Spaceing thoughts

kintle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I mounted my frags from battlecoral. My general thought as I've been planning where to place what in my 18month old tank is, I want to leave lots of space for my sticks to mature into colonies over the next few years. As luck would have it its something he's written about in one of his articles on the website. It seems the current trend is people growing out nub forests looking for a "full crowded tank" quickly even if the tank is lots of mini colonies and few mature colonies. I find I'm aiming for long term giant colonies but with my relative newb experience, I'm left to wonder how much space should I be leaveing. Ideally I'd like to upgrade to a larger tank in 3 or 4 years but until then I'm curious who in the hobby still spaces sticks out with a vision for years down the road rather then quick results of colors and crowded space. Is this a more old school thought process and is lost to the new age part of the hobby, surely I can't be unique in my thoughts here. Would love to know. How much space is to much space. How long do I let them encrust before filling the voids with zoas or other sticks. I've assumed I'd let them encrust for a while and could use zoas to cover what's left of the exposed rock but is that a mistake that would simply overtake the acros even further down the road. Would love to here some of the other more experienced reefers ramblings on this and of course who doesn't like colorful pictures to drool over.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to place things in the tank in a way that balances out color, movement and shapes. My wife, who's huge into design and fashion, really helps me out with making sure the tank is appealing to the eyes.

Having said that, I do think about growth, but I don't really space things out based on growth. I space them based on safety from other corals (with a hint of spacing for growth). Honestly, it's sometimes hard to guess how Acros will grow...especially how fast they might grow. Nutrients, flow and light will all play a roll, as well as just plain dumb luck.

For example, I have this one Acro that sat in my tank for 8-10 months without growing AT ALL. Like it didn't even encrust. And then one day, BOOM, it decides to take off. Next thing you know I'm cutting it up and placing pieces into another tank.

Make sure you leave room for some growth, but more importantly IMO, leave room for safety. You don't want coral warfare going on. Not every inch of rock needs, nor should, be covered in something.

guylaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my problem, finite space but virtually infinite acropora possibilities.

I try to leave at least a "thumbs length" space between frags to give enough room to base out and start vertical growth.

Of course it depends on how that specific coral will grow out, ones that grow up and then plate out get more room or are placed lower in the tank to avoid shading things. Stags or more vertical growers can get placed closer or higher up since they wont shade as much.

Also try to blend color, and not put a bunch of the same color in one section of the tank.

OP
OP
kintle

kintle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thoughts thank you. Kinda curious to see how the tabling acros grow before I try a clam if it goes the direction I'd like I should be able to add a clam in that corner, if it doesn't I guess I'll hold off till I eventually upgrade my tank again.

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW,
I have 4" circumference planned around each acro for future growth. My corals are now in the mini-colony stage, and I already see problems down the road. There is a vast difference of what a 1/2" to 1" frag will look like when you phase in to a mini-colony and further. I use these terms by old standards not todays. A mini-colony to me is at least 4" with a 2" encrusted base. Some will base out, and could get to 2-3" before they sprout, this is my case with many. I already see forced trimming in the 6 months to a year. This is my experience, use how you wish :)
Cheers

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a well cared for SPS system you can have colonies, started as frags, well beyond a foot in diameter in 3 years. Some much more, some less.

Back