Sodium bicarb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently mix my sodium bicarbonate according to the bag. Since my dosing container is not huge and I dose 80ml per day can I just double the amount of sodium bicarbonate I add to the rodi water to cut my dosing in half

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently mix my sodium bicarbonate according to the bag. Since my dosing container is not huge and I dose 80ml per day can I just double the amount of sodium bicarbonate I add to the rodi water to cut my dosing in half

Unfortunately you can't make the sodium bicarbonate solution stronger by adding more to RODI water, due to max solubility. There is an alternative though if you choose to go with Soda Ash, which is roughly twice as potent as sodium bicarbonate. Changing over to Soda Ash will cut your current dose (80mls) just about in half to achieve the same target levels. The only difference being that Soda Ash has a slight pH increasing effect to the tank overall. (Which is good if you also want to target a higher pH in your tank.) :)

OP
OP
ajhudson15

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately you can't make the sodium bicarbonate solution stronger by adding more to RODI water, due to max solubility. There is an alternative though if you choose to go with Soda Ash, which is roughly twice as potent as sodium bicarbonate. Changing over to Soda Ash will cut your current dose (80mls) just about in half to achieve the same target levels. The only difference being that Soda Ash has a slight pH increasing effect to the tank overall. (Which is good if you also want to target a higher pH in your tank.) :)
I did try soda ash and not saying its what caused it but I had my whole sps system stn. I never had an alk spike or anything but it was at the same time I made the switch so id rather play it safe lol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back