Something on New Frags

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there all!

I hope you're well and your week is going along nicely!

I noticed when I received my dendro it had some stringy sort of something hanging on it and having been watching it closely since. It's in my QT tank with a few other corals and all of them have been dipped in ReVive and Bayer and will stay in quarantine for 30 days post-symptom. Today, it looks like some of this something may be green hair algae while the other something is something I don't know what the heck it is. Any advice on what to do to get rid of the green hair and also any idea what the other stuff is (the translucent stuff on the left)?

Here's a video: (it's closed up a bit because I just fed it, but it's easier to see the stringy stuff while it's closed a bit)

Thank you so much in advance!

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there all!

I hope you're well and your week is going along nicely!

I noticed when I received my dendro it had some stringy sort of something hanging on it and having been watching it closely since. It's in my QT tank with a few other corals and all of them have been dipped in ReVive and Bayer and will stay in quarantine for 30 days post-symptom. Today, it looks like some of this something may be green hair algae while the other something is something I don't know what the heck it is. Any advice on what to do to get rid of the green hair and also any idea what the other stuff is (the translucent stuff on the left)?

Here's a video: (it's closed up a bit because I just fed it, but it's easier to see the stringy stuff while it's closed a bit)

Thank you so much in advance!

Looks like algae to me. A snail will come along and eat it. You can also manually remove but be careful not to damage the polyps tissue.

missourimud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The snail wont hurt anything, just make sure it wont tip any frags over. If you're keeping a running quarantine the snail will be great to keep in, i would keep in both the quarantine and the display:)

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep I'm kind snails and inverts don't do well in a fish QT with medication especially copper. In my opinion ambient room light should be enough for a qt and helps avoid algae for the most part. :)

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep I'm kind snails and inverts don't do well in a fish QT with medication especially copper. In my opinion ambient room light should be enough for a qt and helps avoid algae for the most part. :)
The snail wont hurt anything, just make sure it wont tip any frags over. If you're keeping a running quarantine the snail will be great to keep in, i would keep in both the quarantine and the display:)

I currently have a platygyra, clove, candy cane, dendro, and duncan in my coral QT for the next 30 days and I would like to combat any nuisance algae that is on the frags before adding them to my display, but I'm not sure what the best way to do that would be. Is it okay to keep the lights off in a coral QT? I actually just got them all acclimated to my DT's photoperiod, so I feel like turning off the light would be a step backwards if anything.

Maybe adding an astrea snail would help to accomplish this? Then once the algae is gone from the frags move it to my display (where I am currently suddenly having algae issues :rolleyes: )?

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, unfortunately, the green hair algae has now spread to my new clove frag and it looks like it’s stressing it out. The growth was pretty rapid, over only 2-3 days. I am going to run to a LFS here so I can try to grab some astrea and nassarius snails, but I am worried that, since they will need to be quarantined, quarantining them with my coral frags could spread something to my corals.

I obviously really need to get this algae under control, but I‘m afraid of contaminating my QT and causing some worse problems in place of the algae.... anyone have any advice?

0BAFEBBB-C231-437E-9BF6-5F27C3B4E5AA.jpeg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that a dendro is non-photosynthetic. So it can be kept in complete darkness. But for frags, you can manually scrub the plugs they’re on in a dish of tank water.

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that a dendro is non-photosynthetic. So it can be kept in complete darkness. But for frags, you can manually scrub the plugs they’re on in a dish of tank water.
This little clove frag has a whole bunch of little polyps forming on the little bit of plug I didn’t remove, so I’m afraid to scrub it for fear of destroying the little guys. is there a way to safely do that? Is my snail idea a bust?

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I went ahead and placed an order with Aquarium Depot for 4 Astrea, 1 Spiny Astrea (all they had in stock), and 4 Nassarius snails. They will all go into QT with my frags, so hopefully they all do alright together. I don't have any substrate in my QT, so hopefully the nassarius snails don't cause any issues. Any advice is appreciated!

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dip those plugs in hydrogen peroxide. Just try to do the plug and mot the coral. Also a clean toothbrush or even a bitter knife or screwdriver. Anything you can scrape as much of that stuff off as possible

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dip those plugs in hydrogen peroxide. Just try to do the plug and mot the coral. Also a clean toothbrush or even a bitter knife or screwdriver. Anything you can scrape as much of that stuff off as possible
The not so good thing is that on the dendro, it's not a plug. I removed it from the plug and the green hair is on the skeleton part beneath the polyp. The clove just has a couple of baby polyps on the little bit of plug I had to leave, so I am super afraid of hurting them.

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, snails came in yesterday and so far I have not seen any movement from any of the four Astrea snails, but my spiny astrea is busy chowing down on the GHA growing on the skeletal part of my dendro (yay!) I also glued all but my platygyra down to some new plugs to keep them from taking a tumble under the weight of the snails (very thankful I did that).

Problem is, the GHA is now growing on the stalks of my cloves. I have tried to remove it multiple times, but it is hard stuck to them and I am afraid of damaging them by pulling it off.

Is there anything I can do? Should I just wait and give my astreas more time before I assume them all dead?

Please help!

IMG_9807.JPG

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I watched a BRS video on Vibrant and it looks like it gets rid of GHA, so I ordered a bottle of the stuff and will begin dosing on Friday when it comes in.

If anyone has any 'meantime' advice to share, please do!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
watch out while doing any carbon dosing (vibrant is a form of it), what are the nutrient levels in the tank, parameters? dendro should be shaded and out of direct light as well. I dont know how clove polyps would react but an h2o2 dip would prob clear the gha from the coral.

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
watch out while doing any carbon dosing (vibrant is a form of it), what are the nutrient levels in the tank, parameters? dendro should be shaded and out of direct light as well. I dont know how clove polyps would react but an h2o2 dip would prob clear the gha from the coral.
I ran the full spectrum on Sunday and this is where I was at:

Water parameters:

Salinity: 1.025
Temperature: 79.8F
Ammonia: Looks to be 0, but definitely less than 0.05ppm. (per Salifert & Seachem Ammonia Badge)
Nitrates: Between 5.0 & 10ppm
KH: ~161.1ppm
pH: ~8.0
Phosphate: 0ppm
Calcium: ~420ppm

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are you using to check the nitrate and phosphate? also did you check that your rodi water is running 0 tds?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a water change to try to lower nitrate but 0 phosphate isnt great either. Putting the dendro out of any light and in full shade will help as it is nonphotosynthetic, while the algae needs the light.

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I just started running tests and I have a bit of an ammonia spike, most likely caused by some Astrea snails I had die in the tank. Doing a really big water change now, then I'll get back to you on the DS count.

Back