Snowflake Eel Reef Tank Build

oceanleaf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have been reading posts on the forum for a while but have never posted anything, but I think it's time for a build thread!
I have been in the saltwater aquarium hobby for over five years now.
When I got into the hobby, I got a small snowflake moray eel that I kept in a ten-gallon tank with only live rocks and a bit of macroalgae but no corals.
The eel have been doing really well in my home aquarium and I kept upgrading my aquarium from 10 gallon to 20 gallon and now 40 gallon.
Now that the tank is quite big, I decided to start keeping corals and make the aquarium as a whole more colorful.

snowflake_progress.PNG

I decided to go with a Cobalt C-VUE40 All-in-one aquarium and the accompanying stand for the simplicity of the AIO system.
I really like motions in the aquarium, so I want a softies and LPS dominated tank.
The tank has pretty dense rockwork with the goal that the eel can always hide its entire body behind the rockwork if it chooses to do so.
After about a year after adding the first coral, here is the full tank shot of the display. In this shot, the eel is hiding behind the rockwork. It usually comes out in the morning when I regularly feed and in the evening when the species is naturally more active. It sometimes poke its head out during the day if it feels curious.
The eel is very well-behaved. When introduced to a new tank, it will take sometimes to do its own aquascaping, digging sand and moving rocks a bit. But after it settles, it rarely messes with the corals and I have no trouble keeping the corals with the eel at all if I glue corals to rocks very strongly.

fts_oct2021.PNG

Here is the list of the main equipment
Lighting:
Fluval Marine Spectrum 3.0 36"
Filtration:
1. Bubble Magus QQ2 Internal Protein Skimmer
2. Tunze 9004.000 Comline DOC Skimmer
3. BRS Mini Media Reactor filled with ROX carbon and GFO
Flow:
1. Built-in cobalt return pumps (x2); came with the AIO
2. Jebao MW10 wavemaker
3. hygger Mini Wave Maker

Note that the built-in cobalt return pumps produce linear flow that is too strong for my liking, so I modified the return outlets by adding an additional duckbill to each outlet (connected by 3D-printed Y connectors). This modification really reduces strength of the linear flow, and the flow in the main tank is mostly handled by the two wavemakers that can do pulsing motion.
return_modification.PNG

Another important aspect of a snowflake eel tank is the lid to prevent the eel from escaping. I found that the lid that Cobalt sells is quite expensive and also seems pretty heavy, so I decided to make my own lid from acrylic sheets. I cut the sheets to the dimension of the main display with one piece about 1/3 the length of the display and the other 2/3. Then, I drilled holes to attach 3D-printed handles on them so that they can be easily removed during maintenance.

1635113965386.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
oceanleaf

oceanleaf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Other additional equipment includes a DIY controller based on an ESP32 board with a 3D printed box. The controller keeps track of the aquarium temperature and also control a small water pump for an auto-top-off. The water level detection is done with a simple float switch.
I use a small (~0.8 gallon) fish box as my ATO reservoir.
I top-off with saturated limewater, which helps keep pH up and replenish calcium and alkalinity.

The main compartment in the back panel is used as a mini refugium.
Essentially, I just filled it with Codium macroalgae and built two simple LED lights for illumination. I runs the light on reverse cycle to help stabilize the diurnal pH swing and to help reduce nutrients as well.

aio_compartment.PNG

For husbandry, I really enjoy feeding. I think it's the most fun part of this hobby, so I'm a very heavy feeder. I feed the snowflake eel and corals every other day, which is about 2-3 times a week; except for a tubastrea colony, which I feed nightly.
I feed the eel with chopped shrimps and freeze dried jumbo krills supplemented with Selcon.
For the LPS corals, I feed with a mixture of BRS golden pearl, Brightwell Reef Blizzard S and some frozen food, such as frozen copepods.
I also does Red Sea Reef Energy AB+ daily at half recommended dose.
This is why I run two skimmers and also a refugium to make sure that the nutrient is in check. I also do carbon dosing with ethanol and add GFO to the media reactor. With all these nutrient exports, the nutrients are at around 5ppm nitrate and 0.1ppm phosphate.
I still have green hair algae at various places of the tank, but it doesn't reach a plague level.

nathanmaurer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! I have a snowflake as well and like your idea of the custom lid. May have to look into updating mine to something similar.

Thanks for posting!

OP
OP
oceanleaf

oceanleaf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome stuff OP!!!

Thanks!

Very nice! I have a snowflake as well and like your idea of the custom lid. May have to look into updating mine to something similar.

Thanks for posting!

I really like acrylic lids because they are so much light than glass and can control evaporation well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back