Spare no expense - Looking for the best light

MattL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’m starting a very custom 60 gallon 2x2“ cube tank in my bar and I’m looking for a very compact light which I can hide in a hanging lamp, which I’ll be having custom made. With so many lights out there I need some guidance. Any help will be great. If anyone has something which might be similar pictures would be great. I’ve been saving for years since we built our new home, so any suggestions are welcome. I’ve been in the hobby since I was a child and had many very exceptional reef tanks, but with a house build I have been out of it for the last five years. Thank you for any advice!

Have a good day!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
250 watt giesemann spectra. Done.
Save about $500.. LOL
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1114779532...d0dHRJwSXG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
DE though....

Discontinued?
Ballast extra..

Not sure anyone would argue against the Straton as a contender

Light choice depends on function and other requirements ( including mounting height).

Last edited:

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plenty of lights that will work for you. IMO, the best being Stratons, Radions and Orphek. The issue is fitting them into your light fixture. Would need to see it to really help. Also, lighting needs are very dependent on what you plan to keep in your tank. If corals, what kinds make a difference.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’m starting a very custom 60 gallon 2x2“ cube tank in my bar and I’m looking for a very compact light which I can hide in a hanging lamp, which I’ll be having custom made. With so many lights out there I need some guidance. Any help will be great. If anyone has something which might be similar pictures would be great. I’ve been saving for years since we built our new home, so any suggestions are welcome. I’ve been in the hobby since I was a child and had many very exceptional reef tanks, but with a house build I have been out of it for the last five years. Thank you for any advice!

Have a good day!

Not to be that person but you have no requirements other than a 2 x 2 cube display and very compact.

• What corals
  • What fish
  • What sort of spectrum is pleasing to your or your families eyes
  • What size is the hanging thing that is being custom made
  • What sort of cooling or thermal management or vents in custom thing being made
  • Is any controller involved
  • If controller do you want integration with light(s)

Also as you are aware you are going to get a lot of different opinions most of which will be biased. A single Kessil could light that easy. So could a Radion. A SKY. A Straton. A Gen 2 coral care. You get the idea. Hobbyist love to spend other hobbyist money but you need to provide some more information to get better opinions.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I threw out a quick easy answer which would satisfy all requirements on coral health and enjoyable visual experience, with little to no chance of making a mistake.

But….it needs to be said, if you are hoping to buy success with a reef tank, money is far better spent on real ocean harvested rock and sand. That’ll take you infinitely farther than any choice in the lighting department. Secondary to that, a Neptune trident, and 4 ecotech mp10’s for that tank would do well also if we are spending some dough.

After that…literally any reputable reef oriented light tuned with a par meter and left alone will work marginally the same as the next choice. Lighting is a very visual aspect (obviously) of the hobby and an easy one to tinker with, but Is ultimately over-valued on making or breaking a tank. Pick what you think looks best over the tank and find yourself some REAL quality live rock and sand.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Save about $500.. LOL
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1114779532...d0dHRJwSXG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
DE though....

Discontinued?
Ballast extra..

Not sure anyone would argue against the Straton as a contender

Light choice depends on function and other requirements ( including mounting height).

I had the eBay one on my 40 breeder with 14k phoenix bulbs and blue+ and Tru actinic. Wayyy to much I was bleaching my rocks. But the color was awesome and no shadows anywhere.

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do this:

first time removing the sun domes clear inside cover to inspect the tubes, after 11 years they are still looking great. I have new domes for the outside arriving soon.
20220226_155011.jpg
20220226_155055.jpg
20220226_155124.jpg
20220226_155126.jpg
20220226_155425.jpg

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 ATI Straton. Just switched from a t5/led hybrid to address the heat and couldn’t be happier. They blow away my radions.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best how? Performance? Aesthetics? Apps? There could be other things that define best.

I have no idea about apps. Aesthetics are personal choice. If you want performance, then Metal Halide is still unbeaten for pure response from corals and tank inhabitants.

Best is pretty subjective. If you can narrow it down, then you are sure to get a lot of good help.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back