Sodium bicarb

  • Thread starter Thread starter ajhudson15
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 26, 2017
Messages
1,420
Reaction score
1,030
Location
Bloomington, IN
What state or country do you live in
Indiana
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I currently mix my sodium bicarbonate according to the bag. Since my dosing container is not huge and I dose 80ml per day can I just double the amount of sodium bicarbonate I add to the rodi water to cut my dosing in half
 
I currently mix my sodium bicarbonate according to the bag. Since my dosing container is not huge and I dose 80ml per day can I just double the amount of sodium bicarbonate I add to the rodi water to cut my dosing in half

Unfortunately you can't make the sodium bicarbonate solution stronger by adding more to RODI water, due to max solubility. There is an alternative though if you choose to go with Soda Ash, which is roughly twice as potent as sodium bicarbonate. Changing over to Soda Ash will cut your current dose (80mls) just about in half to achieve the same target levels. The only difference being that Soda Ash has a slight pH increasing effect to the tank overall. (Which is good if you also want to target a higher pH in your tank.) :)
 
Unfortunately you can't make the sodium bicarbonate solution stronger by adding more to RODI water, due to max solubility. There is an alternative though if you choose to go with Soda Ash, which is roughly twice as potent as sodium bicarbonate. Changing over to Soda Ash will cut your current dose (80mls) just about in half to achieve the same target levels. The only difference being that Soda Ash has a slight pH increasing effect to the tank overall. (Which is good if you also want to target a higher pH in your tank.) :)
I did try soda ash and not saying its what caused it but I had my whole sps system stn. I never had an alk spike or anything but it was at the same time I made the switch so id rather play it safe lol
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new