Snail identification

Dan K.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, new to this site. Anyone know if this is the dreaded cone snail? Purchased 3 conch the other day, 2 of which i am certain of.

20210118_172918.jpg 20210118_120518.jpg 20210118_172916.jpg 20210118_120119.jpg

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely a sand borrowing snail. Almost looks like a Nassarius snail but the shell is different. Someone will chime in with some help!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Whelk snail, very similar to nassarius.
Theyre front tube is a giveaway as it has tattoo looking markings.
With Whelks look very similar to Nassarius, they are a predatory group that primarily eat clams but will often eat other snails as well especially astrea, trochus and cerith snails. Not recommended for the reef tank. Whelks act like snails, and tend to be on the glass or rockwork. They will move across the sand when necessary, but never submerge themselves beneath the surface of the sand. Their main activity can be observed at night by flashlight, as they are nocturnal creatures.

OP
OP
Dan K.

Dan K.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Whelks look very similar to Nassarius, they are a predatory group that primarily eat clams but will often eat other snails as well especially astrea, trochus and cerith snails. Not recommended for the reef tank. Whelks act like snails, and tend to be on the glass or rockwork. They will move across the sand when necessary, but never submerge themselves beneath the surface of the sand. Their main activity can be observed at night by flashlight, as they are nocturnal creatures.
Thanks for your reply, however this guy buried himself as soon as i originally put him in. I returned him to the lfs and noticed the tank he came from did have a lot of empty shells in the aqurium. I tried putting mysis in front of him to see if his "needle" would stick out which it didnt. Either way i felt uneasy with it.

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what species but I’m quite confident that shell is from the cone snail group unless theres a family of like shaped whelks I don’t know about. I don’t think whelks can have a shell with such a flat end like that. I believe the tube of the cone snails can also bear markings as described.

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shell looks cery similar to Californiconus californiconus
Be careful when removing, last I checked all cone snails bear some tyoe of modified of harpoon tooth.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I looked at this snail on my PC screen and although represents the whelk may be closer to the California cone snail which has the same habit of the whelk eating other snails and clam
Also a no-keeper

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back