Something eating fish while sleeping? Or infection?

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning to see my firefish with a red rash. Before this morning he already had some fin damage from a bully clownfish, which I have rehomed a week or so ago. However, this morning was particularly odd because not only was there a red flesh wound? that appeared, the fins seemed to have been further damaged. In fact, if I look clearly some of the fins still have its bones but its flesh has been eaten like a part of a skeleton. Two things come to mind, either something has been eating this fish while it's been sleeping or its a bacterial/fungal infection. He's been eating fine but often has a weird slumped looking posture like how he is in one of the pictures.
Tankmates:
2 Anemone Porcelain Crabs (one has no pair of pincers)
2 Fire shrimp
2 Nass snails
2 Trochus snails
3 Astrea snails
1 mini brittle star
Some sps (birds nest, acros, montis)
Some mushrooms, zoas, gsp,hammers, dragons breath...

Another important detail... a week ago a barnacle blenny seemingly disappeared (they are very tiny though)...I found the body later next to a rock rotting. However, it almost looked like something was eating it, like some kind of worm? I tried to grab the body and the worm??but I couldn't. It didn't appear very large at all though, maybe the size of a fireworm

8D04D0CC-4CDB-4A17-98C7-9F8E0C2E5ACB.jpeg AAFD264D-DCA6-493B-ABDC-A14EEA8B6771.jpeg 52612D75-68CD-48D2-A398-6278C6A6332D.jpeg

OP
OP
BloopFish

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantined?
Are you asking if this fish has been quarantined or is in quarantine? This fish has been in the tank, unquarantined for almost two months. Has been healthy, save for the nipped fins from the clownfish, until now.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was asking if it had been quarantined.

The worm that was eating the dead corpse was probably a bristleworm and it was doing what it's supposed to do.

OP
OP
BloopFish

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was asking if it had been quarantined.

The worm that was eating the dead corpse was probably a bristleworm and it was doing what it's supposed to do.
I figured that, but was just giving every single detail so nothing is ruled out. Scavengers can often prey on weak, sick, or dying fish before they are completely dead so it was something to consider.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did not bring in any new live rock within the last month or so? Sometimes a tiny octopus will stowaway on the rock. They do the same one kind of damage at night but typically will eat more of the fish and later as they get bigger they eat all of it.

OP
OP
BloopFish

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did not bring in any new live rock within the last month or so? Sometimes a tiny octopus will stowaway on the rock. They do the same one kind of damage at night but typically will eat more of the fish and later as they get bigger they eat all of it.
The only live rock I've ever added was added a while before the firefish was even added (so months ago). I've only ever added dry marco rock and frags since.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a bacterial infection to me. Could be secondary to an injury. The other possibility is uronema but I am not sure that would be the case here. Especially if your clownfish has been picking on the fish.

Keep an eye on it, if it grows in size then you may want to consider removing the fish and treating it with antibiotics in a QT.

Back