Snails keep dying. Dinos? Params? Something else?

sugarsean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had trouble keeping some snails alive for very long. Cerith and Nassarius seem to survive long term, however Astrea, Trochus, and Turbos seem to not do well. There is PLENTY of algae to eat. I suspect ingesting Dino toxins may be the cause, but I’d value a second opinion before I buy a microscope to diagnose and treat the issue.

Most recently I purchased a chestnut turbo from seahorsesavvy and it is struggling after <2 weeks. Acclimated per instructions (temp only), though I have drip acclimated other snails from LFS and they have not been more successful.

Corals(soft, lps, sps), fish, and other inverts are thriving, some zoas seem to thrive and then melt at some point and have a green film on them.

Parameters as follows:
Salinity: 35ppt (Milwaukee refractometer and ATC manual refractometer)
Temp: 77.5-78
PH: 8.3
Alk: 7.6 ( TM All-for-reef ~11mL/day spread throughout the day dosed every two hours)
PO4: .13
NO3: 0 (I have dosed in the past, but am having issues with hair algae)
Ca: 481
Mg: ? I don’t have a test kit for this

I’ve done triton ICP tests in the past and all params are within range, but Iodine was a little low and Fe was a little elevated. I could not find the source of the Iron and have read this is likely not harmful and often misrepresented by ICP tests. I tested Iodine with the Red Sea iodine pro kit and it appears normal.

More about my setup:
- 1.2 years old
- 41gal water volume
- RODI auto-topoff, sal is stable
- refugium with chaeto, Pom Pom, seachem matrix
- Skimmer on 24/7
- dosing: TM All-for-reef ~11mL/day spread throughout the day dosed every two hours
- Tropic Marin pro salt
- 12% water change every 2 weeks or so
- Radion G5 pro
- dose 15mL phytoplankton most days
- feed frozen mixed food from lfs
- sometimes reef roids, but sparingly
- sometimes microbacter7
- reactor with rox carbon

Inhabitants:
- two oscillaris clowns
- royal gramma
- court jester goby
- yellow clown goby
- sailfish blenny
- black belly eviota goby
- scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp
- pistol shrimp
- two small urchins
- sand sifting starfish
- banded serpent starfish
- blue leg hermits
- cerith, nassarius, astrea, trochus, turbo snails
- sand sifting conch

Corals: acans, blastos, zoas (some struggling), mushrooms, ricordias, Xenia, astreopora, montipora, cyphastrea, candy cane, toadstool leather, Acropora, stylophora, pocilopora, frogspawn, GSP. Almost all growing like wildfire.

Dealing with quite a bit of hair algae and some algae on the sand that I am concerned may be Dinos. The green stuff on the sand seems to disappear when lights are off, but I’ve tried UV and it does not diminish visibly during the day. Algae really became a problem after I overused GFO once several months ago (followed the directions, but they way over prescribed). I have since stopped using it.

If you’ve made it this far, thank you! Attached are two pictures of the latest snail, clearly struggling, and multiple of the algae problems. I would so very much appreciate any insight into my snail (and algae) problems!

5B2D7A92-E068-43D5-A869-6E21C2C40D89.jpeg 9D4E72B7-8B38-4BF1-B787-11B8CC776644.jpeg 1BEF8C6F-272D-4F44-8890-CFC94A9E49F2.jpeg C6753F92-DDD0-4DD1-9074-A7C811AC20F4.jpeg ECD6FACC-0751-4E7F-8235-AD4E5703779B.jpeg 74C4CE9E-A763-47E2-B395-7975AF1609AB.jpeg 5A12C31A-A687-4280-AFD4-AFC845E4D664.jpeg 545C03CE-7A79-482D-8ABB-FE67C3BB5516.jpeg 7EF8FCF2-5372-4347-9869-5BFD91A9D4CB.jpeg

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed any predation by the hermit crabs? I used to catch them riding on Astreas. They'ed turn them over and kill them. Nasty little buggers.

OP
OP
S

sugarsean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed any predation by the hermit crabs? I used to catch them riding on Astreas. They'ed turn them over and kill them. Nasty little buggers.
I haven’t. They seem to struggle and be left alone by the hermits until they are completely dead.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be helpful to check magnesium. I think it can cause issues when very high. I doubt its that high but its something to think about.

kdsmithey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping others have some thoughts on this. My situation is nearly identical, and I am at a loss. My snails are fine for several months, but eventually die (turbo and bumblebee). Definitely not due to hermit crabs. I also have concern of dinos that look very similar to the pics you posted.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping others have some thoughts on this. My situation is nearly identical, and I am at a loss. My snails are fine for several months, but eventually die (turbo and bumblebee). Definitely not due to hermit crabs. I also have concern of dinos that look very similar to the pics you posted.
An awful lot of Turbos sold here are from the pacific coast of Mexico from much colder waters. They can't tolerate our reef tank temperatures.

kdsmithey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An awful lot of Turbos sold here are from the pacific coast of Mexico from much colder waters. They can't tolerate our reef tank temperatures.
May be a dumb question, but can ingesting dinos be killing them? It’s wild that I have no issues keeping fish, anemones, and simple corals, yet can’t keep snails alive lol

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be a dumb question, but can ingesting dinos be killing them? It’s wild that I have no issues keeping fish, anemones, and simple corals, yet can’t keep snails alive lol
No such thing as a dumb question. ;) Yep in the proper concentrations the toxins can overwhelm snails. Siphoning out the really nasty areas of sand with the Dinos is a pretty common tactic that avoids chemicals.

Pocky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sugarsean and kdsmithey, did either of you ever solve your snail problem? I've had the same problem for years as well. I used to be able to keep turbo and trochus snails and grew a turbo snail to the size of a golf ball over 5 years. This turbo even lived through a tank crash when my tank got to over 90 degrees and most everything else died. However, something happened in 2019 that killed my giant turbo, tuxedo urchin, and trochus snails (I had them all for years and they all died around the same time) and I've never been able to keep any of those 3 creatures since. I've tried many times thinking the issue resolved with many water changes but the new additions always died within a month. And no, it is not hermits killing them. They eat voraciously when they get into my tank for a couple days, then they slow down and stop moving until they die. All other corals, fish, shrimp, conches, and nassarius snails have no issues.

I started a new 210 gallon tank recently and added a few snails. The trochus seems to be doing ok but the 3 turbos I added look to be struggling within a week. Since I used freshly made saltwater and the new tank is not sharing any equipment so far, I am starting to think it has something to do with my RODI water although I've had it ATI tested several times, and there were no metals found. Copper read 0. My next experiment may be to get saltwater from my LFS and see if the turbos can live in that water in a small hospital tank vs. the water I'm making at home. I really want to solve this mystery!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back