holed up for months, having to tell people who see the tank about the uglies/ inside we feel like we're showing an unideal reef but things w get better one day...that's why I gravitate towards rip it clean last month. WV sure did above. can't stand to see a reef undergoing eutrophication even though that's the specific succession they will go through when left to natural means. after we found out ten years ago that bacteria weren't as weak as people said, all kinds of crazy tank ripping has gone down.

*for this thread, a benefit of a complete clean is now your system is very hungry again...spot feed each lps now and sustain for two mos.

your reef is packed with nutrients, if you shake rocks off midwater a large cloud will emit from them.

same for sand. that makes us want to feed less/ bodybuilders are never feeding less on a positive nitrogen exercise plan. they'd go atrophic if they did that, reefs can have atrophy too

feed more often than you have been, and change more water than you have been, sustain this for 8 weeks exactly like a human exercise program above steady state, don't fail.

corals will grow and you'll be pouring lots of reef water down the drain, this is nano body building. The current stasis is not getting desired results, so everything posted here is totally opposite of the current stasis and it cannot have the same outcome, the means are different.

OP
OP
AlexChef

AlexChef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can pull rocks out the best way to clean them is a water/peroxide bath/scrub with brush. Then rinse in fresh RODI water.

It will clean the rocks and not harm the beneficial bacteria in the rocks at all.
unfortunately can't take the rocks out the all have something attached to them they why would get upset about. UV sanitizer on the way

OP
OP
AlexChef

AlexChef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a UV sterilizer? My tank isn't even 2 months old and bloom is gone. It started to get a little brown bloom. As soon as I flipped the switch on the 16watt UV it was gone. Knock on wood and hopefully stays that way.
Just got one in the mail, trying to figure out the best way to add it in the filter area

OP
OP
AlexChef

AlexChef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WV had rocks similar to those shown on page 1 here under the full spec lights, agreed there are two options we currently use in the hobby on small reefs: instant cleaning, no delay where possible and then no deep cleaning, water work only, wait and delay but this method is very low work.

I hate to see our $ holed up for months, having to tell people who see the tank about the uglies/ inside we feel like we're showing an unideal reef but things w get better one day...that's why I gravitate towards rip it clean last month. WV sure did above. can't stand to see a reef undergoing eutrophication even though that's the specific succession they will go through when left to natural means. after we found out ten years ago that bacteria weren't as weak as people said, all kinds of crazy tank ripping has gone down.

*for this thread, a benefit of a complete clean is now your system is very hungry again...spot feed each lps now and sustain for two mos.

your reef is packed with nutrients, if you shake rocks off midwater a large cloud will emit from them.

same for sand. that makes us want to feed less/ bodybuilders are never feeding less on a positive nitrogen exercise plan. they'd go atrophic if they did that, reefs can have atrophy too

feed more often than you have been, and change more water than you have been, sustain this for 8 weeks exactly like a human exercise program above steady state, don't fail.

corals will grow and you'll be pouring lots of reef water down the drain, this is nano body building. The current stasis is not getting desired results, so everything posted here is totally opposite of the current stasis and it cannot have the same outcome, the means are different.
I am doing a 5 gallon water change everyday and the volume of the tank is only ~10-11.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good. The key change up was direct spot feeding with frozen/ thawed reef food just before the changes, sustained for two months above norm to drive lps growth

Plus making rocks and sand clean like in that thread, having the system instantly back to new, all new water, then resume those good water change habits. It's changing away from current activity levels into a form of reef tank exercise

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, still take the rocks out.

they wont get mad, the thread above shows be sure and read the totality of what he did to command a reef tank like the final pic, that's what your tank needs. its simply changing a fixed scape into an unfixed one and liking the new one better, a mere choice.

an inaccessible scape is contributing a lot here, simply undo that plan for the greater reef. the sum total of directions applied arrive here, we have to reverse them all to have the rocks different and the lps reproducing with new buds off to the side of each head twice a year.

OP
OP
AlexChef

AlexChef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, still take the rocks out.

they wont get mad, the thread above shows be sure and read the totality of what he did to command a reef tank like the final pic, that's what your tank needs. its simply changing a fixed scape into an unfixed one and liking the new one better, a mere choice.

an inaccessible scape is contributing a lot here, simply undo that plan for the greater reef. the sum total of directions applied arrive here, we have to reverse them all to have the rocks different and the lps reproducing with new buds off to the side of each head twice a year.
The issue is anemones attached to the rocks, I drilled holes in the rock for the plugs so those can be moved, the 3 pieces of rock all have either RFA or BTA/ Yuma.

If those will not be harmed by a quick rip then this will be my next move

Last edited:
Back