Snowflake Eel And Anemone BFF???

CaseyNYC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!! We are in our first year of building a reef / marine Tank. We currently have a 95 gallon corner tank with about 120 lbs of live rock, a tomato clown fish living in her medium bubble tip anemone, a maroon clownfish, a 3 striped damselfish, (2) domino damselfish, a coral beauty, a yellow watchman goby, a gorgeous 6 inch snowflake eel and one other 2 inch bubble tip anemone....
well, the snowflake eel is the newest addition to our display tank.. Hes been doing well, eating, hiding, etc..... I suddenly have noticed him mostly sitting under a rock towards the front of the tank that is occupied by an anemone. The anemone is in the cave area of the rock and the eel is chilling next to him, completely wrapped in his tentacles and just poking his head out of the anemone... The anemone isn’t bothered by him clearly because he isn’t closing up or doing anything that shows stress or unhappiness.
Is this normal? Don’t anemone shock or sting the eels? I’m confused by this..... is it safe to let them hang out together this closely?
(pictures attached)

D3BD8113-1816-42CC-807C-2CAD7B83B1E3.jpeg 5EF1E654-E754-4495-9C34-EFE38B1054FA.jpeg E300D7A5-8F8C-49D6-BFC9-7D6FB6A36ABC.jpeg 67FEB921-AA60-4727-8B56-352ACE7E38EB.jpeg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how normal it is but they will work it out. The sting likely wouldn't be deadly and if bothered the eel would learn to stay away. The eel does need a spot where they can tuck away with their head poking out, so maybe provide other spots pleasing for the eel. I'm not as familar with anemone's but don't they move, so if the eel was really bothering it, it would likely close up or move, right.

OP
OP
CaseyNYC

CaseyNYC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how normal it is but they will work it out. The sting likely wouldn't be deadly and if bothered the eel would learn to stay away. The eel does need a spot where they can tuck away with their head poking out, so maybe provide other spots pleasing for the eel. I'm not as familar with anemone's but don't they move, so if the eel was really bothering it, it would likely close up or move, right.
Yes. He has many spots in the tank, under rocks that he he has been using up until now where he rests and pops his head out. He just started using the spot occupied by the anemone. And yes the anemone moves or closes up and shrinks if he’s unhappy or bothered. And he hasn’t shown signs of irritation or moved away so I’m guessing he’s not bothered by the eel. I’m just scared the eel may go rouge and eat the anemone. I have heard horror stories by some eel owners.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? Also, that eel is going to end up eating a lot of the fish you have in there, at six inches, its already getting close to being big enough to eat the watchman. Also, that’s a Condylactis anemone not a bubble tip, and the fact that it’s hiding in a cave is concerning, Condy’s need a lot of light and they generally only shy away from the light when they’re stressed or in poor water quality (it doesn’t look unhealthy, but the fact that its hiding could be a red flag).

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. He has many spots in the tank, under rocks that he he has been using up until now where he rests and pops his head out. He just started using the spot occupied by the anemone. And yes the anemone moves or closes up and shrinks if he’s unhappy or bothered. And he hasn’t shown signs of irritation or moved away so I’m guessing he’s not bothered by the eel. I’m just scared the eel may go rouge and eat the anemone. I have heard horror stories by some eel owners.

That's not going to happen, I don't believe an eel would eat an anemone. Don't believe everything you read and there is always contributing factors to horror stories.

Back