Small Tangs in Small Tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many fish to chose from... what is it about tangs that are so desirable? I find them to be boring when small. Their personalities seem much more developed when larger which means a monster sized tank for it. I have not owned one in 20 years.

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Yellow Tang in my Reefer170 - he was bought small, has suitable tank mates, is brightly coloured, is well fed and hasn’t grown hugely. I’ve had him a year so far and if I have him another 6-12 months I’ll be pleased - I know I’ll have to relocate him before he gets too big. I don’t see a problem - as I’ve personally outgrown homes I’ve moved. There are plenty of stories of tanks that are what would be deemed appropriate but where tank mates and husbandry are up for debate. I consider my Tang is lucky to be treated like royalty.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it gets too big you can always turn it into a lightly fried fish fillet...

Another option would be to get a small Wrasse like a Lubbock's or McCoskers...they will add a lot of color and movement while being disease resistant.

For algae they have blennies which have enormous personalities and tuxedo urchins.

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Yellow Tang in my Reefer170 - he was bought small, has suitable tank mates, is brightly coloured, is well fed and hasn’t grown hugely. I’ve had him a year so far and if I have him another 6-12 months I’ll be pleased - I know I’ll have to relocate him before he gets too big. I don’t see a problem - as I’ve personally outgrown homes I’ve moved. There are plenty of stories of tanks that are what would be deemed appropriate but where tank mates and husbandry are up for debate. I consider my Tang is lucky to be treated like royalty.
I’ll let it know

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

poor photo but shows his great colour, size and health I think

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the case
How so?

If we had two identical yellow tangs, yours in your 40 gallon that only gets 4 inches and mine in my 400 gallon gets to 7 inches, both in 2 years, both in a similar feeding pattern....what ones likely to be the more healthily viewed?

These animals all grow to a certain size give or take an inch ish... but if there’s a 3 inch difference in the same time frame from the same size then something is stunting it, that’s logic....

Fish don’t smile, none of us can say a fish is healthy (inside) but growth is a very big indicator for health in all aspects of living organisms.

Last edited:

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How so?

If we had two identical yellow tangs, yours in your 40 gallon that only gets 4 inches and mine in my 400 gallon gets to 7 inches, both in 2 years, both in a similar feeding pattern....what ones likely to be the more healthily viewed?

These animals all grow to a certain size give or take an inch ish... but if there’s a 3 inch difference in the same time frame from the same size then something is stunting it, that’s logic....

Fish don’t smile, none of us can say a fish is healthy (inside) but growth is a very big indicator for health in all aspects of living organisms.
Growth is an indicator but so is display. I’m sure your fish is great - well done.

Ulm_nano_diybudgetreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually liked the closet, peace and quiet, LETS GET A TANG! Jk but I did like the closet better
When r u planning to come out of the closet??? ;Joyful;Joyful;Joyful
U really know how to stir up people... lol

As I'm late to this thread, I must say very entertaining to read.

I think we all know the answer or advice that will be provided for this recurring question. The interesting thing is that it gets asked repeatedly as if a different answer is expected or some new research has proven otherwise.

And just to add fuel to the fire, is there any chance R2R could possibly create a Tang Police badge... lol.
Sorry all, u just got to take this topic lightheartedly a bit as majority of hobbiests are aware of what they are askimg, and will do what they will regardless. Besides you can always know when the question is from a new reefer who genuinely doesn't know as the answer satisfies after 1 or 2 replies.

Looking forward to the next time the question arises... hope everyone is having a great day :cool:

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve kept fish for years and if they are unhappy they let you know - is a Tang the only fish that glows, is active etc if they are unhealthy? I must just be lucky to have a fish that swims about, boldly yellow with his fins extended when, by accounts, there must be something major wrong with him. Perhaps there’s an element that not all tangs are the same - in the same way that not all men reach 6 foot tall or 15 stone - perhaps generalisations don’t always apply?

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve kept fish for years and if they are unhappy they let you know - is a Tang the only fish that glows, is active etc if they are unhealthy? I must just be lucky to have a fish that swims about, boldly yellow with his fins extended when, by accounts, there must be something major wrong with him.
Growth is important factor in health. In fact probably a way better indicator than the subjective measures you have brought up. Other than growth the only better indicator of unstressed healthy fish, I can think of, is spawning. It is well documented that fish growth can be stunted by improperly small living quarters. This stunting can cause long term health issues which may not be obvious until far too late.

Perhaps there’s an element that not all tangs are the same - in the same way that not all men reach 6 foot tall or 15 stone - perhaps generalisations don’t always apply?

if only there were research predicting the expected size range of of yellow tangs through their life in the wild.
F7B567E1-584D-4BD0-9EF8-CF8D1FF1F4F2.jpeg

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As might be expected the Tang police perspective has been pretty dominant in this thread.

If fish could think, I am sure all Tangs would be thinking "holy crap this is a tiny box I'm trapped in". I dont think it would be only the ones in 40 breeders. The Tangs in 300g tanks would be swimming around all day thinking "holy crap tiny box holy crap tiny box" just like the ones in a 40b. Compared to the ocean, they're all tiny boxes.

Fortunately, fish are really, really not smart and don't have an internal dialogue like that. I think it would be a mistake to describe anything happening in their brains as "thinking". From a behavioral perspective, Tangs in my 40b and 75g show all the same normal behaviors I see in Tangs in nature or in larger tanks.

Obviously, pick your fish size accordingly, but as far as I can see the whole concern over Tangs in small tanks is based on imagination. Tangs (and Rabbitfish) provide valuable grazing services that I cant find duplicated in smaller fish. They're workers, providing needed functions, and these functions keep them well fed and fat. I fail to see the problem.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growth is an indicator but so is display. I’m sure your fish is great - well done.
I honestly have no idea what you mean by display? I’m guessing because it’s still brightly coloured and swims about its healthy? I think you are missing my point, and took it the wrong way.

It’s very well documented that certain Species reach certain sizes almost always hence they are classed as that size species. If someone reaches half that size in an adequate timeframe, somethings wrong.

My fish are great, thank you

As might be expected the Tang police perspective has been pretty dominant in this thread.

If fish could think, I am sure all Tangs would be thinking "holy crap this is a tiny box I'm trapped in". I dont think it would be only the ones in 40 breeders. The Tangs in 300g tanks would be swimming around all day thinking "holy crap tiny box holy crap tiny box" just like the ones in a 40b. Compared to the ocean, they're all tiny boxes.

Fortunately, fish are really, really not smart and don't have an internal dialogue like that. I think it would be a mistake to describe anything happening in their brains as "thinking". From a behavioral perspective, Tangs in my 40b and 75g show all the same normal behaviors I see in Tangs in nature or in larger tanks.

Obviously, pick your fish size accordingly, but as far as I can see the whole concern over Tangs in small tanks is based on imagination. Tangs (and Rabbitfish) provide valuable grazing services that I cant find duplicated in smaller fish. They're workers, providing needed functions, and these functions keep them well fed and fat. I fail to see the problem.
It’s not tang police in the slightest but comments like that just make you realise we aren’t aloud to voice an opinion on tank sizes relevant to species which is actually about 50% of success in this hobby.

Yes it’s true taking any fish from the ocean to a box is cruel, but it’s more cruel to then stuff it in a box that cramps it’s growth compared to one that just slows it. Lesser of two evils is it not? It’s just common sense that the larger tank for the larger species is the way to do it, hence they are general rules of thumb and not laws.

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leading up to my buying I read many articles, written by big tank owners too, stating that Yellow Tangs should grow an inch a year - one I read had had the fish for over 7 years so this ‘opinion’ seems to hold some validity. I’m sure there are people with a different ‘opinion’ - but they are just that. Therefore, if a fish is growing in that vein then I can’t see the problem of keeping it circa 18 months. I wouldn’t put a 7 inch Tang in my tank and I’m sure if I did it would be most unhealthy - but buying small and keeping it in its infant period seems a different proposition. I remain absolutely content that the bright yellow, and general lively demeanour and health, of the fish, is evidence of no wrong doing and, indeed, Is actually testament of how well he is being looked after.

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
omg... lol. I just needed a question answered and we have 7 pages of... fun. I see on literally other forums saying 'If you can rehome it later, go for it,' now, I don't have tang but they also came up with good reasons, A small 2" tang has more room in a 40 than a foot long (lol..I feel like subway.) tang in a 6 foot. If a tang grew for all its life in a 6 foot, to the tang the space would be getting smaller and smaller, also lets look up sources of success, inapproiate Reefer managed to do it.
Puff Daddy Reef managed to do it

So why can't I? ;)
Also IA did a blue tang in a 40g and PDR did a purple tang in a 20.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
omg... lol. I just needed a question answered and we have 7 pages of... fun. I see on literally other forums saying 'If you can rehome it later, go for it,' now, I don't have tang but they also came up with good reasons, A small 2" tang has more room in a 40 than a foot long (lol..I feel like subway.) tang in a 6 foot. If a tang grew for all its life in a 6 foot, to the tang the space would be getting smaller and smaller, also lets look up sources of success, inapproiate Reefer managed to do it.
Puff Daddy Reef managed to do it

So why can't I? ;)
Also IA did a blue tang in a 40g and PDR did a purple tang in a 20.
I think most long term hobbyists don't view rehoming fish as they grow as a means of sustainability.

Your recent post doesn't suggest that you were seeking "best practices" as much as you were looking for confirmation for putting a tang in a small tank.

I'd like to know how the first conversation went when the group of people decided that 6' will be the suggested size. Because I understand the debate for "what makes an 8' tank any better than a 4' when you pull them out of the ocean?" Was it debated? Or did people take the word of a respected Reefer? Does the 6' rule of thumb allow people to feel comfortable and justify their decision to put a tang in their tank?

I don't know, I don't really have an opinion except that if I see a large tang in a small tank, I immediately think that's a poor decision. But was I conditioned to think that way?

It's your tank, do what you want, but you can't act surprised when people call you out on it.

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
And just to add fuel to the fire, is there any chance R2R could possibly create a Tang Police badge... lol.

I know you are kidding but please, no. It is the first shot fired when people disagree. I find it rather disrespectful. But as I said - I saw the "lol" so know what you mean.

Looking forward to the next time the question arises... hope everyone is having a great day :cool:

As you said - it does get asked a lot. Search feature hear works amazingly well but maybe once, just that one time, the answer will be what I'm looking for.

As a side note I was listening to @Thales skimate podcast and towards the end of episode 13 they got into a little banter about this, corals, and trade. Possibly guests too. But in any case I really like the way it went down such that Rich sort of said look, I am just tired of fighting. And not his words, but another well known hobbyist and fish collector I talk to said something similar such that:

Fish are not a commodity

Sort of fits with the tang question that comes up. We fight about it. We are tired of it. We don't agree. And at the end of the day all that matters is that we treat the fish similar to any other pet we might own be it a rat, snake, bird, or fish. It isn't a commodity. And if we do that then we will provide the best possible care regardless of what size tank it is in.

That answer shouldn't draw any snide tang police pushback from those who disagree.

Edit: Oh yes, forgot to add hope you have an amazing day as well! Stay safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back