Soft Corals: Yay or Nay? Soft corals don't have to be BLAH!

How do you feel about soft corals?

• Love them

Votes: 674 78.4%
  • Meh...

Votes: 159 18.5%
  • Hate them

Votes: 12 1.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 1.7%

• Total voters

trio91

NJRC (New Jersey Reefers Club)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An older photo, but probably the nicest one
20200204_223119.jpg

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you feeding live phytoplankton? That really helped my green toadstool and devils hand that were growing slowly.
You have my attention... started recently dosing phyto feast and live phyto from algae barn for my christmas tree rock? Phyto beneifical obviously for all in some ways, but youre seeing it helps their growth huh?

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soft corals are my favorite as well. I mainly run a mixed reef but it is soft coral dominated.

_MG_2641.JPG

Interestingly enough my favorite soft coral is not in the tank. Cespitularia. I have it in 2 of my other tanks though. Really there just isn't a good spot for it in this tank since it's so jam packed. I would love to get my hands on a real yellow fiji toadstool. Had one years ago that was legit yellow. Now soft corals do seem to be trickling back into Canada but they have not been as yellow as in the past.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have my attention... started recently dosing phyto feast and live phyto from algae barn for my christmas tree rock? Phyto beneifical obviously for all in some ways, but youre seeing it helps their growth huh?
Fuel and phyto grows like crazy

Chaz D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, I've noticed more growth "nubs" on my devils hand. Also, within a few days of feeding the polyps seemed to be more extended laterally (vs. cupped). My toadstool has new folds typical of their growth pattern and polyps are longer. I have been feeding reef roids/benereef, however the phytoplankton has been a game changer. I get mine from Amazon (Mercer of Montana).

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I set up my reef tank I knew it was going to be softy dominate. The ease of care, the movement, magnificent colours and textures. I do think sps are pretty but compared to softies there is no competition in my eyes. My last coral order was almost entirely just Ricordea and I can't get over the colours, texture and movement! I recently just bought a frag of long polyped toadstool after falling in love with massive colony at work. I've only had it for about two weeks and have yet to see it fully extend but it just started shedding yesterday and I can't wait to see it come out! My green nepthea will always be one of my favourite corals, its absolutely stunning. It's a yay from me!
IMG_0993.jpg
IMG_0973.jpg
IMG_0980.jpg
IMG_0818.jpg

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with softies and will probably end with softies. I think my tank is 75% softies with the remaining LPS with a percent of SPS.

Cons
  • For beginners (noobs)
I tend to feel a little like it is a status thing if you haven't progressed to LPS and eventually SPS as I see all the time on newbie posts about "what corals to put in my tank", there is always, "when you decide on sps in the future." I made a decision after several years in the hobby and a few dead corals later to focus on a softy dominant reef in a small wall space since the only option at the time was fluorescent lighting. I now have LED and T5's. If SPS really don't work with this system I may pull the trigger on Xenia umbellata for my high light areas.
  • Invasive (take over your tank)
Yea....they can, probably should have tossed my green striped mushrooms years ago. But LPS can be invasive to areas due to sweeping tentacles and I've heard plenty of encrusting chalice stories that I've considered not trying those.
  • Boring colors (not many bright colors)
Yes...lots of flesh tones, but zoas have nice colors.
Pros
  • Less maintenance (less work)
To a point, but when I let my tank go and only the softies survived, so did the GHA.
  • Grows and reproduces fast (for fragging)
Yes and if you have weedy not attractive softies and your reef club is full of stick heads...that leaves you with not much to bargain with.
  • Movement (flows in the water)
Xenia...nuff said.
  • Cheaper corals
Yes I got some of mine for free!, But other than buying zoas , palys, GSP, I have a hard time finding frags of various softies like I used to back in the day.

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why is there no i like them but don't love them also
Super pumped about this post first off...

Currently in my mixed reef (softie dominant) I have a mixture of different sofites, but I am seeking out new and rare forms! This thread sure could help with that... SEEKING A WEEPING WILLOW FRAG!

Question #1: My favorite soft coral is neon green sinularia.. Saw a huge colony of it at an LFS in my younger years (reefbuilder has an epic build video Japanese style build showcases it well)

Question #2:

PROS:
Amazing movement (real ocean vibe), helpful for beginners, easy to frag, grows fast, and able to stay healthy during the tough times!

CONS: Lacking in color selections (exception being zoas/palys)

Just picked up a gorgeous Tongan Yellow Toadstool from a LFS and very happy with the new softie addition!

this place has them https://www.marinefarmers.com/product-page/green-weeping-willow-toadstool

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treat my soft coral system very similar to an sps system. Relatively high flow, relatively high lighting. It’s bare bottom with active detritus removal. I carbon dose and maintain lower alk (7.5). Alk is frequently tested. Nitrate and phosphate occasionally but I run gfo when it gets high.

I religiously do a weekly water change and feed all kinds of various high quality food.

Landers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I completely disagree on soft coral’s color being a con! Their light, more natural looking colors are much more beautiful and soothing to me than many other corals’ bright, neon colors that I personally feel are somewhat obnoxious and unnatural looking.
And my favorite softie at the moment would have to be leathers in general but specifically toadstools.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love soft corals! Toadstools are probably my favorite. A con I’d add is size. I only have a 40g tank. Some of those softies will just about fill a 40b.
I have a devils and 15 *15. Its massive

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad iPhone photo but you can see my Japanese neon toadstool. It was the size of a dime 3 years ago and now it’s still only about 4” in size.

8CEFE40E-7758-4A91-AAA2-5506A482151C.jpeg
Oh that is very cool!! I could get into that...I worry with my 56 gal tank that some of the leather/toadstools will outgrow my tank too quickly and what to do if they do. But 3 years for a slow grow out would not be bad.

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just can't beat the coloration of zoas/palys. It's a definite LOVE THEM for me!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 143 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back