• good luck

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters

Castaway6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me just start by saying what you are about to see might be graphic to some and might cause nightmares/ptsd from others. Long neglected, but heavily fed, what was once a flourishing tropical reef in a box has now turned into...well what looks to be a mix between hades' underworld and a science experiment gone wrong. We have all heard of the pulsing xenia takeovers, and have long-feared the aiptasia outbreak stories. I admit I am one of the few who has cowardly run away and never looked back (college)..
But when danger calls there is always a hero there to step up to the plate. This hero was the unfortunate recipient of my 2 clownfish, yw goby, and xenia Island (what I believed would be an island.) Side note: he has never owned saltwater or really any fish without me around(he is a newb) but he was willing to take over all necessary responsibilities and duties; except maintenence, so basically feeding and ensuring equipment functionality. I warned him about the possibilities, though he accepted them and quickly came to welcome the beautiful glass anemone-in his eyes. I offered some advice, target feed with pellets (his regimen included one whole frozen cube dropped in about once a day, with the occasional 2-3 day fast), sell the rock and start new, even advised him to check out peppermint shrimps.. though all the advice seemed to arrive with little time to adjust. Before we know it aips slowly hopped from rock to rock, xenia took over the glass due to lack of real estate, aips indulged in supplements to outgrow the xenia to reach their full potential. Nevertheless, my father refused to back down. Would you discard the entire loaf of bread just because you saw a spot of mold? Exactly, me too. Pops on the other hand was fed leftovers from the trash from Ma half his life, he trained to overcome anything life threw at him. Including sea weeds. He saw potential in the aiptasia. He knew there was a chance to really make this tank flourish. He knew what he was doing and this was his accomplishment.
So without further ado, I present to you about 1 and half years worth of vacation meals, RO top off and the occasional filter floss exchange. (Don't let anyone tell you you need to do water changes, use fancy equipment, change filter media, or even look at the tank so long as you have the undestructable, ever-lasting and always hungry nutrient export xenia, a touch of aiptasia to start, and the motivation of a hard working man who has enough **** to deal with)
Warning: graphic content that may be unsettling to some viewers. Also a potential world record (i believe trochus) snail. View at your own risk.

*seriously though, what would you do? Have you ever seen something like this? Surely nothing could eat all that even if it wanted to?? Start new or accept the new reality and just try to keep it clean-cut? Is it even fish safe now??
I have plenty rock to start new but my dad genuinely enjoys the movement and look of the tank.

Hope you enjoy and appreciate any feedback :)
Happy weedi-reefing!

20200830_150231.jpg 20200830_150236.jpg 20200830_150244.jpg 20200830_150300.jpg 20200830_162406.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me just start by saying what you are about to see might be graphic to some and might cause nightmares/ptsd from others. Long neglected, but heavily fed, what was once a flourishing tropical reef in a box has now turned into...well what looks to be a mix between hades' underworld and a science experiment gone wrong. We have all heard of the pulsing xenia takeovers, and have long-feared the aiptasia outbreak stories. I admit I am one of the few who has cowardly run away and never looked back (college)..
But when danger calls there is always a hero there to step up to the plate. This hero was the unfortunate recipient of my 2 clownfish, yw goby, and xenia Island (what I believed would be an island.) Side note: he has never owned saltwater or really any fish without me around(he is a newb) but he was willing to take over all necessary responsibilities and duties; except maintenence, so basically feeding and ensuring equipment functionality. I warned him about the possibilities, though he accepted them and quickly came to welcome the beautiful glass anemone-in his eyes. I offered some advice, target feed with pellets (his regimen included one whole frozen cube dropped in about once a day, with the occasional 2-3 day fast), sell the rock and start new, even advised him to check out peppermint shrimps.. though all the advice seemed to arrive with little time to adjust. Before we know it aips slowly hopped from rock to rock, xenia took over the glass due to lack of real estate, aips indulged in supplements to outgrow the xenia to reach their full potential. Nevertheless, my father refused to back down. Would you discard the entire loaf of bread just because you saw a spot of mold? Exactly, me too. Pops on the other hand was fed leftovers from the trash from Ma half his life, he trained to overcome anything life threw at him. Including sea weeds. He saw potential in the aiptasia. He knew there was a chance to really make this tank flourish. He knew what he was doing and this was his accomplishment.
So without further ado, I present to you about 1 and half years worth of vacation meals, RO top off and the occasional filter floss exchange. (Don't let anyone tell you you need to do water changes, use fancy equipment, change filter media, or even look at the tank so long as you have the undestructable, ever-lasting and always hungry nutrient export xenia, a touch of aiptasia to start, and the motivation of a hard working man who has enough **** to deal with)
Warning: graphic content that may be unsettling to some viewers. Also a potential world record (i believe trochus) snail. View at your own risk.

*seriously though, what would you do? Have you ever seen something like this? Surely nothing could eat all that even if it wanted to?? Start new or accept the new reality and just try to keep it clean-cut? Is it even fish safe now??
I have plenty rock to start new but my dad genuinely enjoys the movement and look of the tank.

Hope you enjoy and appreciate any feedback :)
Happy weedi-reefing!

20200830_150231.jpg 20200830_150236.jpg 20200830_150244.jpg 20200830_150300.jpg 20200830_162406.jpg
By chance can we see the glory under whites

OP
OP
Castaway6

Castaway6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is when I moved and took my clowns and nicer coral pieces, couldn't capture the goby so he kept it and got those 2 clown beauts shortly after.
Here you see the added rock on the left which was a mistake and the midst of the xenia takeover. This is when I realized I was too late.

Screenshot_20190804-171102_Snapchat.jpg

OP
OP
Castaway6

Castaway6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fwiw, the gsp rock which is in the back right is what introduced the aiptasia and slowly took over the right side

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Still dont get it - are you trying to fix your dads tank - or your tank? In either case - if you dad likes his tank - leave it the way it is - if not - take out the rock - and brush it with a metal brush - removing the Xenia and aiptasia - under fresh running water - this will not affect the bacteria in the rock - in fact - when I had an outbreak of another pest soft coral (cant remember the name) - I just put the rock in fresh water and brushed carefully all of the surfaces - then rinsed in the sink - doing it rock by rock - not all at once. The whole process per rock took about 5 minutes - but the stuff never recurred. I also had a recent outbreak of aiptasia - and have no clue from where it came - since nothing new was added for months - I bought several berghia nudibranchs, a filefish, a copper band and 2 peppermint shrimp. None of them have touched the aiptasia (except that several are dying - suggesting the berghia are doing their job) - there are certainly no new outcroppings. Good luck though - You can also sometimes just peel Xenia off rock - without doing anything more.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Xenia can make a beautiful setting
For the aptasia- simplify it - get yourself a kleini butterfly which is pretty, friendly, eats aptasia like candy, eats all dry and frozen food once aptasia is gone and does not bother corals ...........,
And under $30

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your dad like the way it is, why mess with it? Xenia and aptasia can be beautiful. People like what they like. It's not the way I would personally keep the tank, but there's nothing wrong with it. If he's going to continue to take care of it, then just leave it. Because if you aren't there to maintain it, it's going to just go back to the way it is.

Now if your are taking the tank back under your care, then I would probably start over.

OP
OP
Castaway6

Castaway6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I dont plan on taking the tank. Its his now, I'm just more curious as to what everyone thinks would be the best for the tank. Dont get me wrong I love the xenia, though it's a little much, and I don't love the aiptasia but agree its cool to look at. I'm worried about them literally out growing the tank/ in the filter chambers..

It's the rsm nano, could a kleini survive in it? Let alone eat the stuff without it spreading? Some of these stocks are 4+inches, is it even possible for a critter or fish to eat that without making it worse?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a file fish. They will munch on it and they are a very cool peaceful fish

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aiptasia have to go if he ever wants to keep fish other than the clowns... and even then, I'd probably want them gone for the sake of the clowns. Aiptasia that are that big can and will kill fish - I used to own a firefish that blundered into an aiptasia that was smaller than what you dad has. Fifteen minutes later, it was dead.

Other than that - if it's his tank and he's happy with it, who are we to say otherwise?

jdstank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get nitrates down and Xenia will recede somewhat. Won’t kill it off but it will halt the progress. You can manually remove it from there and it won’t grow back very easy as long as the nitrates are kept low.

Others have great suggestions for the aps.

Vinegar dosing or vodka dosing will control the nitrates if the heavy feeding is going to continue.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back