Spider Farmer

CayeCaulker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using a Spider Farmer 24" x 24" light to keep tropicals alive this winter. It consumes consumes 300watts of power and has an efficiency of 2.7 OLUM/J using new Samsung lamps.

I have a large deck and have all kinds of tropicals that live there in summer. This light is keeping them alive in winter while they are indoors and they are growing like total weeds. The the icing on the cake is that the color looks like natural sunlight and is not blurple. I hate blurple lights. I am a metal halide guy but boy these things are so awesome! The light is normal looking and the plants are loving it. I wish I had done this for my plants last year.

Has anyone ever tried one on a tank?
The light model is SE3000

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never tried one, but spectrum-wise and PAR-wise it looks like it would work (though most people would probably say it’ll work best for growing algae since it’s not pure blue). My main concern would just be how it holds up against the water/humidity, as I can’t find an IP rating for it, but I see it labeled for indoor use (I’ve seen it said that the diodes themselves are water-resistant though).

Hopefully someone who’s tried it will comment, but - otherwise- I’d assume it would work as long as the light could handle the moisture.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back