OP
OP
sharkyahd

sharkyahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you dip the torches before adding them? I am about to add a torch to my tank and believe I will dip it using seachem reef dip as the iodine supposedly targets Brown Jelly.
Did a h202 dip and an iodine dip. He was healthy in the tank for a little over a week before he went rogue. Iodine dip helped first time around but I was stupid and changed my light schedule and I think that’s what stressed him out and it was down hill. Idk if he would’ve made it but I pulled him cause I can’t risk my other ones

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a h202 dip and an iodine dip. He was healthy in the tank for a little over a week before he went rogue. Iodine dip helped first time around but I was stupid and changed my light schedule and I think that’s what stressed him out and it was down hill. Idk if he would’ve made it but I pulled him cause I can’t risk my other ones
Makes sense

OP
OP
sharkyahd

sharkyahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are much happier in the tank with the new wave maker. The different wave modes has really brought them all out and they are having great PE!

OP
OP
sharkyahd

sharkyahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a torch and an octospawn last night. We’re really starting to fill out and the pieces are starting to finally settle. I think I’m ready to epoxy some of these together finally now that we’ve got the right flow. Gonna do my first feeding today. Happy reefing everyone!

OP
OP
sharkyahd

sharkyahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/29/2023 - devastating rock work collapse. No corals were lost thankfully. I took everything out of the tank and epoxied and superglued everything down as best I could in order to prevent future mistakes. I completely underestimated our puppy roughhousing and knocking over the two rocks I had.

1/30/2023 - 1/31/2023
Because the rocks were slightly angled different, I no longer have easy access to the coral without something getting very very mad. My octospawn is mad and won’t come out but I can see he’s still all there. Hopefully in a week he’ll forgive me. Torches receded significantly due to lack of light and flow. I came home from work, moved the euphyllia around and now everyone seems much happier in their respective spots. I completely underestimated how changing the flow ever so slightly could tick every one off so much. Still getting used to the Hygger mini functions and debating whether or not I can change from 40% power to 60% without blowing the polyps off. It’s been freezing in Colorado so I don’t know if that is also a concern.

2/1/2023
Everyone is back up and running a little better. Surprisingly these torches really like flow. They’re not quite blasted but the are dancing less like ballroom and more like rave. I’m happy to also report that they aren’t hurting each other being so close. I was worried about that not know if one was indo or Malaysian or Aussie. Luckily my 2 headed Malaysian 24k is holding its own against the 3 almost 4 headed flashlight. Also starting to doubt the gsp is actually gsp. It’s so thick and long lol. Octospawn unfortunately is still very mad but polyps are still there. Just receded. I think he’ll be fine. Acans are fluffier than ever. I’m really hoping for some growth. Thinking about doing AB+ or more Aminos.

Gonna finally set up the ATO today and look into dosing vs. water changes. I know water changes are tried and true but wanna see what’s out there.

Anyways, thanks for the continued support everyone! Happy reefing!

OP
OP
sharkyahd

sharkyahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the AI Prime we bought used has light it’s last cycle. Fortunately Amazon prime exists and we were able to get our hands on a Hyper Reef 30w with the sunrise/sunset dual channel timer. (Went with the 30 specifically for the timer) it was inexpensive and there is a learning curve but for the cost, and how small the tank is, I think it will suffice.

we are headed out of town so once we get back I will raise the light intensity slowly. Until then a friend will be over checking salinity and temperature. These cold fronts are no joke.

We might even be moving this setup into a less small but still mighty 15g AIO, but that’s yet to be decided since the coral are doing so well in this tank. the idea of fish has really grown on me, and it’s just hard to keep one in a 5 gallon.

OP
OP
sharkyahd

sharkyahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately over vacation our apartment dropped to 47 degrees and the tank dropped down to around 60 and we lost the octospawn. I assume our heater just wasn’t strong enough. 50W but only around 3 inches big. We have since upgraded to a Hygger 50W that is the entire height of the tank, and purchased an InkBird as a fail safe.

Ended up buying a K7 mini light on sale from their website for under $100 because I was worried about the Hyper Reef, but it has impressed me so far. Also received a 15g AIO for my birthday. Not sure if we’ll upgrade the 5g to the 15g yet since everyone is doing pretty good in the tank as of right now and we don’t want to rock the boat. Nice to start stocking extra equipment though JUST IN CASE something happens.

Reefstock Colorado is coming up in a few weeks and I’m excited to go! Anyways those are our updates this far.

happy reefing everyone!

OP
OP
sharkyahd

sharkyahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hyper Reef is growing too good, I haven’t dialed my light settings in too well apparently and have gotten diatoms and a couple hairy strands. I think my whites are far too low and definitely miss my AI set it and forget it. Maybe the K7 mini will be used sooner than I thought. Right now I have whites at 40 and blues at 60 and after some thread digging I’m seeing people only put whites at 5-10%. Tonight I will change whites down to 5% leave blues at 60% and cross my fingers.

Phosphates and Nitrates are low but I’m thinking (thanks to fragbox TV on YouTube) the nuisance algae has sucked it all up so it’s not reading different above the usual params I’ve kept.

update: did a huge manual removal and siphoned all the sand and toothbrushes all the rock and got as much as I could off. Changed 30% of the water before putting everyone where they’d be happy again. I debate moving everything to the 15g AIO daily, but can’t seem to pull the trigger just yet. I can see why people say picos are challenging now lol I wonder how I can eliminate dead spots in the tank because that seems to be an issue with the diatoms. I might also have to pull the trigger and just buy the fluval replacement parts even though shipping is… ridiculous. Alls well that ends well everyone.

happy reefing and good night!

Last edited:
OP
OP
sharkyahd

sharkyahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After much deliberation, we (my wife and I) have decided to upgrade to a still small, still mighty, 15g innovation marine all in one. Everything in the post will be updated accordingly. My hands were just too big and we wanted to expand our coral collection.

Through this process we also decided to keep one black occ. clown fish, a firefish, and in the future a watchman goby and pistol shrimp pair. Unfortunately during my short trip to the grocery store, the firefish jumped through the tiny crevice without a lid and our dog literally ate him.

OP
OP
sharkyahd

sharkyahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, early post full of frustration so bare with me.

came home Sunday with
- 1 Black Ocellaris
- 1 Firefish
- 1 Rock Flower Nem
- 2 Sexy Shrimp

Watched the clownfish literally eat a shrimp and in the move (tank to tank) the other disappeared. Now he already seems to taken a liking to the FAR BACK CORNER of the tank… Where we’ll never see him.

firefish magically jumped up out of nowhere so he’s back in play. We apologized profusely to Goose for accepting his false confession, he’s now allowed back in the office- turned fish room. Firefish is currently hiding under Acan island but alive so I’m cool with it.

rock nem. FLEW AROUND. so of course he got caught in my mini Hygger wave maker. Thank goodness I found him before he nuked the tank. But he’s a goner.

so we’re literally left with one clown and one firefish. Both of whom I’m now constantly worried about dying… I knew there was a reason I only did coral.

RIP
81FD83E7-7710-4CD5-9036-6A38BD534FFC.jpeg

OP
OP
sharkyahd

sharkyahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the big move from 5g to 15g, was scrubing off some algae from my 24k torch, and due to my own stupidity got WAY too close to the polyps. I treated with lugol's and moved him lower in the tank, and I'm gonna hope and pray he makes it.

on a lighter not, picked up a nice bubble tip anemone, could be rose tip, could be a rainbow, Chris the owner of ReefKoi, and I couldnt really tell as it is SO small (less than half an inch). He has some beautiful rainbow bubble tips but they were way too big for the 15g. Its currently in a makeshift nem container, because we just lost that RFA to a wave maker and I'm not risking it.

OP
OP
sharkyahd

sharkyahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torch is literally hanging on by a polyp unfortunately. Another expensive mistake I won’t make twice. Will be removing from stock list for now. Weather willing I will be getting a nice highlighter green torch and a radioactive hammer as well as a new acan delivered tonight. Happy reefing everyone.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no brown jelly on dying torch correct ?

OP
OP
sharkyahd

sharkyahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got to link up with my brother @N1tew0lf1212 and his wife today at REEFSTOCK, and he gave me a beautiful new ham. Got some great pieces today and the tank is really filling out!
1C3578FB-1E23-46F9-BFAA-50E56D4A72C0.jpeg
B06EC3D7-CEC2-4587-999B-AF3195D94C44.jpeg
C26C81C2-35F0-4707-9B04-AF3AED46ED5D.jpeg
08353D02-58BC-4726-BBE9-E7F018838A1E.jpeg
96897217-EFF8-4784-AD60-7B37D3733C96.jpeg

88A61474-524E-4E96-86BD-F0F442497032.jpeg

diatoms finally went away and firefish is out and about even with me there.
we also added Kronk the conch.
05E56119-2D80-4E30-BF6A-5CD7D4B07852.jpeg

1B8D15D3-9D8A-4283-86E8-13FBC30BEEF1.jpeg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 112 74.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back