Sooo... Many...Skimmers

What Skimmer Brand do you Trust/Use? And why?

• Skimz

• Deltec

• Innovative Marine

• Reef Octopus

• EShopps

• Vertex

• Somatic

• Tunze

• Precision marine

• NYOS

• Aqua Maxx

• Bubble Magus

• Ice Cap

• LifeReef

• Other - ASk and I will Add

• SCA

• Eco Tech

• Aqua C

• Simplicity Aquatics

• ASM

• Euro Reef

• Bubble King

• Diablo

Results are only viewable after voting.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOTE: You can Choose 3 vendors in the poll total.

In preparation of my Sump build, I am gonna spend this week sifting through possibly hundreds of skimmer posts, reviews, etc..

There are so many brands, so many different choices. Its overwhelming.

How can so many different vendors compete with a product that basically all function in the same manner? They are super competitive with pricing, yet options aren't that abundant. It's basically the same idea copied and redesigned, and tweaked.

Let's put a $400 Price cap on it. Nothing for systems larger than 250Gallons. (I am limiting this to avoid outrageous skimmers that most don't need, or cant afford) Its understood if you have a HUGE system, you have an equally HUGE budget. Sorry rich boys and gals, you gotta sit this one out.

What IN-SUMP skimmer brand do you use, or recommend, and why!?! Unique Operation? Versatility? Customizable flow controller? Size? Pump Quality? Neck Size and shape? Customer Service?

#reefsquad

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoy and always recommend the Reef Octopus skimmers. Mine has always pulled a good skim, it broke in relatively quickly, and runs dead silent. Coralvue customer service is excellent. And I think that part of buying a product is also researching into the company that backs up that product ;)

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully this poll actually works and I can at least narrow down to a few choices instead of 12+ vendors. I made it so u can choose 3.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can so many different vendors compete with a product that basically all function in the same manner? They are super competitive with pricing, yet options aren't that abundant. It's basically the same idea copied and redesigned, and tweaked.

These were my exact thoughts when looking for skimmers a few years ago. That's why I went with the SCA-301. It has the same shape and same basic function as skimmers that cost twice or three times what it did. It even uses the same pump as some of the Bubble Magus skimmers. I've been using it for the last 2 years or more, and it's been working great.

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a NYOS 300 (with that said the 300 is a beast of a skimmer) but I am sure any model of NYOS would work well. I liked the finish and polish of the product. Also wanted a larger skimmer for my 280-gallon build. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/trickman2s-280-gallon-upgrade.369124/

So far I am happy with it. The larger skimmer cup is very nice.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These were my exact thoughts when looking for skimmers a few years ago. That's why I went with the SCA-301. It has the same shape and same basic function as skimmers that cost twice or three times what it did. It even uses the same pump as some of the Bubble Magus skimmers. I've been using it for the last 2 years or more, and it's been working great.

SCA added... :)

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following....

Looking for a skimmer myself. Leaning towards reef octopus.

Saw a bubble magus in the marketplace forum but not too familiar with the brand and couldn’t find many reviews on the A8

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also running a NYOS after running RO skimmers for years. I like the internal pumps and the ability to completely dismantle the skimmer for easy cleaning.
I guess I did forget to mention it can completely come apart. Another big perk for sure. Have never run a Reef Octopus. I did have a euroreef skimmer which lasted a long time.

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go with Reef Octopus as well... My 152S is 3 years in and still going strong... Like Crabs said, “Coralvue customer service is excellent.” Thats from my experience as well...

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Octopus Classic 225-INT. It's on it's third tank now and it just works. It doesn't make me coffee or toast or even help me tinkle, but it does pull skimate and does so consistently without issue.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following....

Looking for a skimmer myself. Leaning towards reef octopus.

Saw a bubble magus in the marketplace forum but not too familiar with the brand and couldn’t find many reviews on the A8

I just saw that too... uncontrollable DC power makes me worry

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, have no experience with them, but anytime I hear that you cant control or adjust something I shy away from it. lol

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoy and always recommend the Reef Octopus skimmers. Mine has always pulled a good skim, it broke in relatively quickly, and runs dead silent. Coralvue customer service is excellent. And I think that part of buying a product is also researching into the company that backs up that product ;)

Your R.O. is winning the race... but less than 35 votes aint gonna cut it. I need more data points!

NeedmoreInput.gif

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all. There is no such thing as a “best” skimmer. Anyone who says that, you can just translate it.

“Best” : what I presently use.

That is what anyone always means when they say that. So bear in mind. People will ONLY recommend what they currently use, and furthermore, I’d wager a large number of people who make that recommendation haven’t actually used any other skimmers besides the one they’re recommending. Just to get that out of the way. Onto my own experience

I have used:
Eshopps ps150 I think? Older model
Bubble Magus Curve 5
Bubble Magus Curve 7
Lifereef VS2

I settled on the Lifereef for a couple reasons.

1. Build quality. They’re hand made. By one person. One at a time. Exceptional attention to detail. Super thick acrylic. Will last decades if you don’t damage it.

2. Standard plumbing parts. You can pick up anything you need to modify it from the hardware store. Why would you modify it? They can be run externally, internally, you may change sumps, rearrange your sump, ect. I run my skimmer pump in a completely different chamber of the sump.

3. Ease of maintenance. It’s a high flow skimmer. They don’t collect as much detritus because the flow is more turbulent through them, the body doesn’t need as frequent of cleaning as a needlewheel skimmer may. You don’t have to remove and disassemble the entire skimmer to clean the pump.

4. No proprietary pump. You can use whatever pump you want with it. No special attachment plate or fittings needed. If you want a bigger or smaller pump, pick whatever you want. No more having replacement pumps shipped from overseas on a budget skimmer, no more “sorry that model is discontinued, no we can’t give you a replacement impeller”

5. No need to buy a new skimmer if you upgrade tanks **** gotta Star this because if you have the SVS models that have flanged tips with thumb screws, you can simply purchase a body extension and make the existing skimmer taller to upgrade its skimming capacity. Or even diy in an additional Venturi.

My only gripe with mine is I have the standard VS model where the tip is glued on. So I can’t remove it to easily clean the body or upgrade the skimmer if i felt so inclined. But I got it used for $100 so not complaining. The price point on a new 24” Lifereef will be in your budget range.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%

Back